Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:05 AM   #1

Jayco Seneca refugee seeking asylum

Hello Renegade Owners!

I am a current Jayco Seneca owner who has finally got fed up having to totally rebuild my RV via new parts. You name it, I've replaced it.

Yesterday I paid a deposit down on a 2022 Renegade Verona 40VRB. I am hoping Renegade isn't nearly the piece of crap Jayco is.

There are a few reasons I decided to go with the Verona 40VRB. I REALLY like the 8.9 Liter Cummins. The Seneca has a 6.7 liter. That's just not enough engine if you towing anything more than a toad.

I also needed the bunkhouse above the cab. I looked at buying an American Eagle 45A Heritage coach, but they are made for 2 people. I have 2 teenage boys. Where are they supposed to sleep, on the floor? Plus, too many gadgets. I have found gadgets = more broken crap.

Are there any known issues with the Verona's I should be on the lookout for? Do I need to go to Harbor Freight and buy the bigger toolbox option? Do I need Good Sam towing on speed dial? Please tell me I have seen the light and made the right decision.

Alan Ward
Johnson City TN
Clayduster71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #2

The only thing I do not like on my new Valencia (and maybe Other models) is the sewer hose storage is in the under compartment with the fresh water filter and water hose. Too close together for me. I put the sewer hose container in the propane tank compartment to separate them. I just feel better that way. It was a easy move to do.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:31 PM   #3

Have a 2017 Verona so its a bit different than you ordered. Its a RV so things will go wrong. Have fulltimed for 15 years in 3 different rvs. The Verona we have is no better or no worse than the others we’ve had. When we ordered the Verona we looked at the Seneca, DX3 and Verona. We got the Verona due to its perceived quality. Its Ok but not sure it was any better than any other. Only time will tell if you made the right choice....hope you do well.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #4

Welcome to the Renegade sigh of relief. We fulltimed in a Jayco Embark (bigger Brother to Seneca)for 4 years and 30,000 miles. Spent at least one weekend a month-on repairs. Repairs and replacements included aerocap ripping loose from cab, broken Slide mechanism, failed Battery switch, 3 coach water pumps . Two A/C repairs . On and on. Finally Found a 6 year old Renegade Explorer Fm3000 which is very similar to the Verona. 40 ft over all length Freightliner M2 chassis , ISC 8.3 Cummins etc. 18 months an 11000 miles later ive fixed exactly one thing (which by the way I broke) .
The build quality of these things is more on the line of a high end Sailing Yacht ( think SWAN) Take a Breath , your gonna enjoy .
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:17 AM   #5

Originally I called the dealer about a 1 year old Renegade Classic they had online. He told me someone had paid down on it and that's when I paid down on the new Verona. Sunday I texted the salesman and asked if the guy bought the classic, he immediately called me back and said he didn't, so now I'm buying the Classic.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayduster71 View Post
Originally I called the dealer about a 1 year old Renegade Classic they had online. He told me someone had paid down on it and that's when I paid down on the new Verona. Sunday I texted the salesman and asked if the guy bought the classic, he immediately called me back and said he didn't, so now I'm buying the Classic.
Awesome - big difference, IMO, between Verona and Classic.

Looking forward to seeing pics!
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #7

Love the Classic

We to were originally going to buy a Verona, until I walked into and drove a Classic. We couldn't be happier with our selection. Ours is a 2014, but the build quality, durability and overall workmanship are still evident throughout. In 10 months, we have driven 10,000 miles and camped over 50 nights without a single issue. Its the king of the road, every where we go, people stop and stare and want to talk to you about the rig. Good luck, waiting to hear the details of what size and layout you have.
KFed 90-10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFed 90-10 View Post
We to were originally going to buy a Verona, until I walked into and drove a Classic. We couldn't be happier with our selection. Ours is a 2014, but the build quality, durability and overall workmanship are still evident throughout. In 10 months, we have driven 10,000 miles and camped over 50 nights without a single issue. Its the king of the road, every where we go, people stop and stare and want to talk to you about the rig. Good luck, waiting to hear the details of what size and layout you have.
2020 Renegade Classic 41 CRBX with a DD13 505 HP and Allison.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
The only thing I do not like on my new Valencia (and maybe Other models) is the sewer hose storage is in the under compartment with the fresh water filter and water hose. Too close together for me. I put the sewer hose container in the propane tank compartment to separate them. I just feel better that way. It was a easy move to do.
I have a Valencia as well. I store my 2 sewer hoses in the same bays where the grey and black water tanks are located. Plenty of room and keeps them separated from the main water control bays.
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:05 AM   #10

Clayduster71, if you want to get a feel for the kinds of issues faced by Renegade owners, I suggest also joining the Renegade Owners Facebook group. Yes, I'm not a FB fan either, but it is a much more active forum than this group.

IMO, this IRV2 forum is more technical and the people who participate are better problem-solvers. But FB has the volume. And if you're looking for complaints and discontents, you'll find plenty there.
Uncle_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #11

Agree with net jam....."No better, no worse" in terms of quality. It's a good coach but with the issues below I believe it was overpriced and that Renegade quality is way, way, way over hyped.

Problems on 2018 36VSB in first 30 months. Nearly of them in first 24 months.

Rubber baseboard molding around steps came unglued on first warm weather trim. The adhesive used was a gluey mess to clean up and repair. It never set, it just melts, requires acetone to clean it up.

Self closing drawer slides of very cheap quality. Replaced 3 sets in first 24 months. Originals continue to fail. Woody sends new slides, but same quality as original.

Control board (ignitor) for furnace failed. Woody sent a new one.

Propane pressure gauge sending unit had to be replaced. Woody sent a new one.

Particle board drawer in dinette crumbled and screws attaching the slides pulled out. Rebuilt drawer out of good cabinet plywood.

Leveling jacks hydraulic pump mounted to steel box/platform against M2 frame rail. Aluminum pump valve body mounted to platform with mild steel bolts. Pump body not grounded. Galvanic corrosion of steel bolts turned them to dust, pump slides around box ungrounded, repeated beeping from controller while driving indicating jacks are down at 65 mph. Really shoddy construction . Fixed it myself, re-installed it right with appropriate bolts and good ground to chassis. This was at less than 10K miles.

Plastic cover on wiring terminal box under rear of coach (where the 7-Way rear plug is wired) missing after trip home from dealer. Ordered new terminal box, installed it myself.

Arriving at home after pick up from dealer find rear axle flange bolts loose, differential heavy weight oil slung all over both sides of coach. Axle bolts all loose, can turn them with your fingers. I regard this as a significant safety problem. Trip to Freightliner, new gaskets, axle flange bolts torqued to specification, fill diff with oil. Renegade referred my complaint to point of contact at supplier of their M2 chassis. His response..."I'm not surprised at all, we ship those chassis to Renegade stacked with rear axles/wheels off. The manufacturers, in this case Renegade, frequently don't re-install them correctly." Rep thru Renegade under the bus, absolutely no apology or regret expressed by Renegade or Freightliner. Just finger pointing.

Coach delivered in winter (March 1)and was winterized (at factory) when took delivery. Flushed out antifreeze and put in fresh water first of April. Water poured out of Splendide washer. Dealt with Splendid direct and them shipped free a new hot/cold mixer valve assembly. They say it's a common problem with dealers not winterizing washer correctly. Getting the washer on a 36VSB out of cabinet to replace valve is a nightmare. Coach was built around it. Splendide is a good company.

Swivel plates on driver and passenger cab seats require super human strength to rotate the seat. Renegade refers you to Freightliner. Freightliner say just squirt some WD 40 in there. We finally just ripped the swivel mechanisms out.

The Care Free awning problem you all know about.

Or dealer was true to form for an RV dealer. Of no use.

Netjam got it right, No better, no worse. Just a typical RV.

But three cheers to Woody. He is responsive and helpful within his power. I think he is the last of a dying breed.
DeetsMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:19 PM   #12

Yes, Woody is the man, always very helpful with warranty items and most helpful answering questions. He is a rare man in the RV business. Has helped me numerous times, mostly answering questions.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:52 PM   #13
UAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtk View Post
I have a Valencia as well. I store my 2 sewer hoses in the same bays where the grey and black water tanks are located. Plenty of room and keeps them separated from the main water control bays.
X2

I also removed that ridiculous white tube in there to provide more room for other items related to the wet bay.
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
Roughrider hello, I'm 100% with you - I could not believe that Renegade would store the sewer hose just inches from the water supply. I took care of the problem and removed the tube, you can see from the image there was rusted filing under the tube, I also installed a macerator on my Verona here's some images and a link to my Macerator article on this forum. I still keep my hose stored under the gray tank just in case, since the macerator can be removed in just seconds if needed.

sorry about the twisted image but it shows a good place to hang the filter wrench!

P.S. I might also mention that other than a few small items, my coach was 99% perfect at delivery. It's not that I'm lucky, I've been watching the Renegade line for half a decade before I bought mine, and while no coach is trouble free, Renegade is at the top of the list for companies that do put extra effort to make sure the coach is road ready when it leaves their facility!

Thanks Mike

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f297/eas...as-507786.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	342548   Click image for larger version

Name:	w3.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	342549