Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2021, 06:20 AM   #1

Screwing Into Basement Compartment Walls

I posed this question in another thread of mine, but this is a different topic and one I can’t find discussed here using the search engine so I am posing it as a separate thread. I know we have all had to face this when doing mods to our coach, but how many of you have screwed fasteners directly into the basement compartment walls to attach a device or wire management or anything that needs permanent fitment? In my other RV, there is about three-quarters of an inch of open space between the compartments and I never had to worry about penetrating the adjacent compartment or driving a fastener into something I shouldn’t (you know, like the diesel line feeding the AquaHot...). Looking at my Verona I can’t tell if I have any gap/space between compartments at all. Using a backer board does work, but there are areas where that isn’t practical and I still need to set a screw. I wanted to see if anyone had already figured this out and had advice. Thanks for all the help.
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2021, 02:35 PM   #2

I have a 2020 Valencia 38RW. I have drill 1/4" holes thru the walls to mount things, bolt in one compartment and nut in another compartment. Yes there is a small gap between the two compartments. Just tighten until the two walls touch or use a nylok nut if you do not want to tighten that tight. Nylok nut will prevent nut from working loose. I have also drilled thru the back wall, but get under and look first to make sure you will not drill something other than the back wall.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:34 AM   #3

When I modified the outside entertainment center on my Classic, I first climbed completely under the rig so I could inspect the area around the storage compartment closely with a flashlight. Once I determined that there was a gap between the compartments and that there were no hoses, wires, etc. where I planned to fasten the revised system, I pre-drilled the holes and used self threading metal screws just long enough to do the job and bedded them in silicone sealant.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:42 AM   #4

Well nuts also work, and they’re self-sealing.
Uncle_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:13 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback and information. I completed my solar install yesterday and was able to place the components in the inverter bay with no issues. I predrilled the compartment walls with a 5/64" bit - but only through the first wall. Was able to measure the space and found out I had close to 1/2" in most areas. Was then able to use the correct self tapping fastener to affix the components. Was very pleased where I ended up and thanks to everyone for responding.
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #6

Those Renegade compartment walls are thick - I drilled 4" holes on both sides of my large compartment for my Lithium installation to get the wiring through. I also drilled the Aqua Hot compartment to capture "free heat" from the furnace to help keep my lithium batteries warm in winter as well as additional air volume for summer to keep the inverter heat down, here's a few images.

Stay Safe Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comp.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	332094   Click image for larger version

Name:	comp2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	332095  

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:42 AM   #7

I would think Rivnuts would be ideal for that application...

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #8

What sort of hole saw are were you using to drill those big holes? I about wore out a drill bit just doing some pilot holes
Wandering Mcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mcs View Post
What sort of hole saw are were you using to drill those big holes? I about wore out a drill bit just doing some pilot holes
You just need a brand name hole saw like Milwaukee and a good arm - those bargain hole saws won't make it.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a saw.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	332347  
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr