Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #1

Need advice on negotiating for a new Renegade

We are new to RVing and after tons of research have decided on a Renegade Valencia or Verona. I have searched and searched to get advice on a couple of things and am not having much luck. Any help is greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM if you don’t want to post.

I’ve heard you can negotiate 40% off MSRP but with Renegades you are lucky to get 22-23% off. Does this sound correct?

Second, when is typically the best time to negotiate the best price? When are dealers really trying to move this year’s models to make room for the following year’s stock?

Finally, & this may seem silly but again, I’m new to this...I’ve read comments about ppl not liking the mattresses & theater seating on the Renegades and ordering their own and installing them. Can you negotiate to have those items not included & taken off the price? Is that kind of thing done?

Thanks for any advice...I hate negotiating but nobody wants to spend tens of thousands of dollars unnecessarily.
Gr82thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #2

GR82

You are correct that Renegade dealers do not negotiate the same as others do, 22 -23% seems generous to me, back in 17 they were more in the 18% range.

Usually the best place to get deals is at a show because the factory offers dealer incentives at shows that are not otherwise available.

As far as changes I'm not sure what they will do as far as special orders on either a new Verona or Valencia, I know the XL changes can be made. I bought mine slightly used and made dealer change Theater seating to the factory couch, the previous owner had put a really nice mattress in it for me. But I was lucky to find one very close to what I wanted that had only been used for 11 months, and saved big $$$$$.

Tom C
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twc88 View Post
GR82

You are correct that Renegade dealers do not negotiate the same as others do, 22 -23% seems generous to me, back in 17 they were more in the 18% range.

Usually the best place to get deals is at a show because the factory offers dealer incentives at shows that are not otherwise available.

As far as changes I'm not sure what they will do as far as special orders on either a new Verona or Valencia, I know the XL changes can be made. I bought mine slightly used and made dealer change Theater seating to the factory couch, the previous owner had put a really nice mattress in it for me. But I was lucky to find one very close to what I wanted that had only been used for 11 months, and saved big $$$$$.

Tom C
How did you find that 11month old one, through a dealer or website? So, if there are 3 big RV shows in our state, it seems to me the time to get the best deal would be at the last show of the year. It would be great to find a slightly used one...it just seems difficult to find that. Thanks for the response!
Old 01-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #4

GR82

Found mine on https://www.rvtrader.com/ Took a year of looking. Story with mine was a gentlemen in his mid 80's bought it, and quickly decided it was to much for him. I later confirmed that story.

I would say the Hersey PA, or the Tampa FL show would give best results, they are the two biggest shows. Think North trail goes to Tampa show and Dylan's RV goes to Hershey. I would definitely check out to see what IWS can do, never dealt with them personally but hear many good things. Mine came from Transwest KC and was happy, they were also the original selling dealer as well, they got to sell one coach twice in just about a year.

Tom C
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twc88 View Post
GR82

Found mine on https://www.rvtrader.com/ Took a year of looking. Story with mine was a gentlemen in his mid 80's bought it, and quickly decided it was to much for him. I later confirmed that story.

I would say the Hersey PA, or the Tampa FL show would give best results, they are the two biggest shows. Think North trail goes to Tampa show and Dylan's RV goes to Hershey. I would definitely check out to see what IWS can do, never dealt with them personally but hear many good things. Mine came from Transwest KC and was happy, they were also the original selling dealer as well, they got to sell one coach twice in just about a year.

Tom C
Yeah, that was an ideal situation. I’ll keep checking on RV trader but if nothing decent comes up...new it will be. At least we aren’t under a time crunch. Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #6

I found Renegade discounting in December 2018 to be as described above from the 5-6 dealers that had units that met the spec we were looking for.
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Darby View Post
I found Renegade discounting in December 2018 to be as described above from the 5-6 dealers that had units that met the spec we were looking for.
Hi Doug, so around the 20% off MSRP range?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2020, 10:24 PM   #8

Best time to get a great deal on anything with tires is last day of month. I was a GM at a large big 3 auto store for many years. . Many times I would loose big dollars to get a deal, as I had huge manufacturer money coming, if I hit a certain number of units, that would far offset the few thousand I would loose on 4 or 5 rigs the last day. I had no problem loosing 15-20k, knowing I had a 70k incentive bonus coming the 15th of month. I have many friends in RV business, and same thing applies. Don’t be afraid to offer what you may think is stupid money on a rig, as the worst thing is they say no, but then they say they CAN sell it for..THEN you can offer a bit more than your original offer and meet in the middle...🕶
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningHard View Post
Best time to get a great deal on anything with tires is last day of month. I was a GM at a large big 3 auto store for many years. . Many times I would loose big dollars to get a deal, as I had huge manufacturer money coming, if I hit a certain number of units, that would far offset the few thousand I would loose on 4 or 5 rigs the last day. I had no problem loosing 15-20k, knowing I had a 70k incentive bonus coming the 15th of month. I have many friends in RV business, and same thing applies. Don’t be afraid to offer what you may think is stupid money on a rig, as the worst thing is they say no, but then they say they CAN sell it for..THEN you can offer a bit more than your original offer and meet in the middle...🕶
Great, thanks for this info! I don’t enjoy negotiating, but it makes it easier when you come to the table as informed as possible.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:27 AM   #10

North Trail in Ft. Myers usually has a number of Renegades in stock. I found the sales staff to be competent and we got a deal done after several offers and their counters. The service department on the other hand is abysmal. For that reason I would never deal with them again.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:37 AM   #11

We made our purchase in August 2018 and were able to get ~20% off MSRP. We were lucky in that the dealer was already deeply discounting the unit as it was on their lot for over 90 days so while we did negotiate there was not a lot of back and forth.

I watched several dealers for over 6 months before I found what we were looking for and at a price I considered fair. So my advice is to be patient and take your time.

Your comments on the mattress’s are not specific to Renegades. I doubt they will offer to do much to put in a better mattress so you will likely be on your own. Our Verona LE came with a memory foam mattress. We added a 3” memory foam topper and a nice mattress pad from eLuxury. Both were purchased from Amazon and the bed sleeps better than our bed at home.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade RV View Post
We made our purchase in August 2018 and were able to get ~20% off MSRP. We were lucky in that the dealer was already deeply discounting the unit as it was on their lot for over 90 days so while we did negotiate there was not a lot of back and forth.

I watched several dealers for over 6 months before I found what we were looking for and at a price I considered fair. So my advice is to be patient and take your time.

Your comments on the mattress’s are not specific to Renegades. I doubt they will offer to do much to put in a better mattress so you will likely be on your own. Our Verona LE came with a memory foam mattress. We added a 3” memory foam topper and a nice mattress pad from eLuxury. Both were purchased from Amazon and the bed sleeps better than our bed at home.
Great, thank you so much for the info. The older I get, the more particular I seem to be about mattresses. In my 20’s, all mattresses felt pretty much the same...definitely not the case anymore. My body can tell a huge difference now!
Old 01-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #13

The mattress and the couch were horrible. Brought the entire value of the coach down.
Verona has more power but still just barely enough
Sticker price was $285k paid $223k so 22% off.
Bought our 16’ in February of 17’ at Transwest RV
Joe II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check with DDRV. They advertise ~20% of MSRP on their website and you can request a better price. Not sure how much better it is though.
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice