Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2021, 11:50 AM   #1

Renegade slide problem

I have a brand new 2021 40’ renegade Verona and the front slide stopped working. I can hear the motor trying to open it, but there is no movement. Kind of like there is no engagement of the gear mechanism. It worked as expected for the first few times and then became non- functional in the closed position. Any ideas? Is there a manual override?
Gwolanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwolanek View Post
Any ideas?
Sounds like a warranty issue.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I agree with Patrick. Let the dealer worry about it!

I would suggest that you create a signature showing the make and model of your RV. It will help folks to answer questions you may have in the future. Look at post #30 in the link below that tells you how to do that.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...ml#post3101035

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:17 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it’s cold, please try to warm the video screen controller. In my 34 Renegade it is in the Aquahot compartment.
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyR View Post
If it’s cold, please try to warm the video screen controller. In my 34 Renegade it is in the Aquahot compartment.
Hello- Not sure I following your thoughts on the controller.

Thanks
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:36 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Hello- Not sure I following your thoughts on the controller.

Thanks

When the retract button was pushed(held on the screen) it turns red when the motor is running. Mine “red” button would disappear after 1 second and the motor stops. Either the screen or the controller is temperature sensitive.
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #7

On mine, there is a worm gear that you can see if you crawl under the RV. Motor, gear, shaft, etc. all accessible. Might be worth seeing what is going on.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyR View Post
When the retract button was pushed(held on the screen) it turns red when the motor is running. Mine “red” button would disappear after 1 second and the motor stops. Either the screen or the controller is temperature sensitive.
Hello All - Anytime the Firefly controller panel or the firefly App turns "RED" it means there "Can Be" a full time or temp fault occurring during operation, therefore it has nothing to do with temperature at that moment.

When the "Canbus" / "Firefly" sends a signal to the device, it does a handshake and the device sends a signal back to Firefly to show it received the command. If the button turns red it means the handshake sent back has a warning. In many cases this is just timing of the device - in other words, it needs a time buffer to get things in sync. You might have noticed when you turn on the "Diesel Heat Function" or even Electric Heat, you get a momentary red flash - this happens because the internal water pump in the Aqua Hot is not up to speed yet when the command is sent back to firefly, as the pump begins to operate the red flash disappears.

Stay Safe - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9010.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	331608  
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:07 AM   #9

I have a 2021 Verona 36VSB. I too have some ongoing issues with my bedroom slide which is a Schwintec mechanism. I would recommend calling Renegade tech support before doing anything else. They were very prompt and helpful in getting my slide back in so I could get back on the road, however, problems still persist that concern me. I believe the front slide is not of Schwintec design but of a standard rack and pinion design. From your description it sounds like the either the clutch in the motor is releasing because the slide is binding or out of alignment. CALL RENEGADE TECH SUPPORT!
grady8288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady8288 View Post
I have a 2021 Verona 36VSB. I too have some ongoing issues with my bedroom slide which is a Schwintec mechanism. I would recommend calling Renegade tech support before doing anything else. They were very prompt and helpful in getting my slide back in so I could get back on the road, however, problems still persist that concern me. I believe the front slide is not of Schwintec design but of a standard rack and pinion design. From your description it sounds like the either the clutch in the motor is releasing because the slide is binding or out of alignment. CALL RENEGADE TECH SUPPORT!
I’m just curious what the issue with your bedroom slide is? I had an issue with it not retracting as the right side (looking from inside) was binding. I spoke with Woody at Renegade and he had me push the button on the controller located under one of the draws. It has worked since then but I would like a more permanent solution.
Happi Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:20 PM   #11

George, Sounds like we had the same issue and followed the same path through Renegade tech support by resetting the Schwintec controller. The condition is that there are two slide motors (left & right) that go "out of synch" and cause the binding of the slide. After accessing Schwintec online tech support forum, it suggested that after slide closes or opens, to hold the button for an additional 3-5 seconds to keep the motors synched. I confirmed this procedure with Woody at Renegade, however, the out of synch condition now became much more frequent. In fact, I found myself leaving the drawer out to more readily access the controller. On a recent trip to the REV group repair center in Coburg Oregon for a different issue, I questioned the technician regarding my issues with the Schwintec bedroom slide. I also explained the suggested procedure to hold the button in for 3-5 seconds after fully opening or closing. He told me that he has heard of that procedure and does not agree with it. He said that he sees the Schwintec mechanism in numerous product lines with the same issue and it's not related to just Renegade. His suggestion was this 1) When closing or opening the slide, release the button as soon as the slide weather strip makes contact with the wall. Don't allow the slide to come in or go out so far that the seals are crushed. 2) Lube the slide mechanism once or twice a year and follow the lube procedure in the Schwintec tech support form. They also recommended a special lube which you will find in the lube procedure. Once they lubed my slide and I have followed their suggested procedure, I have not had another occurrence.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:19 PM   #12

Grady, thanks for the updated information. I too was told the same procedure about holding the button down for 3-5seconds and so far I haven't had the issue again. Will definitely look into the lubrication procedure from Schwintec. Thanks again, safe travels.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:20 PM   #13

Some new information: I am still learning about the factory installed lithium ion battery system in my Verona and through online research, it was advised that if the coach was not in use and the house batteries were fully charged, it was best to switch the house batteries off to maintain their charge while in storage. Inherently, when I started doing that, it was then that I started experiencing the rear Schwintec slide motors going out of synch. When I realized that their may be a correlation between the two events, I decided to call Schwintec for technical advice. The technical assistant told be that the module for the slides can loose it's "learned memory" if the module looses battery power over time. He advised me (after first switching the house batteries back on) to run the slide in then out approximately 10-12 inches for a consecutive 3-4 times and then run it all the way out to its full stop. He said by doing that the module relearns itself and synchs the drive motors. Well... it sounds logical and even though its a pain to do that each time I turn my house batteries back on, I have not experienced the problem since.
For what it's worth.
Rich
Old 07-18-2021, 01:54 AM   #14

Grady,

Thanks for the follow up post on this. I never corelated disconnecting my house batteries with the slide issue. I too, like yourself disconnected my batteries for the winter months and that is when the problem occurred. I haven't had the issue again since calibrating it the way we were instructed. I did however follow up on the lubrication procedure which you mentioned per the Schwintec video.

Thanks again for your due diligence on the follow up.

Safe travels,
George

Tags
problem, slide