Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2017, 08:12 AM   #113

Installed Sumo Springs fore and aft as well as the Helwig 1 1/2" Sway Bar.
The O.E.M. parts were anemic at best. Better ride, less sway (wind/semis)
and an unexpected bonus: lost that annoying front end dip when braking.
Purchased via Amazon and left detailed reviews for each w/pics. HTH
trenchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 01:30 PM   #114

WOOOHOOOOO!!! First post!!

Just learned of the existence of Renegade RVs today, and stumbled across this forum via a Google search for reviews. Glad to hear the Villagio (and presumably the Vienna) are great RVs. I'm currently looking into the viability of full-time RVing as a retirement option. Frankly, the big Class As scare the crap out of me. LOL Also, I've seen a few National Parks with size restrictions. So I was looking for smaller RVs.

So for those of you tooling around the US in these things......do you think they'd be suitable for a single person to full-time in?
Allentc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:23 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
Just learned of the existence of Renegade RVs today, and stumbled across this forum via a Google search for reviews. Glad to hear the Villagio (and presumably the Vienna) are great RVs. I'm currently looking into the viability of full-time RVing as a retirement option. Frankly, the big Class As scare the crap out of me. LOL Also, I've seen a few National Parks with size restrictions. So I was looking for smaller RVs.

So for those of you tooling around the US in these things......do you think they'd be suitable for a single person to full-time in?
Absolutely, and all of the beer in the fridge is YOURS!
Old 05-21-2017, 03:50 AM   #116

You will have to make some adjustments (carrying capacity and storage) but I don't see a problem.

I have a 2015 Villagio QRS and on my longest trip did around 6,000 miles over 70 days. Plenty of room for me and my dog (big boy at around 100 pounds).

As you say the size is just right for someone who wants to get into areas where the Class A's can't make it (sometimes can't even get there because of the entrance road) and is nimble enough to drive in urban areas.

Up until I added a power scooter lift on the back I drove mine around town to do the usual chores (post office, grocery store, etc) and just used a handicap space (stuck out a bit) for parking. After the lift I know have to park out further and use two spaces but if you don't have a lift (for a scooter or extra storage) then it fits just about anywhere.

One thing I think you will have to avoid or be cautious in is cold weather. I live in Colorado and got nailed a couple of times this past winter with some frozen parts due to my inability to get out in heavy snowfall. The repairs (one frozen filter, a frozen hose connection, and a frozen hot water heater tank) were not expensive repairs but of course took time to fix. You just have to watch it like a hawk during extreme cold. I was having some power issues (bad battery) and got careless during one extended cold snap. Next year I plan to add a remote starter (for days when I can't get down the stairs) and pay a lot closer attention to the weather and propane supply.

If you need any advice, just send me a message. Good luck. Jim
JimGraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #117

Anybody out there had to replace their house batteries? Mine (Discover EV27A-As) were dead according to O'Reilly and they are recommending replacement with
Optima Blue Top 27Ms. Anyone out there have an opinion?
Old 06-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #118

Fleetwood Owners Club
Renegade Villagio thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGraves View Post
Anybody out there had to replace their house batteries? Mine (Discover EV27A-As) were dead according to O'Reilly and they are recommending replacement with
Optima Blue Top 27Ms. Anyone out there have an opinion?

Your batteries are 12 volt group 27 AGMs. Many RV owners enjoy lifeline AGM batteries. They aren't inexpensive. I've been happy with them though in my past 2 RVs.

I'd suggest though going to a place that specifically sells batteries for RVs or marine to have them tested to see if they really are shot rather than an auto parts store if one is available in your city. It seems early with your RV vintage for them to have already failed.

As for a multistage charger, I have been very happy with CTEK for conditioning our batteries.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #119

OEM Batteries

I am pretty certain the House Batteries are shot.

I had some health issues that kept me from keeping the unit properly powered up during a cold spell in January-February and I have had some problems with getting any kind of longevity out of them since then. I was plugged into shore power from my house during the bad weather but did not notice that a circuit breaker had tripped in the house and no power was going to the unit. I think draining the house batteries down to zip damaged them.

Are you using the CTEK 4.3 or the 5.0? Or other model?

Reading up on that I see that it also has a function which allows you to desulfate and recover batteries that have gone dead. Considering the price of new AGMs (about $295 each) that would be worth a try.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #120

Curious what kind of mileage y'all are getting...
We've been bangin' 17 (with about 3 hrs of d. genny use per tank)
Only have about 5K on her, expecting that # to improve as we log
more miles. Talked to a guy getting 18-19 has 35K on his. We're at
~150lbs under CCC runnin' 65psi on Conti 4 Seasons.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:47 AM   #121

CTEK And Battery Issues

I have just under 9,500 miles on my unit. I have been averaging right at 16 MPG but I am sure I am running heavy (have not weighed at a certified weight scale) and I tend to drive around 65 to 70 MPH.

I am a stickler for keeping tire's aired up (back in my drag racing days I saw some blow outs; not pretty).

Have not used the generator much at all. Mostly just briefly in the morning to make coffee and heat water to make a hot cereal and warm up a croissant or at night to heat up supper. Usually run less than 10 minutes. I mostly stay in Wal-Marts and Interstate Rest Stops on the roll and in State Parks (with power) when I reach an area I want to explore.

Have you upgraded your GPS system? It is OK for navigating the highway system but pretty out of date and limited on POIs. I have had updating the GPS system on my "to do" list for months but have not gotten to it.

I plan to do the "Sunbird" bit most Winters either to the Gulf Coast in the U.S. (Alabama or Texas) or Caribbean Coast of the Yucatan so I am thinking about doing some solar on top this fall.

I ordered a CTEK 7002 today. Went for that model instead of the 4.3 or 5.0 based on the Model selector on CTEK's web site.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBill View Post
I have a 2015 Villagio rear bed I really like the size. We flat tow a Jeep wrangler and still get 15 mpg. I am not fond of the small tables for eating or cooking prep. I also ran a rope light over top of the driver & passengers seats to give me more light for reading at night. I also added an auto-leveling system. The wife really likes that!! Also I don't need 2 TV. I am Now looking for a different front and side window covers.
Can you share more details about the leveling system you installed? I am looking to get a Renegade Villagio, but would like to have the leveling system. Any feedback on how best to install? I thought I could have someone replace the pair of stabilizing jacks with full levelers and use the existing stabilizing jack wiring and power to make or easier to route the control module. Thank you.
Gilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #123

Which bed was better, pull out or air. The queen on slide; does it split at your hips causing falling into crack
Bill407walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #124

Sorry it took so long getting back, we just got home from a New England trip.
1) We put in the Equalizer leveling system last year I think it is great. We went up to Elkhart Ind and had it installed at there factory. I did not want somebody learning how to install the system on my rig. They did the install in less then 4 hrs and we where on the road that same day.
2) I got a Garmin 760RV GPS and am very happy with this unit I think it is easer to use the the Jensen unit. Also I like to plan out my trip on my lap top the down load it to my Garmin.
3) As far as the bed we have the rear slide out model. this nice when we are traveling and I need to take a nap but don't want to put the slide out. Only disadvantage is the generator is under the bed if we need to run the roof top AC.
4) I am getting about 14 mpg with a heavy foot and a 97 Jeep wrangler in tow.
5) I to am having house battery problems and have started looking into a battery charging system.
LazyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #125

Tiffin Owners Club
Door strut

My 2015 Villagio coach door strut broke the stud mounted at the threshold. I couldn't see a practical way of extracting the broken piece, so I went about replacing it with a surface mount stud. This involved trimming the bottom of both doors to allow extra clearance. End result is much sturdier than a single strut. I took some photos along the way. I suspect others will have this issue too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_110004.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	167352   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_110023.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	167353  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_124927.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	167354   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170701_125029.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	167355  

Grn_Mtn_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #126

Tiffin Owners Club
Batteries

I swapped out the original battery charger for a good 4 stage charger/inverter. I keep the coach plugged in when not in use. This keeps the batteries nicely charged and also does double duty as an inverter when we are dry camping. As a side bonus, the chassis battery is also maintained when the coach is plugged in. Renegade installs a trickle charger for this. Both batteries going on 3 years old and going strong.
I get between 13 and 15 mpg, towing a small 3000 lb Nissan Versa. Great toad! We like the sofa slide/bed unit. More cabinet space and bigger bathroom. Bed is out of the way when we travel.
Watch out for the wheel hubcap mounted airlines. Lose a cap, and you lose your two airlines as well. Think hissssssss. I removed them and installed stainless valve stems for the dually wheels. All my hubcaps are now zip tied on.
Grn_Mtn_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote