Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2021, 10:50 AM   #1

M2's Seat Height and Recline Dilemma!

Hello M2 Owners - While our Renegade's have a lot of great features, her one major fault is the driver & passenger seats. While I've learned to live with the seats "over-Height" by "carefully" lowering the air pressure to get my 6'2" vision below the top of the windshield, my 2nd fault is the seats lack of ability to recline. For this reason, Other than replacing the seat, I thought it would be a great topic if some of our seasoned M2 owners could pitch in their knowledge to help our Renegade seats more acceptable.

When we switch seats to get a break while driving, regretfully the passenger seat has a "Limit Stop" which prevents the seat back from reclining, myself I can't cat-nap is a vertical seat! While for unknown reasons the seat tilt's forward it offers no back recline at all. While I'm sure its design was to accommodate the back of the cab, by sliding the seat forward we would be able to recline.

Before I tear into the seat mechanics, I wanted to see if a few M2 owners might have already addressed this problem. My first guess is it appears that re-setting the tilt mechanics, I might be able to tilt it less forward allowing it to tilt aft.

Thanks in Advance - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seaat2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	345056   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	345057  

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #2

Following
outlawten5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #3

I removed the swivel mechanism from the driver's seat. It made a big difference in ride comfort, as I can now be at an appropriate height and the seat doesn't sharply bottom out anymore. I left the passenger side alone as my wife prefers to have the airbag fully deflated.

Staying tuned for recline discussions.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
I removed the swivel mechanism from the driver's seat. It made a big difference in ride comfort, as I can now be at an appropriate height and the seat doesn't sharply bottom out anymore. I left the passenger side alone as my wife prefers to have the airbag fully deflated.

Staying tuned for recline discussions.

Thanks for the reply - I'm going to check mine - not sure if my driver seat swivels. Here's a image of my seat.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M2 HIGH BACK.png
Views:	31
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	345067  
Old 10-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #5

My seat looks exactly the same except no heat function. Yours may not have a swivel, but on mine I had the exact same problem as you described (too high seating position, had to get air pressure JUST right or I'd bottom out, etc). But I wouldn't be surprised if other years/models do or don't have it. On mine it was an "aftermarket" addition (by Renegade) not Frightliner.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #6

Good News Bad News - The good is; both of mine swivel (which I never use) & the bad news is; there does not appear to be an option to re-set the pins position of the seat back using the present hardware.

As the images show, the knob has a track built in which moves a pin engaged to a lever on the seat back. As the pin moves closer to center the seat back is in full back position. As the pin moves further from center, the seat back moves forward. It's a real Goofy design I can move the seat back some 20 degrees forward which has "Zero" use, but only straight up in the other direction. Short of modifying the bracket which is mounted to the seat it looks grim for an easy fix. Anyhow, I gave it a shot, any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Stay Safe - Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	345084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	345085  

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	345086  
Old 10-10-2021, 12:22 AM   #7

Supposedly the swivel mechanism only takes up 1" of room of the total height or keeps the seat 1" from bottoming out. The factory seats were not acceptable to us so I upgraded to Superior Seats from Indiana. The seats are built well enough to where I never use the air ride in them anymore. As far as the recline, well I think they all suck because they hit the back of the cab wall/ start of living room wall. Its like trying to cram 5 lbs of........ well you know what I mean. Just a fault from owning a Super C. Im only 6' but my main complaints are not enough recline and not enough leg room to stretch the legs on a long drive. If Im not driving my legs usually end up on the dash so I can stretch out.
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #8

My 17 has the older seats and suffers from same issues only worse, far less adjustment. Renegade is aware of the swivel problem and it is on their radar, so I was told at Hershey. The real fix is the Explorer on the Cascadia chassis but out of my budget, much larger cab. Seat bothers my wife more than I, but she has been use to having a power reclining big boy seat in our previous bus. I always thought it was too soft and cushy, I always sat on a folded up towel to firm it up some.
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #9

I installed the Seats Inc. Pinnacle seats in my Renegade. Huge improvement in comfort, recline, adjustability, etc.
Old 10-27-2021, 01:43 PM   #10

Did you keep the swivel bases and how do the seats fit the cab? Do you have any pics or any other info?
Old 10-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lslblues View Post
I installed the Seats Inc. Pinnacle seats in my Renegade. Huge improvement in comfort, recline, adjustability, etc.

Thanks for the replies - if you have some images and cost it would be helpful to some owners. Myself replacing the seats is not an option, can't see scraping two air seats. It's only a problem for myself at 6'2" I'm looking at the roof line in the cab. As a passenger seat for my co-pilot she has no problem, at full height its perfect for her.

Stay Safe - Mike
Old 10-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #12

I purchased from big rig world.

Seats Seats Inc. Pinnacle (Black/Gray Leather) w/Armrest
SKU: 187300MW665

M2 adapter - Adapter - Frieghtliner M2 Seat
SKU: 178655PS

As I said, way more comfortable. The entire seat, including seating part tilts forward and backward, and then the back will recline way back too. I think I could sleep in these. And I should be able to get $250 for each of the seats I took out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	249146352_4564768376977502_816252355955590919_n.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	347382  
Old 10-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #13

Thanks so much they look great and being able to lower and recline they makes sense - thanks for sharing!

Miike
Old 10-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #14

Thanks looks like this may be the next mod.

Tags
seat