Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #1

New Ikon on order

We are waiting for our new 2022 Ikon to be delivered about July1! Dealer is IWS from Mountain Home, ID. We are excited and can't wait to start using it. We come from 12 years of having 3 different Prevost bus conversions and wanted something a bit different and easier to maintain. I come from a trucking background and am looking forward to this coach. I think we made a good decision on this purchase from looking at price and build quality. The only downside is not being able to get into some of the class A only resorts we have enjoyed these past years. But, there are many alternatives available so we don't think it will be that big a deal.

Anyone else have an ikon here? Anything to share we should know about it?
I am sure I will be visiting here frequently. There seems to be a good amount of info to digest.
Mark3101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #2

Welcome! Please do post a review once you've had a chance to settle into the new rig. I'm curious how the Ikon will compare to your Prevosts.

We've seen a number of "class-A only" resorts that also allow Super C's. If it's not on a park's website and you want to stay there, give them a call. It would be ridiculous that a Forest River FR3 could get into such a resort but yours would be turned away.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
Welcome! Please do post a review once you've had a chance to settle into the new rig. I'm curious how the Ikon will compare to your Prevosts.

We've seen a number of "class-A only" resorts that also allow Super C's. If it's not on a park's website and you want to stay there, give them a call. It would be ridiculous that a Forest River FR3 could get into such a resort but yours would be turned away.
I know...it is silly that they stick up their noses at Super C's....many are very nice and lots better than cheaper class A.

I will post what our thoughts are on the Ikon. I am sure it will ride slightly rougher in front because of springs instead of air bags, but Freightliner has a good rep for a good ride, and with the long wheelbase, it should be fine. We are getting the DD16 Allison combo which I prefer to the DT12. I don't need to feel and hear it shift all day, and since I only tow my Jeep , there is no need for a big stacker that weighs tons and may benefit from the 12 speed. All 3 of our Prevost (1 XLII and 2 H3-45's) had Allisons and they were flawless and smooth.

I put about 165000 miles on the three Prevost while living in MN. They were all parked from October to end of April each year. I will enjoy living here in TN and being able to use the Ikon all year if we want. Not having to deal with all the salt and sand they dump out on the roads up north will be very pleasant.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:19 PM   #4

Congrats on the new coach!

IWS seems like a good dealer who appears to have good support after the sale. We intended to purchase from them but found a great, well cared for Renegade Ikon coach through a private sale. Would have liked to have the DD16 but our coach has the Cummins ISX15-600 with the Allison 4000. Rides nice and drives very nice.

Look forward to seeing pics.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #5

Ikon

I am between an ikon and a showhauler.. How much were you able to customize on the ikon? Why did you end up on the ikon?
Old 05-19-2021, 06:43 PM   #6

We wound up with the Ikon because we liked the layout (RX) and the way it looked and all the goodies that come standard. We have almost all the options coming including the solar panels, LI batteries, theater seating etc. There was almost nothing we could change on this one as it is "in production" with expected delivery of July 1. There was nothing we did not get except maybe the window awning over the dinette and theater seating windows on the driver's side. IWS came highly recommend by a friend of mine who has a Verona LE which he really likes.

I really like the looks of the Garmin multiplex system too. I think it will be really nice, and with the removable touch screens, should be very handy when you want to go outside to run something. We have both in motion and HD sat systems on it too. We had that on our last couple of Liberty coaches as well.

Our last two Liberty Coach Prevost coaches had multiplex for the house and chassis. Really cuts down on troubleshooting time and shows you on the screen when there is an issue with a circuit or device.

I will post some pics when I get them, and of course, let everyone know what we think of it when we get it.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnhse View Post
I am between an ikon and a showhauler.. How much were you able to customize on the ikon? Why did you end up on the ikon?
I guess we liked the Ikon a little better and it was available the quickest. IWS sells both but I really liked the Renegade interiors and overall looks the best. I am sure either would be a good choice, but the Ikon had what we wanted and was available much quicker than anything else we would have had to order.

There are limited options to order on the Ikon, but since most everything is standard, I did not feel it was an issue. I really don't think there was much else we even consider that we would need or want on the coach. Maybe you have different needs, but for us, the Ikon seems pretty much perfect.

Since IWS sells both, maybe a call to them would help you decide...?
Old 05-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #8

I wanted the Ikon but needed the bunks which are not available in the Ikon. Ended up with the XL that I added every option to. Other then the hydraulic slides it is very similar to the Ikon. I absolutely love it, I tow either my stacker trailer or a Jeep depending on the trip. I have had multiple Class A's and would take the XL over any of them. You will be very happy.
fotofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofx View Post
I wanted the Ikon but needed the bunks which are not available in the Ikon. Ended up with the XL that I added every option to. Other then the hydraulic slides it is very similar to the Ikon. I absolutely love it, I tow either my stacker trailer or a Jeep depending on the trip. I have had multiple Class A's and would take the XL over any of them. You will be very happy.
I know of a few Prevost owners who have gone to Renegade straight from their Prevost and all appear to be quite satisfied. I really like the new Cascadia cabs and dash layouts, and with the DD16 Allison combo, I am sure it will be very driver friendly. I am really getting excited to get the Ikon and start using it. We have a few trips partially planned out depending on the delivery date.

I will post a couple of pictures when we get some from the factory or dealer.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
I know of a few Prevost owners who have gone to Renegade straight from their Prevost and all appear to be quite satisfied. I really like the new Cascadia cabs and dash layouts, and with the DD16 Allison combo, I am sure it will be very driver friendly. I am really getting excited to get the Ikon and start using it. We have a few trips partially planned out depending on the delivery date.

I will post a couple of pictures when we get some from the factory or dealer.
Let me know if I should take this question onto a different thread - Noticed that your location is SE Tenn. We love east Tenn and have been looking at properties in East Tenn and realizing that trying to find places flat enough to have a building for a large rig definitely narrows down the choices quite drastically. We have considered giving up on the idea of finding a flat enough place for having our own storage building and instead just find a secure storage area. With your Prevosts what has your experience been? Do you have a place for the coach at your place or are there good secure storage areas?
Old 05-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemByTheMile View Post
Let me know if I should take this question onto a different thread - Noticed that your location is SE Tenn. We love east Tenn and have been looking at properties in East Tenn and realizing that trying to find places flat enough to have a building for a large rig definitely narrows down the choices quite drastically. We have considered giving up on the idea of finding a flat enough place for having our own storage building and instead just find a secure storage area. With your Prevosts what has your experience been? Do you have a place for the coach at your place or are there good secure storage areas?
We just moved here a few months ago from MN where we had lived for what seemed to be forever...(g). We had 15 acres there with a 30x60 bus barn and a 36x40 garage for the other toys and snow removal equipment etc. We had all three of our Prevost's at home until we moved and sold the last one.

We do not have room currently where we live to put up a garage so I arranged for a rental spot in a new storage place by Chattanooga that is heated and air-conditioned and has 24 hour access. If we are able to get more land here by our home, we may buy it and put up a little smaller sized garage for our new Renegade. I don't know where you are looking but Jeff Rowe at East TN Luxury Coachmay have parking in his lot which is secured, and I think he may have some indoor space available as well, but I am not sure about that. I don't know about the cost at either location.
He is located in Vonore, TN south of Knoxville.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3101 View Post
We just moved here a few months ago from MN where we had lived for what seemed to be forever...(g). We had 15 acres there with a 30x60 bus barn and a 36x40 garage for the other toys and snow removal equipment etc. We had all three of our Prevost's at home until we moved and sold the last one.

We do not have room currently where we live to put up a garage so I arranged for a rental spot in a new storage place by Chattanooga that is heated and air-conditioned and has 24 hour access. If we are able to get more land here by our home, we may buy it and put up a little smaller sized garage for our new Renegade. I don't know where you are looking but Jeff Rowe at East TN Luxury Coachmay have parking in his lot which is secured, and I think he may have some indoor space available as well, but I am not sure about that. I don't know about the cost at either location.
He is located in Vonore, TN south of Knoxville.
Thank you! We will look into those options.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new coach once it arrives!
Old 05-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #13

DT12

I think you will really like the high multi speed auto shift transmission. I've got the Cummins 15 liter with the 13 speed Eaton Auto Shift. Sure it takes a while to spool up to speed and shift through all those gears, but how may times do you really stop and start compared to all the time rolling down the highway. If you do any traveling in the mountain west, the 12 or 13 speed ensures you are always in the middle of your power band with no lugging the engine going up hill and all the versatility of maximizing your engine brake going down hill. Its a bullet proof transmission made for towing big loads. Should outlive all of us in an RV application. Good luck.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFed 90-10 View Post
I think you will really like the high multi speed auto shift transmission. I've got the Cummins 15 liter with the 13 speed Eaton Auto Shift. Sure it takes a while to spool up to speed and shift through all those gears, but how may times do you really stop and start compared to all the time rolling down the highway. If you do any traveling in the mountain west, the 12 or 13 speed ensures you are always in the middle of your power band with no lugging the engine going up hill and all the versatility of maximizing your engine brake going down hill. Its a bullet proof transmission made for towing big loads. Should outlive all of us in an RV application. Good luck.
We are not getting the DT12. we are getting the Allison 4000TRV. I specifically did not want the DT12 as I don't need to feel or hear it shifting all the time. I have had 3 Allison 4000 series in our previous Prevost coaches and I really like them. They have been bulletproof for me. The most we tow is a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited so that is basically nothing to the DD16.