Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #1

Solar Charge Controller Placement

I am installing a solar array this weekend (finally) to keep my house batteries charged and healthy. It’s not a huge array and I have spec’d my components carefully to match which was math but not hard. I have a question on where I should locate my Victron Solar Charge Controller and Lynx Distributor. The bay with the inverter is right next to the battery bank and a logical choice as that is where the solar wiring from the roof comes into the coach, but this is a smaller compartment and one that gets pretty doggone hot when the inverter/charger is running. I have thought of placing my charger-to battery disconnect and solar array disconnect in the inverter bay and using the larger space in the adjacent bay that houses the Aqua Hot. Plenty of room there, but am I borrowing trouble placing the Lynx Distributor and Charge Controller in that spot (mixing electrical with plumbing/fuel). I am attaching a picture I found on the web that shows these bays so you can see what I am talking about. Let me know your thoughts and I appreciate all the advice I get from this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Renegade Verona Batt_Inv_AquaHot.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	331357  
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #2

My solar controller is located in the inverter box on the opposite wall as far away as possible from the inverter. That's the way it came when I purchased my rig used. Ironically, my RV is in the shop getting additional solar and a second controller installed. Yes, it does get warm in there, but it has not been an issue and I live near Phoenix. I figure, that's how the factory wired it so that must be the best place for it. Good luck.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:55 AM   #3

Thanks for that feedback. That is what I am leaning towards as well. I really only see significant heat from the inverter/charger when it is doing a prolonged bulk charge of the house battery bank. With the solar array in place and its primary mission of keeping that bank of batteries charged, I probably am not going to see the inverter/charger working so hard. Most common when the coach is coming out of storage and the batteries are low.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:51 PM   #4

I have a follow on question concerning the compartment walls. How thick are they and is there any space between compartments. Reason I ask is I need to attach screws in a location that if they go through it would be bad. Can’t get a backer board there so I was just wondering about thickness and potential type of fastener (size). Thanks again for all the help - and patience!
Old 06-11-2021, 03:50 AM   #5

I have a 2021 Verona 36VSB with factory installed solar and the lithium ion battery system. Although my configuration is a bit different than yours, I thought it may be of some value as to where Renegade placed those components. My Victron monitor is in the battery compartment which is the same location as yours. My Jaboni solar controller is in the same compartment as the inverter, however my inverter is on the opposite side of the coach (front compartment). The inverter compartment does get warm especially since it is right next to the catalytic converter. Renegade vented that compartment with an 12v electric fan that is controlled by an attic fan switch. It does get warm in that compartment when travelling on warm days and the fan does cycle on even the most moderate of days. I too wonder if the venting in that compartment is sufficient to protect the inverter from overheat.
grady8288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, solar