Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 05:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
You obviously have missed the fact that in some places it is indeed “just you on the road”...

I didn't miss where that was written.

It's just that no matter how empty you think the roads are, there is always something around the next bend, something over the next gentle rise in the pavement, or some animal darting across the road.

A motor home traveling at 85-90 mph is going faster than the brakes can safely bring it to a stop. Period.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 08:23 AM   #30

Quote:
You obviously have missed the fact that in some places it is indeed “just you on the road”.

If you feel safer going slower that’s great and perfect for you. But some of us are perfectly safe at higher speeds. 75mph rated tires are not going to burst into flames at 76mph.
My daily driver is a truck with almost identical weight, brakes and tires my rv has and with 30+ years of experience driving said vehicles, I know my limitations and my vehicles limitations. 80- 85mph is perfectly safe and acceptable in certain places at certain times otherwise the posted speed limits would be adjusted accordingly. Yes we do have 85mph speed limits in Texas.

As my age increases and my reflexes decrease I will adjust my speeds accordingly. As should everyone.
You obviously are Highly experienced as i am and as well traveled. (35+ years) with said vehicles. I agree and understand exactly what you are talking about. Its hard for some people to understand this. I have personally seen accidents where people are impeding the flow of traffic. Are there statistics for that ? Of course not. Even through they caused the accident they weren't involved in it. There are 'book' smarts and real world 'street' smarts. I will take real world street smarts every time. P.S. I always enjoyed driving through Texas
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
You obviously are Highly experienced as i am and as well traveled. (35+ years) with said vehicles. I agree and understand exactly what you are talking about. Its hard for some people to understand this. I have personally seen accidents where people are impeding the flow of traffic. Are there statistics for that ? Of course not. Even through they caused the accident they weren't involved in it. There are 'book' smarts and real world 'street' smarts. I will take real world street smarts every time. P.S. I always enjoyed driving through Texas
The reason you can't find statistics for this it's because the number of times a slower vehicle causes an accident like you're describing is rare. I'm not saying that a VERY slow driver can't be dangerous - we've all seen that. But, a driver going 65 on the Interstate, even one with an 85mph speed limit, is not going VERY slow. Usually when those types of things happen it a guy with a mattress on his roof traveling 40mph down the freeway, not a very large vehicle doing 65.

And, if someone does rear ends a large vehicle doing 65mph on the freeway, it's 100% the fault of the driver that rear-ended him, not the guy going 65.

I've driven those same roads and there are always vehicles that don't go the limit. You're not going to convince me that everyone goes at or near the limit, because it's just not true. With nationwide trucking fleets governed to run at 65, and with many vehicles on the road not capable of sustained highway speeds of 85, it's just not going to happen.

There's also no way you'll convince me that it's as safe to run a motor home at 85mph as 65 mph. It's not, and I don't care how good or safe a driver you are. Things happen all the time that are beyond the control of the driver, and I'd hate to be on the road near a motor home traveling at 85 when they do.

If your 'real world' street smarts are true, there should be lots of studies from states like Texas showing how the fleets of trucks going 65 on the Interstate are a danger. There should also be lots of calls for fleets to stay off the Interstates or raise their governed speeds.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #32

Tire Speed Ratings Verona 36VSB

Well how about we just all go back to 55 mph... I think we have to agree that’s a safer speed than 65.

Unfortunately we got way off the topic which is, Are truck tires safe past their speed rating? And answer is yes.

We all know that there are people driving motorhomes that should not be driving a car, so me endorsing them running 80 mph in an rv would be ludicrous. Everyone should drive at their most comfortable speed without putting other lives in danger. And there will always be differences of opinion on what that speed is.

Fortunately the lawmakers in Texas are pretty logical with the speed limits. The opposite of that would be in New Mexico where you can be on a great flat straight road in the middle of nowhere that’s not an interstate that has a posted speed limit of 55 mph and it’s 100 miles of road disappearing on the horizon. And with a CDL I have to stay below 10 over so I don’t risk getting a ticket. Aggravating as heck when the locals are flying past you at 80.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
The reason you can't find statistics for this it's because the number of times a slower vehicle causes an accident like you're describing is rare. I'm not saying that a VERY slow driver can't be dangerous - we've all seen that. But, a driver going 65 on the Interstate, even one with an 85mph speed limit, is not going VERY slow. Usually when those types of things happen it a guy with a mattress on his roof traveling 40mph down the freeway, not a very large vehicle doing 65.

And, if someone does rear ends a large vehicle doing 65mph on the freeway, it's 100% the fault of the driver that rear-ended him, not the guy going 65.

I've driven those same roads and there are always vehicles that don't go the limit. You're not going to convince me that everyone goes at or near the limit, because it's just not true. With nationwide trucking fleets governed to run at 65, and with many vehicles on the road not capable of sustained highway speeds of 85, it's just not going to happen.

There's also no way you'll convince me that it's as safe to run a motor home at 85mph as 65 mph. It's not, and I don't care how good or safe a driver you are. Things happen all the time that are beyond the control of the driver, and I'd hate to be on the road near a motor home traveling at 85 when they do.

If your 'real world' street smarts are true, there should be lots of studies from states like Texas showing how the fleets of trucks going 65 on the Interstate are a danger. There should also be lots of calls for fleets to stay off the Interstates or raise their governed speeds.
I'm with Richard. My speed on the open highway is 62 mph. I get there with less fuel consumption, fewer $$ spent and a pleasant trip. A deer, cow, other large animal will destroy the front end of a motorhome. Stopping distance is extremely important, especially in a heavy unit. Swerving at high speed can result in "bad news". Swerving and attempting a panic stop at even higher speeds will result in "worse news". However, if you want to run 75-85-90, go for it. I'll be in the right-hand lane, out of your way.
I've been a cop for 43 years; so many accident investigations that I can't count all of them. "Speed kills" is a meaningful slogan. Most of these accidents would not have happened, or not been as serious, if high speed was not a factor.
Just MHO, with some first-hand experience.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Well how about we just all go back to 55 mph... I think we have to agree that’s a safer speed than 65.

Unfortunately we got way off the topic which is, Are truck tires safe past their speed rating? And answer is yes....
From where do you get this? Seems like a bold statement without something to support it.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrs View Post
I'm with Richard. My speed on the open highway is 62 mph. I get there with less fuel consumption, fewer $$ spent and a pleasant trip. A deer, cow, other large animal will destroy the front end of a motorhome. Stopping distance is extremely important, especially in a heavy unit. Swerving at high speed can result in "bad news". Swerving and attempting a panic stop at even higher speeds will result in "worse news". However, if you want to run 75-85-90, go for it. I'll be in the right-hand lane, out of your way.
I've been a cop for 43 years; so many accident investigations that I can't count all of them. "Speed kills" is a meaningful slogan. Most of these accidents would not have happened, or not been as serious, if high speed was not a factor.
Just MHO, with some first-hand experience.

Ray

First off Ray I want to thank you for your service.

As soon as you throw panic and swerving in the equation there’s likely to be a wreck. A good experienced driver should have the confidence and skills to not panic and not overreact and not over correct. Unfortunately the majority of drivers do not have those instincts.

I have hit a deer that came from no where running 75 mph with the cruise on and not flinched or swerved even slightly. My wife even commented on it. Same with blowouts on smaller vehicles.
All those Ford explorer rollovers that we read about were caused from panic and overreaction and over correction. And the deaths were because of people not wearing their seatbelts.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #36

Tire Speed Ratings Verona 36VSB

Quote:
From where do you get this? Seems like a bold statement without something to support it.

I get this by using common logic. Anything that’s safety related has a rating whether it’s load bearing or temperature or speed or pressure or… The rating they choose to put on a product is always a percentage comfortably below the actual observed failure plateau. And the further below that plateau that rating is stated on a product the happier the lawyers are.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #37

Quote:
I get this by using common logic. Anything that’s safety related has a rating whether it’s load bearing or temperature or speed or pressure or… The rating they choose to put on a product is always a percentage comfortably below the actual observed failure plateau. And the further below that plateau that rating is stated on a product the happier the lawyers are.
Which begs the question... On a tire carrying a speed rating of 75mph, exactly where is the actual observed failure plateau, as you call it?

Are you lucky and driving on tires which were under rated and actually good till 90mph? Or, are you unlucky and driving on tires which barely squeaked by when given a rating of 75mph? Seems like something you'd want to know and which common logic would say is imperative when deciding how fast is safe.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Which begs the question... On a tire carrying a speed rating of 75mph, exactly where is the actual observed failure plateau, as you call it?

Are you lucky and driving on tires which were under rated and actually good till 90mph? Or, are you unlucky and driving on tires which barely squeaked by when given a rating of 75mph? Seems like something you'd want to know and which common logic would say is imperative when deciding how fast is safe.

Lol touché I’m out.