Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #1

Question Renegade Verona Queen Bed Conversion

There is so little room on either side of the king bed that comes standard in the Verona, making it is quite difficult. So, we were thinking of changing it to a queen bed. Was wondering if anyone has ordered one with a queen or converted to a queen, and if so, if they might have pictures they could share showing what it looks like with a queen. Thanks.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #2

Ordered verona in 2016 when king was standard.....queen an option. When delivered it was a queen....very disappointed. Since then have added extention to end of bed and much thicker matress but layout remains the same.....see pix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	762E7AD4-57C6-4833-BC85-BF579B1C7D93.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	293363   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCC1C7FB-2C8B-4333-BD40-8B6522F7B450.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	293364  

netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

Netjam -- Thanks for the pics but I was wondering what the sides of the bed look like. I understand that they put a shelf/cabinet on each side of the mattress and was wondering if the mattress base is cut back all the way to the edge of the slide. The hinge on the bed base is inboard from the slide edge a little over a foot. Do they cut this excess off flush with the slide edge? Can't quite figure out from your pics what I am seeing. Is your headboard in the slide and the foot of the bed come up against the drawers and closet when the slide is in?

Sorry you are unhappy with the queen. For us, it is so hard to change sheets and make the bed with so little room on the sides of the bed, we think it would be far more convenient to have a queen. Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #4

Is yours a true king? Our coach has what's called an Olympic Queen -- never heard of it before now -- which measures 66"x80". A true king is 76"x80". Regular queen is 60"x80".

The drawback to the OQ size is finding sheets, etc...

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #5

Ours came with King. It was crowded and a pain to make the bed. We bought a custom size tochta mattress - 62X74. Now there is 3" on each side. We probably could have left the plywood base on there, but I made a new one that had a little overlap of mattress on each side.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
Netjam -- Thanks for the pics but I was wondering what the sides of the bed look like. I understand that they put a shelf/cabinet on each side of the mattress and was wondering if the mattress base is cut back all the way to the edge of the slide. The hinge on the bed base is inboard from the slide edge a little over a foot. Do they cut this excess off flush with the slide edge? Can't quite figure out from your pics what I am seeing. Is your headboard in the slide and the foot of the bed come up against the drawers and closet when the slide is in?

Sorry you are unhappy with the queen. For us, it is so hard to change sheets and make the bed with so little room on the sides of the bed, we think it would be far more convenient to have a queen. Thanks again.
We have verona bunkhouse so the bed is not in the slide. It is on the floor proper and is over the fresh water tanks, pump etc. the bed frame is about 60”x 71” almost exactly the size of the mattress 60”x72”. I think the mattress overhangs the plywood platform an inch or so.
I wanted a king as I like to spread out and I am tall. The queen was too short so I added a prefinished shelf from home depot ( 60x8” particle board covered with melemine) attaching it with a 60” piano hinge. I them got a foam 60x8x the thickness of the mattress and put it in a mattress protector with the mattress. I now have a real queen mattress 60xalmost80.
When the original mattress gave out I got a much thicker pillow top matttress and upsized the foam.
Problem with the thicker mattress is that it does not bend like the original so to access the pump and tanks you really need to remove the mattress from the platform. It was also a hassle to move the headboard up on the wall as it was attached to the wall with about 4000 staples.
When we bring in the slide, we remove the foam and fold down the shelf.
I still wish I had a king but the longer queen has worked for 3+ years fulltime.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #7

Mine is not a full king either...about 75" wide by 74" long. Most short queens are 60x74 or 60x75. Since the bed slides out with the slide, by going to a queen we would have about 6 or 7 inches more on each side of the bed...which would be about 50% more room than we have now.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #8

Yup...understand what you want but for us the space in bed mattered more than the space around the bed. Guess thats why there are options. Different folks want different things. Was really upset when ours was delivered but as we had already insured and licensed it, had renegade convert the bunks to storage cupboards etc, we took it. Would have been too much hassle to refuse it at that point.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #9

lslblues -- Does your bed slide out? If so, did you cut the aluminum frame down on each side to the same size as the box around the water tanks? And did you cut it all the way to the wall with the slide extended? Have any pics you can share of what it looks like being cut back? Thanks.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #10

lslblues -- I'm hijacking my own post wondering which Tochta mattress you bought? How do you like it? I have been looking at them online and am trying to decide between the utopia and three other (non Tochta) brands. Other brands seem to give significant discounts but not Tochta. Were you able to negotiate with them?
Old 07-17-2020, 02:08 AM   #11

My bed does not slide. My wall of cabinets slides out.

Have utopia. Like it very much. No bargaining, but did have coupon I found online for like 75 off.
lslblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #12

On my 2020 36 Verona with a King, it was too tight for us on each side. I took the king matress and cut width down to Queen. Took king mattress off, removed stitching on one side
and slid foam rubber mattress out. Used an old electric food knife to make clean cut on foam rubber. Bought a 3inch queen mattress topper from Costco. Put on queen sheets and came out with a better fitting mattress. Left 3 inch metal tubing on each side. It is easier to get around and to make bed. Very comfortable, without any expense except for topper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	293823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	293824  

kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:26 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Steve, not sure I fully understand your question. I have a Valencia with the factory queen. And I don't know if this part of the Verona and Valencia are constructed similarly. The headboard is within the slide. The metal bed frame is inboard of the queen bed base by about an inch.
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #14

Walt -- Yes, I think you understand. My headboard is in slide, foot of bed pushed up against drawers when slide is in. So, I was trying to get information on changing the "RV king" size mattress and bed frame (70" wide by 74" long) into an "RV queen" (60" wide by 74" long) to allow more room on each side of the bed for simplicity when making the bed. As it turns out, since my original post, I have cut the bed framework down and have it ready for an RV queen to be installed. I have been researching mattresses since before posting and have it down to three manufacturers. Monday I am going to call each of them to get their best prices and decide from there. I hate the original iRelax all foam mattress that Renegade provided and am looking for something a lot better. At any rate, the framework is ready so all I need to do is put the mattress in. Was also considering making some small shelves/cabinets/lightstands for each side of the mattress to fill the gap between the mattress and the slide walls. That may come later. I was in touch with Renegade about converting this and they wanted about $2.4K for the conversion, which included a new headboard and nite stands, so I decided to do it myself.

Kraig -- Thanks for the pics. I had a topper on ours but found it was still uncomfortable. Perhaps the topper (memory foam) was not the right kind. It is about 2.5" mem foam but don't like it. Have had mem foam on home mattress and love it but do not like it on the iRelax mattress Renegade provided.

Tags
conversion