Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #1

Renegade Verona Air Bag

I have a 2020 Renegade Verona bought new and it has always leaned to the passenger side just a bit. This is with the slides in and ready to travel or empty. I finally got a chance to take it to Freightliner and they adjusted air bag or ride heights, what ever someone wants to call it.

Nothing changed much. I took it back today again and they adjusted again. Well they did something this time because now it leans the other way. LOL

I dont have time to keep running this back and forth to Freightliner so has anyone ever adjusted on their own? I know it has 2 separate auto levelers 1 for each side but I have never fooled with them.

Any help appreciated..
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
I have a 2020 Renegade Verona bought new and it has always leaned to the passenger side just a bit. This is with the slides in and ready to travel or empty. I finally got a chance to take it to Freightliner and they adjusted air bag or ride heights, what ever someone wants to call it.

Nothing changed much. I took it back today again and they adjusted again. Well they did something this time because now it leans the other way. LOL

I dont have time to keep running this back and forth to Freightliner so has anyone ever adjusted on their own? I know it has 2 separate auto levelers 1 for each side but I have never fooled with them.

Any help appreciated..
I just went through this with my Verona and adjusted the airbags myself. It’s pretty easy. First, I suggest you get underneath your coach and take a look at the leveling rods and valves so you have a general understanding how they work. You will see the system is simple. There are air valves attached to the inboard frame on each side. These valves have levers which are pushed up or pulled down by a rod attached to the axle. This actuation inflates or deflates the bags individually to keep the coach level. The OEM means of initial adjustment is via loosening the valves on the frame to rotate the valve body up or down. The OEM adjustment method is a PITA as it’s difficult to make adjustments. Replace one of the OEM leveling rods with an adjustable one and use it to level the coach with the other side.
Paul R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #3

Thank you for the info. I will look tonight and see what your talking about. I may have another question or 2 but sure appreciate the start.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Man View Post
Thank you for the info. I will look tonight and see what your talking about. I may have another question or 2 but sure appreciate the start.
I’m happy to help. There are a variety of adjustable leveling rods available, but something like this is the easiest to use:

Click image for larger version

Name:	44ECBC19-A8E1-4755-8E08-9C74057D5E65.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	328389
Old 05-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #5

I crawled up under the MH tonight and seen exactly what you are talking about. I didn't really see any adjustment on it but I can see how Freightliner has been working on it and thats with a hammer. I can see where they have been pecking on the lower mounting bracket to bend it up to achieve what you are recommending but your way seems much easier and would make a better job. The part you recommended, is that just something I can order and do a replacement?
Old 05-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #6

Googled it Paul.. I found what you are talking about. Cant thank you enough bud.. Maybe this thread can help someone else.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #7

For future reference, from what I’ve seen on numerous truck chassis at Freightliner dealers, the standard Airliner truck suspension has one leveling valve that feeds both airbags. With one leveling valve, there is no side-to-side adjustment. Both airbags are raised/lowered in unison.

The chassis Renegade uses has two leveling valves, one for the driver side and one on the passenger side, presumably because the side-to-side load varies more on an RV (e.g. slides, waters tanks, etc.).

My brand new Verona leaned quite a bit on the passenger side. The passenger side leveling valve did not have enough adjustment to raise the airbag to level the RV even with the driver side valve adjusted to it lowest airbag height position.

On my chassis the passenger side leveling rod was simply too short. This was caused by an incorrect (too short) leveling rod or the lower leveling rod bracket on the axle being welded in the wrong position. Consistent with your observation, my brackets had evidence of someone beating on them with a hammer to move them in an effort to level the coach.

The adjustable leveling rod on the passenger side of my chassis fixed the leaning on the passenger side and leveled the chassis. It’s important to note that when leveled, the adjustable rod was about 1.25 inches longer than the OEM rod. Based on the number of complaints of leaning coaches, my guess it that the extra leveling valve for the RV chassis is an atypical alteration during the manufacturing process and Freightliner isn’t taking the time to get it right. It’s too bad because a $15 part (adjustable leveling rod) is all that’s needed.

Some additional tips when you level your coach: make sure you have enough air in the tank (they lose pressure quickly when you’re adjusting the valves); start with the adjustable leveling rod in the same length as your OEM rod and put an index mark on it by scoring it with a razor knife; adjust it to level the coach (measure frame to ground); drive around the block and repeat the adjustment until you get it level in the rear. Put additional index marks on the rod each time you adjust so you have a visual reference. If the FRONT of your coach isn’t level after you level the rear, you need shims for the front leaf springs, but that is a different thread for another day.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Here’s the FL adjustment procedure for my 2020 LE.

6597542.pdf

Tags
air