Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLV View Post
On our newly purchased 2020 Verona 36VSB we have Bridgestones (295/75R/22.5)in the steerer position with a speed rating of 75MPH...is this the norm ? Just seems to low to me ?
Yep, we are new to this and worry about nearly everything...
Your Verona has a governor that governs the max speed to be less than the speed rating of the tires on the vehicle. It won't go faster than 75 MPH anyway! Except down a steep hill!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #16

Paul,

Thanks for your timely reply and advise. This forum and all its members make owning a MH a more pleasurable experience when you have questions. Happy trails.
Happi Campah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Your Verona has a governor that governs the max speed to be less than the speed rating of the tires on the vehicle. It won't go faster than 75 MPH anyway! Except down a steep hill!

Erroneous information only hurts people and may get them killed.

The governor is set for RPM not tire speed ratings. It is set to prevent over revving the engine.

I can assure you the Verona and most RVs I know of can well exceed the tire rating speed. I have banged up against the governor many times on the flats with my Verona. I have also paid a premium for tires in the past so I can safely exceed the stock tire ratings.

On my Blue Bird Wanderlodge I could cruise all day at 85-90 SAFELY without adjusting the governor. It was the only way to travel through Texas and much of the upper tier

Have you ever noticed the big rigs passing you while you are cruising at 75? Oh, wait a minute, your RV can't go that fast.
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #18

More Speed

Rick, I'm with you. My Renegade Classic feels like its loafing down the interstate at 75 mph. While I'm not always in that much of a hurry, its nice not to be a hinderance on the freeway. I've done plenty of mpg comparisons at different speeds, my Renegade seems to have its best power at 75 mph at an RPM of 1700 with an mpg of over 7. I've actually got lower mileage at 60-65 mph on a comparable road trip. So I say hammer down.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post

The governor is set for RPM not tire speed ratings. It is set to prevent over revving the engine.

I can assure you the Verona and most RVs I know of can well exceed the tire rating speed. I have banged up against the governor many times on the flats with my Verona. I have also paid a premium for tires in the past so I can safely exceed the stock tire ratings.

On my Blue Bird Wanderlodge I could cruise all day at 85-90 SAFELY without adjusting the governor. It was the only way to travel through Texas and much of the upper tier

Have you ever noticed the big rigs passing you while you are cruising at 75? Oh, wait a minute, your RV can't go that fast.

What kind of brakes are you running on that Bluebird? No way the OEM drum brakes were designed to take you from 90 to a dead stop anytime fast. Hate to be the guy in front of you when traffic comes to a sudden stop on the Interstate.

Just because you can go 90 doesn't make it safe to do so.

Yes - truck drivers push the limits every day. And they sometimes die trying and take out other innocent drivers with them.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFed 90-10 View Post
Rick, I'm with you. My Renegade Classic feels like its loafing down the interstate at 75 mph. While I'm not always in that much of a hurry, its nice not to be a hinderance on the freeway. I've done plenty of mpg comparisons at different speeds, my Renegade seems to have its best power at 75 mph at an RPM of 1700 with an mpg of over 7. I've actually got lower mileage at 60-65 mph on a comparable road trip. So I say hammer down.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post

Well said. Most Interstates are 75 mph. Staying close to the flow of traffic is the most important thing for safety. If you are passing to many people you are going to fast. If to many people are passing you you are going to slow. And are "that" guy which we see all to often. :( Some will even risk safety by going to slow to "save fuel" How stupid is that ?
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Well said. Most Interstates are 75 mph. Staying close to the flow of traffic is the most important thing for safety. If you are passing to many people you are going to fast. If to many people are passing you you are going to slow. And are "that" guy which we see all to often. :( Some will even risk safety by going to slow to "save fuel" How stupid is that ?
Actually, no.

Where are the stats that show a heavy vehicle needs to drive close to the flow of traffic to stay safe? Where are the stats which show a motor home is more dangerous traveling at 65 or 70 than it is at speeds in excess of 80mph as Ziggy is talking about?

In the training I completed this spring for a major trucking company, we were taught the opposite. A heavy vehicle cannot maneuver or brake nearly as well as a car. Trying to keep up with traffic is a sure way to get into a dangerous situation in a heavy vehicle.

Extra distance needs to be kept in front of a heavy vehicle like a motor home, and speed needs to be kept within the ability of the vehicle to stop and maneuver on the road.

There's a good reason many company trucks have a governor set at 65 mph, and it's not just fuel economy. Safety is the big reason speed is governed. We drivers received weekly accident reports for the entire company, and I never saw one which listed the reason for the accident as "going too slow". Just didn't happen that way.

To me, saying it's safer to keep up with traffic when the speed is above the safe limits for a vehicle is just an excuse to do what you want and drive fast.

It will be difficult to make an argument to support the safety of driving any motor home on the roads at speeds of 85-90 mph. Just because a driver is able to do this without an accident yet doesn't mean that it's safe to do it.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #23

Tire Speed Ratings Verona 36VSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Actually, no.

Where are the stats that show a heavy vehicle needs to drive close to the flow of traffic to stay safe? Where are the stats which show a motor home is more dangerous traveling at 65 or 70 than it is at speeds in excess of 80mph as Ziggy is talking about?

In the training I completed this spring for a major trucking company, we were taught the opposite. A heavy vehicle cannot maneuver or brake nearly as well as a car. Trying to keep up with traffic is a sure way to get into a dangerous situation in a heavy vehicle.

Extra distance needs to be kept in front of a heavy vehicle like a motor home, and speed needs to be kept within the ability of the vehicle to stop and maneuver on the road.

There's a good reason many company trucks have a governor set at 65 mph, and it's not just fuel economy. Safety is the big reason speed is governed. We drivers received weekly accident reports for the entire company, and I never saw one which listed the reason for the accident as "going too slow". Just didn't happen that way.

To me, saying it's safer to keep up with traffic when the speed is above the safe limits for a vehicle is just an excuse to do what you want and drive fast.

It will be difficult to make an argument to support the safety of driving any motor home on the roads at speeds of 85-90 mph. Just because a driver is able to do this without an accident yet doesn't mean that it's safe to do it.

Unless you’ve driven interstate 10 west of Ozona Tx you wouldn’t understand why someone would want to run 80-85 mph in a motorhome. Not that I would run 85. But it’s hundreds of miles of the most desolate stretch of highway you can imagine with an 80mph speed limit. At 65 mph you risk falling asleep. Lol
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #24

Hope they stay there....or be ready for tickets out here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Unless you’ve driven interstate 10 west of Ozona Tx you wouldn’t understand why someone would want to run 80-85 mph in a motorhome. Not that I would run 85. But it’s hundreds of miles of the most desolate stretch of highway you can imagine with an 80mph speed limit. At 65 mph you risk falling asleep. Lol
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Well said... Under the RIGHT conditions there is nothing wrong with driving the speed limit. Some people just need to get out more
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Well said... Under the RIGHT conditions there is nothing wrong with driving the speed limit. Some people just need to get out more

Let's not be insulting - you have no idea where I (or anyone) has or hasn't driven.

Truck drivers go through those long stretches of highway, and a good many of them have speeds capped at 65mph. I don't remember reading about a rash of accidents caused by them going too slowly - that's because that's not how it worked. If it was truly a safety issue, then companies wouldn't be doing it.

The fact is, motor homes are not intended for going 85-90mph down the road. Doesn't matter how desolate the road, how straight the road, or what all the other drivers are doing.

Each driver is responsible for driving his/her vehicle within the safe limits of ALL the systems on the vehicle. It would be a very rare motor home that can safely make emergency maneuvers or come to a quick stop from that speed. Very few have tires safe for going that speed, especially in the southwest where temps are higher.

Is it more boring to go 65mph through stretches of road like that? Possibly. Get a good book on tape and enjoy the scenery. To me boredom is not a good excuse for going faster than safety permits. All the excuses about why someone "needs" to go faster won't change the fact that increased speed brings increased danger. If it were just you on the road it would be one thing, but last I looked we all share the same roads.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
If it were just you on the road it would be one thing, but last I looked we all share the same roads.

You obviously have missed the fact that in some places it is indeed “just you on the road”.

If you feel safer going slower that’s great and perfect for you. But some of us are perfectly safe at higher speeds. 75mph rated tires are not going to burst into flames at 76mph.
My daily driver is a truck with almost identical weight, brakes and tires my rv has and with 30+ years of experience driving said vehicles, I know my limitations and my vehicles limitations. 80- 85mph is perfectly safe and acceptable in certain places at certain times otherwise the posted speed limits would be adjusted accordingly. Yes we do have 85mph speed limits in Texas.

As my age increases and my reflexes decrease I will adjust my speeds accordingly. As should everyone.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:32 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The tires are rated to go indefinitely at 75 mph fully loaded. Should never be a problem
I have exceeded 90 mph towing a Honda Ody on 10 going into Quartzsite going up a slight grade for over 10 miles with no trouble.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote