Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Renegade

I am about to purchase a new Renegade Verona coach on the M2 chassis. Before I write the big check I will be driving it next week. My question is how does a high end super C on the M2 chassis really drive? is the cab relatively quite? does it ride relatively smoothly? Does it track well? I have drive the M2 in the form of a Penske truck and to say the least it was kind of a beast! Please supply me with some opinions...thanks
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:18 PM   #2

We have a 2016 Verona, M2, and it drives more like an F450 pickup except the ride is smoother. You won't notice truck sway from other vehicles passing you. Wind noise is noticeable and comes mostly from the mirrors when you have a head wind. Coach is dead quite and free of squeaks and rattles. Have them put an air dump valve on the rear suspension as it prevents the jacks from walking when lowering them.
tgdameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
2017 Renegade Verona 36VSB picked up month and a half ago. Put on 6,000 miles already and very happy. Had a 40 American Eagle years ago and this is much more enjoyable to drive.

2017 Rengade Verona
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:58 AM   #4

The DW and I are considering a Verona as well.

Couple questions for the current owners:

1) How's the power? Does the ISL have enough torque to climb mountain grades while towing and maintain speed?

2) Is the short king bed an issue? At 6'-1" I'm concerned the 72"x75" bed would be too short...

Thanks.

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #5

We test drove the M2 chassis last year. They were Dynamaxs, not Renegades. I agree with tgdameron's assessment of the M2 and of Renegade coaches.

I think the beauty of most truck chassis (or at least the 7 I test rode/drove (2 M2s, 1 Volvo, 2 Columbias, 2 Coronados)) is that they go down the road like they are on rails. No sway, little-no body roll, no following, not bothered by the wind of passing vehicles.

The absence of squeaks and rattles that tg mentions appear to be true of all Renegades. Again, at least the ones I tested and the one I own.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I picked up my Verona in Denver and did a 5K mile trip back to the east coast via Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Wyoming and the mountains were absolutely no problem with much power to spare. I was not towing but that would not have been an issue in this rig. Plenty of power to spare. As far as the bed, I am 6'3' and the bed is short for me. And not very comfortable (for me). I added a 3" latex topper to it and now is very good. As others have mentioned, squeaks and rattles are almost non existant.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #7

Ditto on the bed, we added a 3" memory foam topper to make it comfortable for us. With regards to the power, sometimes you may need to manually select a gear. For instance, when driving where there are frequent stop lights and traffic, I use 4th gear which is good up to 45 MPH. On long steep grades >6%, I will slow down before the crest and select 4th with the engine brake on to minimize having to brake too much. I use this method when towing 6K. You will find in traffic that it wants to hunt between 5th and 6ths, in other words short shifts, when it does this I select 5th until the out of the small hills or traffic. Based on the Cummins Powerspec software using the rear gear ratio, transmission ratios, weight, and % of time spent of various road types, it says the best RPMs are between 1700 and 1800 for the most economical fuel usage and a cruising speed of 71. That's a bit fast for us so we run about 65 when towing.
tgdameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #8

So, the foam topper wouldn't address the length issue would it? Seems a full king topper would run into the wardrobe when the slide was in...

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
No the foam topper topper does not address the length issue but I have adjusted to the length. I found that being I normally sleep on my side its not that big of a problem. A residential king would run into the wardrobe.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #10

Got home to NH from NJ last Wed. in my new 36 VSB with zero issues. It is a different feeling completely coming out of and E-450, 31' coach. The M2 drives like a dream at what ever speed you want to drive it and I mean what ever speed! The 55 degree turning cut is superb compared to the Ford that one needed a football field to turn around in. So far not a single issue and I have been over every inch of the coach, Renegade does a superb job with fit and finish. Only negative is the cab is a little on the "spartan" side, I miss the dash cubbies, etc and can not find anything on the web that applies to the M2 and storage. A very happy camper to say the least! Worth the money for sure.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:09 AM   #11

Congratulations on the new rig!
Old 10-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #12

The only complaint I have about the M2 is the lack of storage cubbies, etc in the cab...I can not find anything after market either. like not even door pockets. Anyone have any suggestions? I saw SportsTruck has some nice center consoles but then you have no access to the coach
Old 10-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Been looking myself to no avail. The only other issue I have with my 36VSB is the awkward seating position for the copilot (wife) and the lack of adjustment in the seats in general. I contacted a Flexsteel dealer to see if they have an upgraded air seat for the M2 but I have not gotten the info yet.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #14

Harleydeal...Very interesting! my wife has the exact complaint and I brought the subject up to Renegade and they were really not overly helpful with any options. There really does need to be more ability to adjust the seating position. What complicates the subject matter (according to Renegade) is the fact that the options are somewhat limited without losing the swivel option. I did raise the front of the seat about 1" and that helped a little, my wife is very average at 5'6", 124 lbs. I would love to hear what you hear back from Flexsteel. I would recommend that you contact Renegade directly with your concerns and that way we can get a list of less than happy campers out there. keep us all posted.