Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2021, 07:17 AM   #15

Never though of that

Yes my truck is a four by two so that explains the lack of towing instructions in the manual. I never thought of that.

But, unless Ford is doing things much different than in the past the transfer case (at least in past models) does not disconnect the driveshaft from the rear axle. If anybody has some info on this it would be appreciated.

As an example of how this effects mileage and load, my last F250 SD was a 4 X 4. (electronic shift) As most know, when the vehicle is operated in 2 wheel drive the front axle and drive shaft continues to spin. I know this is still true. Just watch one of those jacked up mud trucks as they past by and you can watch the entire front end spinning away. As I very seldom, virtually never, used the 4 X 4 I disabled the system by removing the inner gears of the hub lockouts. This immediately gave me an additional two miles per gallon. That with a 7.3 diesel. The performance of the truck was noticeably better. At the time, I even wrapped rubber bands around the drive shaft to verify the shaft was not rotating. I drove that truck 366k miles so the improvement was significant. (and I sold it for two grand over book)

Also, way back when? We installed a device in our tow car that allowed for a quick disconnect of the driveshaft when towing. Similar to an in and out box of a race car if anybody would know what that is. Unfortunately, we still burned up the differential doing so.

So I guess my next question is? Does anybody offer a positive disconnect device similar to what I explained above with my F250? (Hub locks for rear) As I said, I'm new to this and have no idea what's out there these days. I have been told Jeeps are often used as they tow well. But I have no desire to buy one just for that. I really need to stick with one everyday car and I can't see myself with a Jeep.

Hope I'm not bugging you guys and as always, thanks for the help.
retiredinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2021, 07:27 AM   #16
YC1

Ford designed certain vehicle to be towed. They figured out the lube issues etc. Older Bronco II's could be towed with a drive shaft disconnect as you mentioned.

As for mileage. Buying a 35K lb rv and 5K lb pickup and expecting to see great mileages is just a pipe dream.

Hobbies cost money. I see less than 1mpg difference towing overall. I suspect that is mostly wind resistance.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Ford designed certain vehicle to be towed. They figured out the lube issues etc. Older Bronco II's could be towed with a drive shaft disconnect as you mentioned.

As for mileage. Buying a 35K lb rv and 5K lb pickup and expecting to see great mileages is just a pipe dream.

Hobbies cost money. I see less than 1mpg difference towing overall. I suspect that is mostly wind resistance.
I certainly agree with you but I'm not thinking Provost here. And there is no such thing as a 5k truck that can pull a 35k anything. It wasn't so much the mileage I'm worrying about its the wear and tear on the vehicles. Both of them. I just don't enjoy sitting on the side of the road at the mercy of tow trucks and mechanics. Been there done that. And I was hoping that over the years some new idea's came along to address the issues. But apparently not. I know very well the cost of hobbies as I've owned numerous aircraft and boats. I'm now going for the trifecta. But I was never cavalier about it. It's always a lot easier to spend money than to earn it.

It's looking more and more like I'll stick to a rather small travel trailer and give up on the luxury side of rv'ing.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #18
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinga View Post
I certainly agree with you but I'm not thinking Provost here. And there is no such thing as a 5k truck that can pull a 35k anything. It wasn't so much the mileage I'm worrying about its the wear and tear on the vehicles. Both of them. I just don't enjoy sitting on the side of the road at the mercy of tow trucks and mechanics. Been there done that. And I was hoping that over the years some new idea's came along to address the issues. But apparently not. I know very well the cost of hobbies as I've owned numerous aircraft and boats. I'm now going for the trifecta. But I was never cavalier about it. It's always a lot easier to spend money than to earn it.

It's looking more and more like I'll stick to a rather small travel trailer and give up on the luxury side of rv'ing.
I either mis wrote or you mis read my post. My 35K rv pulls my 5K truck.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:30 AM   #19

Since you have already altered the truck by removing the gears in the hub, I'm not sure what has to be done so you can flat tow it. Here is what I know for sure; I have a 2016 F150 4x4 with electronic transfer case. I pull it behind my Thor POS Miramar gas A Class motorhome. All vehicles and all year models differ. Your owners manual will tell you IF you can flat tow your vehicle, and if YES, it will spell out in great detail the steps and measures how to prepare it for flat tow.

Also, there is a "Dinghy Guide" for every year going back I don't know how many years....long time. Just google "insert your model YEAR" i.e. 2016 Dinghy Guide and that year dinghy guide will show up. Scroll down the guide until you find YOUR year model, and it will tell you (in less detail than owners manual) the steps to take. I hope this helps. I really don't know what to say or do regarding the hub gear removal.
Seabee Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #20

2021 F150 4x4 Road Master face plate update.
All,
I spoke with Glenda at Road Master R&D this week. According to Glenda the new 2021 F150 face plate should be complete around the 22nd of March. Then it would go into full scale production.
More to come!
trailerbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:46 AM   #21

Not meaning to be nit picky here, but when you say "face plate", do you mean "base plate"? Or, am I missing something. Again.

Chief
Old 01-18-2021, 08:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee Chief View Post
Not meaning to be nit picky here, but when you say "face plate", do you mean "base plate"? Or, am I missing something. Again.

Chief
Yes. Fat fingers. It is base plate.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerbal View Post
Yes. Fat fingers. It is base plate.
Totally understand. There is a lot of that going around. Hope you get the rig you need to pull your truck. Again, I highly recommend you get a good authorized dealer for your needs. I am happy with my Blue Ox tow bar and Patriot breaking system. Our gas rig pulls our F150 just fine, although she labors a little in the Colorado mountains. Be safe and enjoy the scenery.

Chief
Old 01-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee Chief View Post
Since you have already altered the truck by removing the gears in the hub, I'm not sure what has to be done so you can flat tow it. Here is what I know for sure; I have a 2016 F150 4x4 with electronic transfer case. I pull it behind my Thor POS Miramar gas A Class motorhome. All vehicles and all year models differ. Your owners manual will tell you IF you can flat tow your vehicle, and if YES, it will spell out in great detail the steps and measures how to prepare it for flat tow.

Also, there is a "Dinghy Guide" for every year going back I don't know how many years....long time. Just google "insert your model YEAR" i.e. 2016 Dinghy Guide and that year dinghy guide will show up. Scroll down the guide until you find YOUR year model, and it will tell you (in less detail than owners manual) the steps to take. I hope this helps. I really don't know what to say or do regarding the hub gear removal.
I was referring to a previous F250 I once owned. Not my current F150. My intentions was to describe the fact that much of the driveline is still connected and rotating. Which causes a lot of drag, wear and tear on the differential gears. Disabling the hubs demonstrated just how much. Two MPG on a truck that normally got no better than 10 is very significant. Back then diesel was well over $4 bucks per gallon! One of the reasons I would never have another one.

After watching Ford's video on the subject, I guess buying a 4X4 has more benefits than just mudding. But, again, I've pretty much given up on the Class A thing.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerbal View Post
2021 F150 4x4 Road Master face plate update.
All,
I spoke with Glenda at Road Master R&D this week. According to Glenda the new 2021 F150 face plate should be complete around the 22nd of March. Then it would go into full scale production.
More to come!
Update:

In follow up to my previous post, a part number is now available through Roadmaster. . Base plate for 2021 F150 is as follows:
Item number 524467-5
Description EZ Bracket 022421
Price: $435.00
I ordered this March 8, 20121 Delivery is still 5 to 6 weeks out.
Note: The item number might vary depending on which tow bar you have. I have the BlackHawk All Terrain Non-Binding 8,000 LB Tow Bar.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #26
GPG

Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCCDF8DD-0806-40E0-BBA3-1F88FAA89159.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	592.8 KB
ID:	330505

I tow a 2021 Ford F-150 4x4 Raptor. No issues.
GPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towed