Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #1

Power and response

This question is going to look for subjective responses to how well the Valencia does on the road. Built on the S2RV chassis with the Cummins ISB, now called B6.7 I think, as opposed to a similar sized Verona on an M2 with ISL, L9. I'm strongly considering and going to look this weekend at a Valencia 35MB but of course any test drive will be artificial, empty, not towing, no mountains, etc.

My experiences with RVs include a DP with 400hp ISL, towing 5th wheels up to 17K with 350/3500 diesel, and now the Omni with Ford F550 diesel towing 5.5K. I live in the flatland, do visit the mountains in the was and west but not the predominate driving. I'm towing 5.5K and have no intention of thing a 20K double stake or such. The RVs under consideration for us are all in the 33-34K GVWR with a reported 7-8k CCC. We won't load anywhere close to that amount, maybe 1.5K stuff plus fluids.

Have any Valencia owners regretted their decision to get that coach with that chassis instead of spending more for the Verona or bigger?

It's an RV, box on truck chassis. so I know it won't be first to the top. Not important but it will make it. I don't travel at 85mph, 65 normal cruise unless speed limits lower. I enjoy my travels and even though I do some long days, I don't squeeze every mile out of every travel day. We travel not park on trips.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post

This question is going to look for subjective responses to how well the Valencia does on the road. Built on the S2RV chassis with the Cummins ISB, now called B6.7 I think, as opposed to a similar sized Verona on an M2 with ISL, L9. I'm strongly considering and going to look this weekend at a Valencia 35MB but of course any test drive will be artificial, empty, not towing, no mountains, etc.

My experiences with RVs include a DP with 400hp ISL, towing 5th wheels up to 17K with 350/3500 diesel, and now the Omni with Ford F550 diesel towing 5.5K. I live in the flatland, do visit the mountains in the was and west but not the predominate driving. I'm towing 5.5K and have no intention of thing a 20K double stake or such. The RVs under consideration for us are all in the 33-34K GVWR with a reported 7-8k CCC. We won't load anywhere close to that amount, maybe 1.5K stuff plus fluids.

Have any Valencia owners regretted their decision to get that coach with that chassis instead of spending more for the Verona or bigger?

It's an RV, box on truck chassis. so I know it won't be first to the top. Not important but it will make it. I don't travel at 85mph, 65 normal cruise unless speed limits lower. I enjoy my travels and even though I do some long days, I don't squeeze every mile out of every travel day. We travel not park on trips.
You have pretty much summarized our situation / usage perfectly. You also hit the nail on the head in re the test drive being artificial and not terribly useful. Checking into this one to hear what long term owners have to say.

We are coming out of a Sprinter based Class C and want more CCC and space without being too big. No need to win any races and no need to tow anything heavier than a toad. The Verona is amazing and seems to outclass the Valencia in just about every measurable category. That said, it is also coming in at about $50k-$80k more depending on options and discounts. We walked the Valencia 35MB several times and I drove it twice. It definitely will not win any races. For perspective, it felt stronger and more capable than our Sprinter diesel (though obviously not as nimble), but fell well behind the Ram 2500 6.7 we used to tow our 8,000lb fifth wheel before the Sprinter.

Ultimately, and in my estimation, the Valencia felt entirely adequate. Sure we would like more power and the upgraded M2 chassis, but we decided weíd like the extra $50k-$80k and all the toys/fun we could have with it more. For us it came down to want vs. need, and we donít need the 8.9L or M2 chassis. Our order is still a good ways out and I continue to play with the idea of a Verona 36VSB or Force 34KD for the extra power / capacity. So far the temptation hasnít been enough to make us want to spend the extra money for the upgrade.

Looking forward to hearing ownersí reviews. Thanks for all the insightful posts youíve made lately. Nothing beats being thorough and doing all your research.
hippopapamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #3

I have a 2021 Valencia 38RW and think it is just fine with the 6.7 engine. i pull a 2 door Wrangler without any problems in the mountains, sure it is a little slow going up but so what, I did not want a race car, just a motorhome. I like everything about my coach.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
I have a 2021 Valencia 38RW and think it is just fine with the 6.7 engine. i pull a 2 door Wrangler without any problems in the mountains, sure it is a little slow going up but so what, I did not want a race car, just a motorhome. I like everything about my coach.
Thanks for the comments. I'm looking at a 35MB this weekend and as I stated an empty flatland test drive is not representative of future driving, but of course very necessary.

Do any Valencia owners have any suggestions on things to note during my test drive? My driving and RV experiences range from 1/2t van or older Blazer towing a TT, newer 1t and 5th wheel, 40'DP (ISL), gas A and now the Omni on a F550 chassis, and stuff in between. A 33,000 GVWR and empty weight probably around 24,000 so it shouldn't be straining. I'll look for handling squirreliness that may indicate a need for alignment.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #5

Engine braking going down a long steep grade while towing.
MagnaTudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I'm looking at a 35MB this weekend and as I stated an empty flatland test drive is not representative of future driving, but of course very necessary.

Do any Valencia owners have any suggestions on things to note during my test drive? My driving and RV experiences range from 1/2t van or older Blazer towing a TT, newer 1t and 5th wheel, 40'DP (ISL), gas A and now the Omni on a F550 chassis, and stuff in between. A 33,000 GVWR and empty weight probably around 24,000 so it shouldn't be straining. I'll look for handling squirreliness that may indicate a need for alignment.
I also have a 38RW and tow a 2DR Wrangler. I live in New England and have family in the foothills of NC. We just traveled to FL with a stop in NC along the way. If your familiar with the roads west of Asheville such as 74, 23 and 64 and traveling through the Nantahala National Forest, your pulling 7-8% grades and not winning any races. I pulled about 35mph at the top. Iím 32,000 with the Wrangler in tow according to the Cat Scale. Engine braking through the VGT is okay, along with a little common sense. I do have a supplemental braking system in the Jeep but it never activated and I didnít feel as though I needed it.

The Valencia was an upgrade from our Sprinter based Winnie and I find it handles far superior to that chassis. We also looked at the 35MB but the DW was not a fan of the floor plan. I was not planning on going as big as the 38í but whatís 3 feet. All in all I donít regret the purchase and have been happy with the Renegade quality and performance of the little 6.7. I guess if money were no object Iíd be running an Ikon down the road.
Happi Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happi Campah View Post
I also have a 38RW and tow a 2DR Wrangler. I live in New England and have family in the foothills of NC. We just traveled to FL with a stop in NC along the way. If your familiar with the roads west of Asheville such as 74, 23 and 64 and traveling through the Nantahala National Forest, your pulling 7-8% grades and not winning any races. I pulled about 35mph at the top. Iím 32,000 with the Wrangler in tow according to the Cat Scale. Engine braking through the VGT is okay, along with a little common sense. I do have a supplemental braking system in the Jeep but it never activated and I didnít feel as though I needed it.

The Valencia was an upgrade from our Sprinter based Winnie and I find it handles far superior to that chassis. We also looked at the 35MB but the DW was not a fan of the floor plan. I was not planning on going as big as the 38í but whatís 3 feet. All in all I donít regret the purchase and have been happy with the Renegade quality and performance of the little 6.7. I guess if money were no object Iíd be running an Ikon down the road.
Yes familiar with some of the roads including I77 going fro VA to WV which will slow you down. I did pull that recently with my current Omni at close to speed limits. I want to keep the length down and at least on paper the 35MB looks like a fit. Will see this weekend.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #8

I can compare the 2 as I drove the Thor Magnitude w/ F600 (same as F550) from CA to upstate NY and back. I sold that unit as everything broke but the engine.

The Ford F550/F600 powertrain is very good. The 10sp is a well designed transmission and just works on its own without any input from driver. With the Ford, I just drove it and it tackled all the mountain passes very well and I don't really think I ever had to drop below 50mph. I also was not towing anything on this trip.

The Valencia you will most likely need to plan ahead and do your own shifting on the larger mountain grades to keep the engine in the power band as the Allison transmission is not great in picking and holding the optimal gear. The Valencia is slower for sure at least 10mph or more. It will make it to the top, you just need to hang out with the big trucks.

Keep in mind your GVWR on the F550 is 19.5k lbs. The Valencia starting weight will be over 25k lbs with a GVWR of 33k lbs. So, you are basically the same motor output and starting more than 6k lbs heavier and then add a toad. It is slower than the Ford. But, I will take all the extra weight in build quality, chassis stability, and overall comfort every day of the year even if it takes a few more minutes to climb the biggest grades.

Eric
ebenson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebenson24 View Post
I can compare the 2 as I drove the Thor Magnitude w/ F600 (same as F550) from CA to upstate NY and back. I sold that unit as everything broke but the engine.

The Ford F550/F600 powertrain is very good. The 10sp is a well designed transmission and just works on its own without any input from driver. With the Ford, I just drove it and it tackled all the mountain passes very well and I don't really think I ever had to drop below 50mph. I also was not towing anything on this trip.

The Valencia you will most likely need to plan ahead and do your own shifting on the larger mountain grades to keep the engine in the power band as the Allison transmission is not great in picking and holding the optimal gear. The Valencia is slower for sure at least 10mph or more. It will make it to the top, you just need to hang out with the big trucks.

Keep in mind your GVWR on the F550 is 19.5k lbs. The Valencia starting weight will be over 25k lbs with a GVWR of 33k lbs. So, you are basically the same motor output and starting more than 6k lbs heavier and then add a toad. It is slower than the Ford. But, I will take all the extra weight in build quality, chassis stability, and overall comfort every day of the year even if it takes a few more minutes to climb the biggest grades.

Eric
That is a good assessment and what I am expecting. Too bad thor can't build a decent quality house to put on a decent chassis. As you say that extra 10K# is going to go slower. My Itasca Horizon was 34K and I ran that. It did have an ISL 400hp but you still had to plan hills and descents. And the living was easy, great house and great chassis. If I could have found a Verona 34 then that extra power might be like the Ford but the Valencia should serve us well.

Today I just heard about a recall of the Omni and Magnitutes for a propane line run THROUGH the rear springs. Checked mine today and it's partially cut from the spring. Thor is not only incompetent but criminally negligent.

I am going to be so disappointed if the Valencia isn't a fit for us or we and the dealer can't come to terms. But I will keep my head on straight.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:09 AM   #10

Quote:
That is a good assessment and what I am expecting. Too bad thor can't build a decent quality house to put on a decent chassis. As you say that extra 10K# is going to go slower. My Itasca Horizon was 34K and I ran that. It did have an ISL 400hp but you still had to plan hills and descents. And the living was easy, great house and great chassis. If I could have found a Verona 34 then that extra power might be like the Ford but the Valencia should serve us well.

Today I just heard about a recall of the Omni and Magnitutes for a propane line run THROUGH the rear springs. Checked mine today and it's partially cut from the spring. Thor is not only incompetent but criminally negligent.

I am going to be so disappointed if the Valencia isn't a fit for us or we and the dealer can't come to terms. But I will keep my head on straight.
I think you will really like it. One trip in ours and everything is just better (the drive, the slides work, very solid construction, everything is very well thought out). This has not been a lucky year in RV for me, but our Renegade broke down on our way back from Death Valley on our first trip. They were able to pinpoint the issue to a wire harness was rubbing on a bracket. Even with that issue and a few other small issues I need to work out, I am 100000x happier in the Valencia. Do I wish it was faster, sure, but it is just a far superior coach and I am looking forward to many trips.
ebenson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #11

I canít offer too much related our 35MB as we only have had it for a few weeks, but based on our previous experience with our 33D, my goal was to keep the real world weight as light as reasonably possible. That unit had a GVWR of 26,000lbs (GCWR 30,000); loaded it was 24,400 on the scales. It had the 300/660 version of the 6.7 and performed pretty well towing a Jeep XJ (3800lbs) or 4 seat RZR on a tandem axle utility trailer. The key was anticipating grades, selecting the right gear, and planning ahead to maintain max engine performance.

The goal with our Renegade will be to keep the rig under the same ratios of scaled weight/GVWR. I will be weighing the loaded Renegade later this month, and I anticipate being significantly under 31,000lbs. Our ďyellowĒ tag states our CCC is 8809lbs, making our unladen weight around 22,000. With a full load of water (1250 lbs), packing what we carried in our Class A, we should be in the neighborhood of 25,000 +/- on the scale. If thatís the case, I think weíll see better performance in the hills, but time will tell.

Tags
power