Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Rumline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 247
Renegade purchase: New Valencia or 2017 Verona

I'm in the market for a super C and have pretty much decided on the Renegade brand. New 2019-20 Valencias and used 2017 Veronas seem to be in the same ballpark of $190-200k. (Aside: it still feels insane to drop this much on a "lifestyle" item) Which would you pick and why?

I do not plan on towing anything other than a car either 4-down or on a dolly. We live in Colorado so mountain passes are a thing. Assume no floorplan benefits from one to the other. I do "need" auto gen start or the ability to easily add said function.

From my perspective, the extra HP and torque of the L9 is appealing. On the other hand I've been in two used Dynamaxes of the the same vintage and both had a tired, worn out kind of feeling. I assume that is not unique to Dynamax and is more an issue with how used is "used".
__________________
2020 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 849
The extra power is nice to have in the mountains. But a bigger item is the larger engine (ISL) in the Verona has a 2 speed true compression engine brake. The smaller engine (ISB) in the Valencia can only have an exhaust brake. A true engine brake is very nice when going *down* the hill, it's not just getting up to top of the hill. You can't retrofit a compression brake onto an engine, it has to be built into the design.
Even larger engines like the ISX have 3 speed engine brakes to provide the selective amount needed.
I don't have knowledge of the other questions you asked. I have a Verona and happy so far. I also do not tow up to the limit, and feel the ISL is adequate. Not huge powerhouse, but so far OK. My old larger Showhauler truck conversion with the ISX had more power for the hills. Of course the ISX is also 14.6 liters vs 8.9 for the ISL. Displacement matters for torque.
The Valencia with the ISB will get you anywhere you want to go, I just think the Verona with ISL makes it a little easier.
__________________
2017 Renegade Verona 36 VSB
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion. sold.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:52 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Renegade RV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 207
Good points here on the power especially given your location. Also consider the floorplan as both the Valencia and Verona are distinctly different. We looked at both side by side on the dealers lot and opted for the Verona LE since we don’t need the cab over sleeping arrangement and also like the upgrades in the Verona LE model.
__________________
Dave, Helene & Wrangler our chocolate lab
2018 Renegade Verona LE 40 LTS
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 13
I have a 2020 Valencia with the ISB, I'll give you my perspective. When I purchased the Valencia I was very skeptical about the HP and torque. I could not afford to spend for the Verona so I accepted that I would not be the fastest on the road. I live in SoCal most of my trips are to Vegas so far. Except for the largest hills, Cajon Pass and Baker Pass the ISB can EASILY maintain 70 mph and while towing a Jeep JKU. And I normally use cruise control. You need to drive it like a manual tranny. When approaching a incline down shift to 4th manually and once you flatten out again up shift back to 5th. Always drive with the tranny in "mode". I figured it out after a few trips and it's very enjoyable now.
stanlow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 1,057
We are 100% happy with our Renegade. Spend four months last year going from Florida to Washington state and every mountain in between.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Frank Tamez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yakima WA
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
I'm in the market for a super C and have pretty much decided on the Renegade brand. New 2019-20 Valencias and used 2017 Veronas seem to be in the same ballpark of $190-200k. (Aside: it still feels insane to drop this much on a "lifestyle" item) Which would you pick and why?

I do not plan on towing anything other than a car either 4-down or on a dolly. We live in Colorado so mountain passes are a thing. Assume no floorplan benefits from one to the other. I do "need" auto gen start or the ability to easily add said function.

From my perspective, the extra HP and torque of the L9 is appealing. On the other hand I've been in two used Dynamaxes of the the same vintage and both had a tired, worn out kind of feeling. I assume that is not unique to Dynamax and is more an issue with how used is "used".
I just sent you a private message
__________________
2022 Showhauler 45 ft quad slide (On Order)
2020 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Diesel (Daily)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon (Toad)
Frank Tamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1
Thumbs up

For what it's worth, we bought a 2018 Verona and owned it for less than a week. Even though it is only 2 feet longer than a Valencia, it just felt a little bit "big" to me when driving. It also barely fit in our carport, both height and width-wise. So I actually had buyer's remorse and went back to the dealership and switched to a 2019 Valencia 38BB, which I ended up being much happier with! I felt the maneuverability of the S2RV frame was a bit better and we took it up the mountains of Arizona without issue. We used the exhaust/engine brake coming back downhill and it works great. The digital display vs. switches for the lights is a real upgrade and if you travel with kids or friends, the bunks are awesome!

I'm also posting because our life circumstances changed and our RV is for sale at SporttruckRV (Renegade dealer) here in Chandler, AZ for $174K with only 3,800 miles (I believe it came with 2400 delivered from the midwest). So it's basically brand new and maybe the best deal in the country if you are looking to save a little money.
Valencia38BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Rumline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlow1 View Post
I have a 2020 Valencia with the ISB, I'll give you my perspective. When I purchased the Valencia I was very skeptical about the HP and torque. [...] I figured it out after a few trips and it's very enjoyable now.
Very useful suggestions, including ones I snipped for brevity. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencia38BB View Post
So I actually had buyer's remorse and went back to the dealership and switched to a 2019 Valencia 38BB, which I ended up being much happier with! I felt the maneuverability of the S2RV frame was a bit better and we took it up the mountains of Arizona without issue. [...]



I'm also posting because our life circumstances changed and our RV is for sale at SporttruckRV (Renegade dealer) here in Chandler, AZ for $174K with only 3,800 miles (I believe it came with 2400 delivered from the midwest). So it's basically brand new and maybe the best deal in the country if you are looking to save a little money.
You have a very unique perspective, with what some may call "downgrading." I've test driven a Valencia and I thought it handled very well. While I didn't compare to a Verona, I'm glad that others with more experience also say that it drives nicely.

That's funny, I have been looking at that one on SportTruck's website. We need to sell our current RV first, but if yours hasn't sold yet its certainly a compelling option.
__________________
2020 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Fork, PA
Posts: 9
Renegade Valencia vs. Verona

We currently own a 2018 Renegade Verona 36VSB. Initially, we were "shopping" Super C prices, but quickly chose the Freightliner M2 Chassis for the following reasons: The Cummins 8.9 L9 engine is a truck-based engine, as opposed to the 6.7 Cummins motor in the S2RV Chassis. I had the Cummins-based torque upgraded to 1,050 ft. lb. from the factory 1,000 ft. lb. for $410.00 at my local Freightliner/Cummins dealer, while not affecting the 5 year engine warranty.......any thoughts of "just a little power starved" climbing the mountains went away during the initial trip home from the service center. The 2-stage Jake Brake is phenomenal, compared to the 6.7 exhaust brake. I tow under 10,000 lb. trailers (the Verona has a 20K rated hitch). Towing at 40%-50% capacity really improves drivability. The M2 in our Verona has a 13,400# front axle and doesn't need a front stabilizer......this is very beneficial for driving in severe cross winds and roadway imperfections, especially on 2-lane highways that have high center point elevations and right-side depressions. The quality of the Valencia and Verona coaches are quite similar and either would be a good choice. The Seneca house sections do not have the structure, fit, and finish of the Renegade......but they are also priced that way. Food for thought.
bkesslersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: phx , Az
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencia38BB View Post
For what it's worth, we bought a 2018 Verona and owned it for less than a week. Even though it is only 2 feet longer than a Valencia, it just felt a little bit "big" to me when driving. It also barely fit in our carport, both height and width-wise. So I actually had buyer's remorse and went back to the dealership and switched to a 2019 Valencia 38BB, which I ended up being much happier with! I felt the maneuverability of the S2RV frame was a bit better and we took it up the mountains of Arizona without issue. We used the exhaust/engine brake coming back downhill and it works great. The digital display vs. switches for the lights is a real upgrade and if you travel with kids or friends, the bunks are awesome!

I'm also posting because our life circumstances changed and our RV is for sale at SporttruckRV (Renegade dealer) here in Chandler, AZ for $174K with only 3,800 miles (I believe it came with 2400 delivered from the midwest). So it's basically brand new and maybe the best deal in the country if you are looking to save a little money.
Funny our 17 Verona is on the same lot.

Nothing seems to be moving these days.
Good luck
__________________
The world could be fair or round
06 Gulfstream Conquest Super C - 6340 8.1 Gas
17 Renegade Verona 36 VSB (Cummins ISL/M2 Chassis) 4 x 100ah AGM , 400w solar, ScanGaugeD
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Rumline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 247
Well let's go for broke: anybody want an Oliver travel trailer? 24' molded fiberglass, top of the line. Then I can buy one of y'all's Renegades!
__________________
2020 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Frank Tamez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Yakima WA
Posts: 342
What do you need to get for the Ollie?
__________________
2022 Showhauler 45 ft quad slide (On Order)
2020 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 Diesel (Daily)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon (Toad)
Frank Tamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
purchase



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renegade Verona vs Verona LE CorvetteGuy Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum 20 07-29-2019 11:33 AM
Verona Super C :: 2019 Renegade Verona LE chipf2 iRV2 Owners Registry 1 07-26-2019 06:36 AM
Renegade Verona :: 2020 Renegade Verona 40VBH jalewis iRV2 Owners Registry 1 06-25-2019 12:24 PM
Renegade Veracruz/Valencia/Verona - No Rear Window? content Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum 4 01-12-2019 08:44 PM
Road Comfort--Renegade Valencia/Verona dasadab Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum 8 05-20-2018 08:16 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.