RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #1

Purchasing 2021 F150 4x4 as towed. Is this a bad idea?

We are new to the Renegade family. Our new coach (2021 Verona 40VRB) is scheduled to deliver in next couple of weeks. With changes in F150 from 2020 to 2021, does anyone have knowledge of how this might change the tow set up? Primarily tow bar set up, as it clearly defines in the owners manual that it can be towed 4 down and provides process to do so.
I had heard tow bar manufactures are not yet familiar with the 2021 to confirm if there are toe bar changes required (ie face plate should there be frame changes.
Any input is welcome.
Thanks, in advance!
trailerbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 03:01 AM   #2

If the tow bar mount changes in 2021, it wonít be long before the parts are available.
Paul R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:20 AM   #3

I don't know about the 2021, but we purchased a Roadmaster tow bar and baseplate for our 2019. Covid hit, plans changed, and I still have them, new in the boxes . . . will be selling soon if interested. On the 2019 the baseplate goes where the front tow hooks are located. You lose the hooks, but gain a baseplate!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #4

Thank you for the response. I reached out to both Blue Ox and Road Master yesterday.
Road master seemed to know little of the change, but did offer to send face plate for 2020 with free return shipping if it did not work.
Blue Ox acknowledged that the 2021 F150 would required a new face plate and suggested they would have one developed within a couple of months.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:28 AM   #5

Might want to do an internet search on "tow bar failures" before you decide on a brand. One specific brand leads the pack in number of reported failures.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Might want to do an internet search on "tow bar failures" before you decide on a brand. One specific brand leads the pack in number of reported failures.
Thank you. Good advice for sure. Looks like much of the bad press appears before 2017, but I am sure there are exceptions.
Back in the day, early 2000s, before there were so many choices, I bought an 8,000 LB ROADMASTER BlackHawk All Terrain non binding tow bar. With this I have pulled both a 1999 Lincoln Navigator and a 2007 Chevy Tahoe. Both are very heavy vehicles. This tow bar is still in great shape today. I am being told that I may now need a 10,000 LB toolbar for F150 (Curb weight 5600-6000 LB). Not sure I agree that. GVWR is 7,050 Lbs. and have no plans of ever loading it that heavy. Feed back is welcome.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerbal View Post
Thank you. Good advice for sure. Looks like much of the bad press appears before 2017, but I am sure there are exceptions.
Back in the day, early 2000s, before there were so many choices, I bought an 8,000 LB ROADMASTER BlackHawk All Terrain non binding tow bar. With this I have pulled both a 1999 Lincoln Navigator and a 2007 Chevy Tahoe. Both are very heavy vehicles. This tow bar is still in great shape today. I am being told that I may now need a 10,000 LB toolbar for F150 (Curb weight 5600-6000 LB). Not sure I agree that. GVWR is 7,050 Lbs. and have no plans of ever loading it that heavy. Feed back is welcome.

We purchased the Roadmaster Nighthawk All Terrain for our 2019 F-150. It is 8,000lb rated, which I feel is more than sufficient for us. We don't expect to be over 6,500 lbs ever. It's still new in the box due to Covid-19
Old 01-01-2021, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
We purchased the Roadmaster Nighthawk All Terrain for our 2019 F-150. It is 8,000lb rated, which I feel is more than sufficient for us. We don't expect to be over 6,500 lbs ever. It's still new in the box due to Covid-19
Thank you! Two rights make a right!
Old 01-09-2021, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerbal View Post
I pull a 2016 F150 behind a 2015 Thor Miramar GAS motorhome. I think your tow bar is more than sufficient. I'm not sure what the base plate problem is. I know I wanted to put a deer catcher on the front of my truck, but I was told Box Ox warranty would be voided if I did. It was something to do with the length of the base plate bolts, which had to hold both the base plate and the clip for the deer catcher bracket. I think it's BS...but they have the hammer.
Seabee Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:18 AM   #10

I'd just make sure they show you exactly how to put it into neutral tow mode and verify it works. I was ready to buy an F150 and it would not shift into neutral even though an identical F150 right next to it would. It was probably just a programming issue, but I ended up buying a Ram 1500 instead which has been awesome to tow.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lslblues View Post
I'd just make sure they show you exactly how to put it into neutral tow mode and verify it works. I was ready to buy an F150 and it would not shift into neutral even though an identical F150 right next to it would. It was probably just a programming issue, but I ended up buying a Ram 1500 instead which has been awesome to tow.
Yes thank you. I did confirm before purchase, and even made them demonstrate the steps. The steps are different for 2021 than previous years models.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #12

Interesting

I too have a 16 F150. I assure you I don't mean to be asking dumb questions or offering dumber statements but I can't,(knowing what I know about these trucks) imagine towing them any distance. (I'm new here and likely ignorant) And my manual makes no mention of it at all other than don't do it any distance. Is there some option out there that has slipped by me? Spinning that driveshaft for all those miles just seems to be a destructive procedure not to mention the drag and lousy fuel mileage it would create.

I have also in the past played around with the computers of these trucks using a software called Forscan which allows you to make certain changes. One of the things known is that there are several different mileage counters in these trucks. Your allowed to modify the cluster upwards only, as if you were installing a replacement. But never the opposite way and never more than any of the other counters. And, the dealers can, using their equipment check to verify all of these mileage counters match. (fairly close) So, I guess I wondering if towing is permissible, (which would be great for me) what those procedures are and if Ford or any other manufacturer actually approves and somehow account for the mileage errors? This could be an issue at trade in.

If you could add a little more info on this subject it would be appreciated very much. Like I said, I'm new to this and have given up on the MH idea mainly due to what I thought was the inability to tow my only vehicle which, like I said is a F150. Up to now I thought trailering was the only solution but I've found that does create issues in parks and camp grounds.
retiredinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinga View Post
I'm new to this and have given up on the MH idea mainly due to what I thought was the inability to tow my only vehicle which, like I said is a F150. Up to now I thought trailering was the only solution but I've found that does create issues in parks and camp grounds.
Is your F150 a 4x4? Only that version can be flat-towed (with all four wheels on the ground) due to the presence of a transfer case that can disconnect the driveshaft.

Flat towing a vehicle behind a motorhome still has issues. Notably, you cannot back up while doing so, which can become problematic at the worst time. I recommend you check out the Toads and Motorhome Towing forum for more background information on this topic.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:09 PM   #14
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I don't know about the 2021, but we purchased a Roadmaster tow bar and baseplate for our 2019. Covid hit, plans changed, and I still have them, new in the boxes . . . will be selling soon if interested. On the 2019 the baseplate goes where the front tow hooks are located. You lose the hooks, but gain a baseplate!
You lose the hooks but you can add some heavy duty hook around the mounting bolts. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reese-Towpo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Something like this. I did not look at the specs of these. They are just a quick picture I grabbed.

We have a 2016 Limited Edition 4x4 and it tows fine for endless miles. As mentioned, the transfer case disconnects things properly. If you have 2wd it may only be towable for getting to a service place etc.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towed