Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2020, 04:50 AM   #1

Sanitizing water tanks

I want to sanitize our water tanks this spring but am stumped on how to get the bleach solution into the tanks. My thought was to use the winterizing line to pump the solution into the tanks but in looking at the valving I don’t think this is possible.

Curious for what other Renegade owners have done.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2020, 05:14 AM   #2

Get a garden hose Venturi siphon for an easy way to add your fav sanitizer while you fill. Another option just extend your water line and fill the hose, reconnect to external water, and continue filling. The later is what I do.
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:18 AM   #3

This is what I do. I take the water hose and dump some bleach down the hose. I stick the hose in the tank and turn on the water.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #4

I am sure this will create some comments, but in 30 years and 6 motorhomes some new some used, I have never sanitized a water tank and never been sick.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceRenegade View Post
Get a garden hose Venturi siphon for an easy way to add your fav sanitizer while you fill. Another option just extend your water line and fill the hose, reconnect to external water, and continue filling. The later is what I do.
The later is what I do as well. You can get about a quart in 50 ft.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #6

Thanks for the input everyone. All good comments and advice.

I was searching for an educator pump on Amazon and not finding what I was looking for. I searched for a Venturi pump and found a brass one for $25 that looks pretty sturdy. I may order it if I decide to go forward with the process in light of Paul’s comments.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #7

I take the filter cartridge out of the housing on the incoming water line and add the bleach to the filter case. Screw the housing back on and flush bleach into tanks, then stop and replace the filter cartridge. Haven't had any water problems so far. This was suggested by my dealer....
docf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post
I am sure this will create some comments, but in 30 years and 6 motorhomes some new some used, I have never sanitized a water tank and never been sick.
I've kind of come around to this way of thinking.

My normal source of water is usually some sort of city water which is already treated with chlorine to sanitize it. If it's been more than a month of non-use I drain the fresh water tank and simply refill with fresh water. We normally use the water tank for cooking, coffee and tea, etc.

I do have a clear housing screen filter attached to the tank outlet so I can see if anything is amiss as far as scuzz.

We almost never hook up the water system to a shore supply, simply filling the tank directly as needed when we dump.

Most of our camping is either mooch(driveway), dry, or dispersed. Leaving Monday for four nights of hookup free camping in Savannah GA and Apalachicola FL.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #9

What ratio of bleach to water is preferred to sanitize?
datsun78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by datsun78 View Post
What ratio of bleach to water is preferred to sanitize?
Just did mine today. 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallon of fresh water. Put it into the filter housing minus the filter then filled the tank. I ran each of the cold water taps for a few minutes each then let it sit for a while. Then I ran the entire contents of the fresh tank into the gray tank and through the toilet into the black tank until they were both full. They’re currently sitting with the bleach water in them and I’ll drain them both in about an hour.

I refilled the fresh water tank then with the “fresh” water I ran the taps again to get the remaining bleach water out of them.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #11

This was really helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
Just did mine today. 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallon of fresh water. Put it into the filter housing minus the filter then filled the tank. I ran each of the cold water taps for a few minutes each then let it sit for a while. Then I ran the entire contents of the fresh tank into the gray tank and through the toilet into the black tank until they were both full. They’re currently sitting with the bleach water in them and I’ll drain them both in about an hour.

I refilled the fresh water tank then with the “fresh” water I ran the taps again to get the remaining bleach water out of them.
This was very helpful, thank you.
mwhdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 06:17 AM   #12

I hate the idea of trying to pour sanitizer solution into the hose that's attached to the coach. Drawing bleach or some other solution into the pump through the straw under the bed, messy. I found one of the inline things on Amazon, I'm not the most graceful person in the world and trying to pour bleach or some other sanitizing solution into the bottle cap sized opening, um nope. I so whacked this thing together
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sanitizer.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	318562  
JoeRider677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRider677 View Post
I hate the idea of trying to pour sanitizer solution into the hose that's attached to the coach. Drawing bleach or some other solution into the pump through the straw under the bed, messy. I found one of the inline things on Amazon, I'm not the most graceful person in the world and trying to pour bleach or some other sanitizing solution into the bottle cap sized opening, um nope. I so whacked this thing together
BRILLIANT IDEA!

Could add a 1/4 turn shutooff valve.
MagnaTudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #14

I have the garden hose style for the unit. The end fittings are garden hose
JoeRider677 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water