Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #1

Regular Maintenance

It gripes me that after spending a quarter mil on my Valencia 38RB that regular maintenance and parts needed is not easy to determine. I have several Cummins manuals and an Allison manual and after spending about 30 minutes going through them I still don't know what I need. Cummins website chat guy could only give me one part number for the oil filter I need and said the fuel filter and air filter are OEM...aren't they the manufacturer?! From searching on the internet I have squeezed out a couple of more part numbers. As far as interval to change the oil in my Cummins 6.7L 360RV HP engine I think it is 5,000 miles for the first one, then every 15,000 after that. On the Allison 3000 auto transmission I think it is 25,000/12 mo if using non-TES 295 ATF or 300,000/48 mo if using TES 295 ATF...how do you find out what it came with? Sorry for the rant, but Renegade did such a good job of providing part numbers and serial numbers on most of the equipment in the coach seems like the engine and transmission are pretty important to be maintained properly. The generic manuals aren't much help. Any help out there would be appreciated.
GWL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
There are some contradictions depending on where you look and what is defined as severe duty and all that. But you are on the right track. Id do the first oil change around 1000-1200 miles then 7500 after that, even though they say you can go longer. I use the Napa gold (Wix) filter for it, 47152 I think, but check.

Fuel filters and air filters should be whatever is on it. If you buy on Amazon, look closely for cheap look-alikes. There are Fleetguard imitations that look very much like the genuine article, but not quite. Ive read of people having problems with the knock-offs. My water separator element is an Alliance filter, ABP/N122 - yours probably is to. But the Cummins guy was right - just look at what you have and use that. Its a chassis thing, not an engine manufacturer part.

Same with the air filter- I had to pull mine to get a number because I couldn't see it and no one could tell me with certainty. Then I called Napa - they wanted close to $300 and said it would take a week! The local (Sacramento) Freightliner dealer had them in stock and wanted $91. So shop around on that. Also that's a 20,000 mile thing depending on use and what your suck-O-meter says.

As for the trans, just go with your chassis manual for the first change. After that have it tested or stick with 30,000 miles. Whether thats 3 years or 5 makes little difference. This costs me around $350 for filters and fluid. Shops want around $1,000 or more and its an easy job.

Another thing to get on top of is your DEF filter. The book says anywhere from 250-300k but that spec was developed for trucks that see a lot of milage and constant use - the filter never sits dry for months at a time. Ive decided, through my own scientific methods, that for RVs this filter should be changed annually. Its around $40 and again, an easy job.

There’s a wide range of opinions on this here as you will quickly find out. The way I drive, I figure Im putting my little ISB to the test on every trip. Maybe not, but it always seems like Im getting everything out of it that it has to give. So for me thats severe duty, hence my 7500 mile oil change. Might not be necessary but I feel better about it.

For all the routine stuff, like chassis lube, front hubs, power steering, etc just go with the chassis maintenance schedule. Same with your generator and Oasis if you have that.

I get your frustration - I went through the same thing and came up with my own maintenance schedules based on the various references, my experience (50 years of enthusiast wrenching), and what I’ve learned on this forum. I try not to waste money on unnecessary work, but I also will err on the side of caution when it comes to keeping my chassis healthy.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What engine, year and chassis. It is difficult since there are four manufacture involved. Engine, transmission, chassis and coach? My motor home cummings engine ends at the start of the hoses. The chassis manufacture added the AC compressor, air pump, coolant hoses, radiator, fuel water separator, air filter. and some of the engine sensors.

The numbers you have for the allison schedule make no sense. that model trans mission has been around for a long time. Depending when it was built you coul have Dextron II, tes-295 or tes-668. 668 is backwards compatible to 295 and 295 is backward compatible to dextron II. The service intervals increase as you move newer but there are procedure to step newer. But all of the fluids call for service at which ever come first 48 months but the mileage is different depending on the fluid.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance