Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #1

Special license for class 8

Is a special DL needed for an Explorer or XL class 8 truck?
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2022, 11:57 AM   #2

Those coaches are registered as motorhomes, so most states only require a standard drivers license.

There are quite a few states that require you to upgrade your license, here is a link..
https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/
C Beedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Is a special DL needed for an Explorer or XL class 8 truck?
Florida does not require a special driver's license to operate a vehicle that is registered as an RV, but your insurance company may want one, or at least some specialized driver training before they will cover you. Talk with your friendly local agent to be sure.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 12:11 PM   #4

Campanda accuracy

I just read the article on the Campanda link. Just to comment - it didn't sound accurate - at least with respect to California Class A non commercial:
"California: Class B license required over 26,000 lb or over 40 feet; Class A license required for towing over 10,000 lbs"
I hold a California Class A non commercial - with respect to a fifth wheel...if the trailer is above 15,000 GSVW, you need a Class A non-commercial license.

IMHO - Campanda needs to do an update
Old 07-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyRV779 View Post
I just read the article on the Campanda link. Just to comment - it didn't sound accurate - at least with respect to California Class A non commercial:
"California: Class B license required over 26,000 lb or over 40 feet; Class A license required for towing over 10,000 lbs"
I hold a California Class A non commercial - with respect to a fifth wheel...if the trailer is above 15,000 GSVW, you need a Class A non-commercial license.

IMHO - Campanda needs to do an update
US Department of Transportation (DOT) requires a Class A CDL for towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs GVWR. Most states have adopted DOT rules for their state laws. Don't know why California would have a higher limit.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #6

This question comes up in virtually all Super C forums eventually. The only answer is: research the laws for your specific state because every state has its own requirements.

In Virginia, no special license or endorsement is needed for an RV, even one based on a Class 8 truck, even one that would otherwise meet class A or B standards. It is a little hard to believe sometimes...
Uncle_Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:12 PM   #7

+1 to check your state’s laws. Typically, there are actually two questions: (1) Do you need a CDL (Commercial Driver’s License)? Very unlikely. (2) Do you need an upgraded license due to the gross vehicle weight of the RV, OR the RV + what you plan to tow.

In Texas, I needed to upgrade from a Class C to a Class B to drive my Renegade Valencia, towing my Jeep Wrangler. If I was towing a heavy trailer, I’d actually need a Class A.

Again, check your state’s laws, and also consider whether what you intend to tow affects what class of license you need.
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JetDoc View Post
US Department of Transportation (DOT) requires a Class A CDL for towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs GVWR. Most states have adopted DOT rules for their state laws. Don't know why California would have a higher limit.
I don't believe that is correct. That would only be if you were using in commercially. Not everyone towing a heavy 5th wheel. Some states, like Pa., do require a non commercial Class A to tow a trailer over 10,000 lb.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:59 AM   #9

The Campanda article says this:

Pennsylvania: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; [r]equired for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb

Yet PennDOT's website says this:
  • CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
So according to Campanda, I would require a Class B license if I towed my 3000-pound CR-V behind my 24,000-pound motor home, since the combined weight is over 26,000 pounds. PennDOT's information disagrees with this, though. I shouldn't require any special license since either single vehicle does not exceed 26,000 pounds (class B) and the vehicle being towed doesn't exceed 10,000 pounds (class A).

I guess the moral of the story is to check the official state information; don't rely on a summary of compiled state information.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:17 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
The Campanda article says the same thing for Texas, which is wrong as well. The Penn statutes are almost exactly the same for Class A and B Operator's license in Texas.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The best current source for a Floridia license requirement is go directly to the Floridia DPS website and find the license classes. You cannot believe everything on the internet.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathComp View Post

Pennsylvania: Class B license required for single vehicle over 26,000 lb; [r]equired for multiple vehicles with combined weight over 26,000 lb

• CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
So according to Campanda, I would require a Class B license if I towed my 3000-pound CR-V behind my 24,000-pound motor home, since the combined weight is over 26,000 pounds. PennDOT's information disagrees with this, though. I shouldn't require any special license since either single vehicle does not exceed 26,000 pounds (class B) and the vehicle being towed doesn't exceed 10,000 pounds (class A).

I guess the moral of the story is to check the official state information; don't rely on a summary of compiled state information.
You would not require a Class B since the RV is not over 26K. The combinations are only in play if the trailer is over 10K.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathComp View Post

Be sure to pay attention to the wording, “rated”. If it is rated for 27k, but you only weight 25k, it appears to me that the rating is what counts. This is what the law enforcement can check when they stop you, reading the sticker on the door jamb.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote