Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #1

Renegade Verona Step Power - Help.

In short, I am looking for help in locating the power source for the motorized step power on this coach.

I am repairing the motorized steps on my 2018 Verona LE. Having replaced motors and controllers on previous units I thought this would be quick.

Using the Lippert instructions to test the function of the controller and motor, I have tested 2 different motors which respond properly when connected directly to a battery as well as metered outputs of the 4 pin plug. I also swapped controllers and have made no headway.

By all diagnostics this should be working. But it is not, the motor does not respond when connected up to the controller.

As a test, I used the red wire in the 4 pin plug from the RV side to try and power the motor. It will not! It meters 12volts to ground but will not move the motor. This to me feels like a faulty relay or breaker that is leaking 12v but with no current behind it. I used the 12 volt lead the runs the stair light to test the motor and it ran it just fine. This is when the stair light is powered from the light switch and not the controller.

When you first energize the controller you can hear a clicking or relay noise from the controller for a while.

I cannot find the source of the power for the red lead in the 4 pin plug which powers the step unit. Any idea where I should look for this?

There are no breakers labeled for it.

Best,
Chris Anderson
Harrisburg , PA
littleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #2

Clue.....

Step motor continues to operate when the switch by entry door, Coach battery isolation switch" is activated. This switch removes power feed to the 12V fuse panel.

Another clue....

The inverter continues to be supplied with 12V powered when the Coach battery Isolation switch. A big fat red cable runs across coach from battery to inverter.

So there is 12V power running to the inverter at all times and Inverter operates off the batteries unless the inverter is turned off at the Magnum.

I'd look for a wire coming off the inverter 12V input, maybe with an inline fuse feeding the step motor.

Some shame is due Renegade for not suppling coach schematics to buyers.

Good luck.
DeetsMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:24 AM   #3

Fuse for steps is in battery bay, part of cut off switch. Couple little yellow tabs that hold a cover on a fuse block. Fuses in there are steps, hose reel, power cord reel, and Aqua Hot if you have one.
twc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #4

As an update to this, thank you for the tips, they were very helpful. Through the process or metering and testing almost everything, I disconnected the connectors to the fuse block/switch in the battery bay. After not being able to get the 12volt red wire to power the step motor, reseating these 2 (4 pole) connectors, resolved the problem.
I despise problems that “go away on their own”. The fact that this fuse block (4 fuses with yellow tabs holding the lid, also appears to be a switching point for the generator, battery and inverter hot leads means it is an active device. There is also a red led on it that says “switching active” (I believe). I suppose there could be something going on here but I need to find some more info on what the switching has to do with the 4 fuses.

For now, the steps are working and I do know where to start digging if this comes up again.
littleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #5

Pretty sure for safety reasons the step works off the chassis battery so when the motor is started it retracts the step.

Regards Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power