Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 06:59 AM   #1

New Valencia 38RW performance

We are ordering a new Valencia 38RW coming out of a Dynamax Isata 3. Very impressed with the Renegade fit and finish versus the Dynamax and was wondering what everyone’s experience has been related to:

Fuel Economy - Towing a Jeep JK
Performance pulling hills and passes
Ride on Rough roads
Overall satisfaction with the coach and after sale support.

Dynamax has been great for us and we did look at the Force and DX line but really like the overall fit and finish of the Renegades. Checked all of our boxes.

Thanks In Advance!
Klcamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #2

We have a 38RW. Love this floorplan. Here's my responses:
Fuel economy: average 7.8 towing. We tow a Lincoln MKX which is definitely heavier than a JK, I tend to drive middle-of-the pack in terms of speeds for RV drivers, and we're in Colorado so we do a lot of mountain pass traversal. This figure also includes moderate generator use but the gen is relatively efficient. I wouldn't imagine you could expect much better than 8.5 unless you only drive 55mph on flat land.

Performance in passes: Satisfied. It holds its own. Do I wish I had double the horsepower and torque? Sure. Not willing to pay for that though. We pull Eisenhower Pass (eastbound, which is the steep side) several times a year with full water tanks and towing and can maintain 40mph which is better than most trucks. Many 5ers blow past us though.

Ride on rough roads: Well, we live in Colorado so we have lots of experience with rough poorly-maintained roads lol. Also plenty of experience driving 2-lane back roads that were never built to interstate standards. How does it feel? Honestly, rough. This is a truck chassis with leaf spring suspension. The rear airbags are adequate. On the other hand, if we leave a cup of water on the counter, it tends to stay there for our whole drive. So the ride can't be THAT bad.

Overall satisfaction: We love it. It's very capable, meets all of our needs, provides a super comfortable oasis in the deep woods or a Walmart parking lot. It carries all the stuff we want including enough water for a family of 4 to boondock for 5 days and still wash dishes and take navy showers every day. I use the high counter in the bedroom as a standing desk to work from the road, trying to minimize my consumption of paid time off. The split bathroom design is genius (I know Renegade didn't invent it but still) for a family to use. We haven't needed to use any after-sale support.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:22 AM   #3

Really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like we made a great descision!
Old 09-18-2021, 01:28 PM   #4

I agree with every thing Rumline said except I pull a 2017 Wrangler 2 door and average 8.4 MPG on flat land and mountains. A little slow on steep roads, but so what, I am in no hurry, I to pass most loaded 18 wheelers. I drive 63/65 MPH mostly, tires are speed rated 75 MPH. ( Bridgestone tires)

I forgot to say I have a 2020 38RW.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #5

Sounds great. That’s my style as well. No hurry! Appreciate the input
Old 09-19-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

I can agree with the others as far as performance with the Valencia. I tow a 2dr JK with mine through the Smokies west of Asheville to visit the family. I’m not winning any races and keep the cruise at 63 and manage between 8-9mpg consistently up and down the east coast. Engine braking is sufficient with the VGT but on the steeper grades you always want a little more. With proper braking management it’s more than sufficient.

As far as support from Renegade, Woody is the man! My local dealer sold out to Camping World shortly after our purchase which let’s say they are less than pleasant to deal with. Most everything that has gone wrong I have repaired myself with the help of the folks on this site or calling Woody, but even at that there have only been a few minor items over the past year.
Happi Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #7

I used to own a Dynamax Force HD and now a Renegade Verona so I can give you at least my experience. If you look beyond the obvious and dig a little deeper, there is no comparison between the two.

Look at the plumbing and more importantly how the wiring is finished. Renegade wins hands down.

Within the first month of my Force ownership I had major caulk seems shifting and caulk separation. That bothered me. My Renegade has never needed caulk since I bought it.

Dmax drilled holes through firewall to run wires with no grommets or sealer. Just a wire through a hole against sharp metal.. Thats lazy

Dmax GM spends his day on the forums while Renegades GM is busy working making the product better. Just my $.02...

You made a good choice. Congrats to you.
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #8

Yes sir, Woody is the man for expert help at Renegade, great guy!
Old 09-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Renegade View Post
I used to own a Dynamax Force HD and now a Renegade Verona so I can give you at least my experience. If you look beyond the obvious and dig a little deeper, there is no comparison between the two.

Look at the plumbing and more importantly how the wiring is finished. Renegade wins hands down.

Dmax drilled holes through firewall to run wires with no grommets or sealer. Just a wire through a hole against sharp metal.. Thats lazy

Dmax GM spends his day on the forums while Renegades GM is busy working making the product better. Just my $.02...

You made a good choice. Congrats to you.
That's not lazy? It's more like sloppy by inexperienced workers and no QC! Wiring was atrocious on my Isata.

The Dynamax GM is a young man that got promoted from another division within Forest River that built low-cost cookie cutter, non-Freightliner M2 RVs and is applying the same manufacturing practices that he was familiar with. He claims that Renegade and others are copycats when in essence he is copying the ideas of other manufacturers.
MagnaTudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:15 PM   #10

Maybe he should be demoted, seems he is in over his head on quality manufacturing and safety on wiring.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:17 PM   #11

We are finally considering a super C. The renegade Valencia is at the top for me so far. One question is what ac units does Renegade use on Valencia and are they quiet or not so much? Any noticeable vibration? Looking forward to the Tampa Super show in January.
Thanks

Tim
Tcrossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrossan View Post
We are finally considering a super C. The renegade Valencia is at the top for me so far. One question is what ac units does Renegade use on Valencia and are they quiet or not so much? Any noticeable vibration? Looking forward to the Tampa Super show in January.
Thanks

Tim
I believe they are the Coleman Mach 8 15K btu. The noise and vibration doesn’t bother me much, but that subjective based on each of our tolerance levels. I had the same unit in my Winnie and it seemed a little more harsh in that environment. All in all I have been happy with their performance. When your in the living room and the bedroom unit kicks on it is barely noticeable when watching TV. That’s my $.02.
Happi Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:12 AM   #13

Thanks for your $.02 worth! Worth a lot more since you have the experience with the AC.
The noise level may be a deal breaker if too severe. My wife is very sensitive to their noise and usually wears ear plugs to sleep.
Mini split AC systems are just now starting to be used in some of the New Horizon 5rh wheels. They are almost silent. Wonder when they will be commonplace.
Tcrossan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:39 PM   #14

I have a Valencia and pull a 4 door Jeep (JLU). I get around 7-8 mpg depending on speed, highway, hills, etc.

As for pulling up big passes, it's slow compared to my diesel F250 with 34' travel trailer. You learn to be patient and hang out in the right lane with the 18 wheelers. But all of these Super C's are heavy and not rocket ships. So you're comparing slow with "less slow."
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote