Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #1

Valencia 35MB

I've seen reference to a new for 2020 Valencia 35MB. Can anyone tell me where to find more information? I've searched and managed to find a floor plan, but haven't seen anything about the chassis. I can't imagine they would put it on the F-550 or they'd be competing against their own Veracruz. Does anyone know if it will be on the Freightliner chassis? TIA.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2019, 08:24 AM   #2

Looks like they will be Freightliner.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #3

Yup, All the Valencia rigs are on the same Freightliner chassis. I do not think they have many in production. We did the factory tour last month and Harley said none were in process at that time.
J W Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:57 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I'll be following this. Hopefully Renegade won't take too long to tell us more about this unit.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #5

When Renegade first introduced the new Valencia model a few years ago they did mention plans for a shorter version in the future. Since then I saw nothing until last month when I visited IWS in Mountain Home, ID and was shown the floor plan for the 35MB. They had nothing else. I'm sure you've noticed nothing is listed about it on the Renegade website. Looking at the floor plan it looks very similar in dimensions to the Verona 36VSB, with a couple of notable exceptions. To make it a mid-entry they essentially flipped the placement of the door and refrigerator, along with reversing positions of the sink and stove. Second, they've narrowed the bed 6", calling it a mini-king. I am assuming Renegade will use the same S2RV Freightliner, probably shortening the wheelbase slightly, just as they kept their new shorter Verona 34VQB on Verona's M2 chassis. But I have not seen anything else about it. I am also interested in something a little shorter than the 38' models they currently have.
M. Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:28 PM   #6

2020 Valencia 35MB is up on the Renegade website.

The floorplan looks nice to me. Nothing drastic which is probably a good thing. I like that no plumbing or appliances are on the slides. And I also like the 3-pocket-door bathroom setup. Very practical.

The only construction-related difference that I see is a wheelbase reduction to 247" from 279" on the longer models. That also reduces the wheelbase to overall length ratio from 61% on the 38' models to 58% on the 35MB.

They also added a 38RB (rear bath) floorplan. Cool.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #7

Rumline, thanks for the update!
Just looked at Renegade's site and glad to see the new models are official. Looks like all the holding tanks on the 35MB are exactly the same as on the longer models. A bit disappointing about the (expected) shorter wheelbase though. Also noticed you can order 2-175W solar panels and the controller through the factory. Good for boondockers but doubt that one 8D AGM battery will keep the res refrigerator running very long. Can't wait to see one in person.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #8

Yeah the solar panel option is nice. I like that it's not something piddly like one or two 100w panels. Agreed on the 8D battery. At least they have a Dometic RV fridge available as an option but I think you'd have to special order it since I've never seen a Valencia listed for sale with an RV fridge.

Anybody know the dimensions of the space available inside the Valencia battery compartment if you were to remove the 8D? In photos it looks like there's a lot of room vertically so maybe some tall batteries would fit, like maybe some group 903 6V golf cart batteries (11.5"L x 7"W x 16.5"H). Four of those (if they'd fit) would give 700-800AH capacity at 12V for $1400 - $1800. 400AH of Lithium (similar usable capacity) is still around $4000 plus you'd also need to upgrade the charger (most likely)
Old 07-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #9

While I don't know the actual compartment dimensions, I did peak at the compartment in the Valencia 38RW and can tell you besides the truck batteries and the one 8D there would not be room for another 8D in that compartment. I keep on reading that lithium is the way to go if one can think long term and bite the bullet on the initial outlay.
Going back and forth on residential vs. propane fridge. RVers who have made the switch to res generally swear by them, but those are mostly folks either hooked up to 50 amp 24/7 or don't mind their generator coming on at least twice a day. Personally I've had no issues (other than cleaning out the flue) in 11 years with my dometic and love the off grid flexibility. It is about a $1,500 option on the Valencias (more than twice as much for the full propane package on the Veronas that are now all electric, I believe).
Old 10-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #10

Shipping?

Does anyone know if 35MBs are leaving the factory yet? This size is a sweet spot for me and I’d love to check one out in person.
Mmontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #11

A quick note, we purchased a 2019 Valencia Rear Wardrobe this spring (from IWS) Great experience, love the Rig So far have 6000 miles on it over about 7-8 trips throughout Utah (our base), Wyoming (Yellowstone), Colorado, Nevada and recently visiting Seqouia NP and doing a big loop from SLC though Vegas over to Sequoia and returing back through Reno. I need to writeup our overall comments, pros and con, but overall we love the unit. The S2RV chassis handles great on highways and state roads, the engine holds its own on the steepest grades (never falling below 55 and passing all othe trucks). There is little we'd change, but do like the new shorter floorplan... the smaller the better. The unit is really well made and very comfortable.

Regarding batteries, the biggest disapointment we've had is the energy storage (aka batteries). A single Fe 8D is simply not enough storage. Period. I have lots of gripes but it charges slowly, can drain to empty to easily -damaging the battery - and is very heavy for the power it provides. We replaced it with 3 Battleborn 100aH lithiums and it's a game changer. We can now run everything we like - microwave, res fridge, Instapot, TV, etc and charge it only once a day via the generator or via the alternator on a travel day. We did upgrade the panel on the Magnum inverter and added a Magnum SOC Battery Monitor (which doesnt work well with lithium). Also replaced the isloater with the Progressive Lithium version. I was assuming I'd want 6 100aH batteries but so far 3 seems to be sufficent and thats without using any solar (yet). FYI, 3 LI's fit easily in the space where the single 8D Fe battery sat... they are exactly 3/8" longer when 3 abreast so the tray the 8D was in had to be removed (or I could have cut).

So short observation is a single, even 2, 8D Fe batteries is not enough for disconnected / boondocking. 3 lithiums seems enough, more would be better. Other advantages of lithium is they charge MUCH faster, can discharge to near zero, last thousands of cycles and are lighter. They also protect themselves (via BMS) from over/under charge which really hurt us with the 1 8D.

The only issue I'm having is the lithiums absorb so much power so easily it can overheat the charger/inverter. The solution is to throttle back the charge rate from default 100% to 30-40%... which seems to solve the overheating problem. A better solution is better venting and ideally passive heatsinks to manage the heat generating from pushing upwards of 8k watts power from the Onan into the batteries... I'm noodling on how to reengineer the inverter bay with better ventalation and heat dissapation.

Hope that helps.

As a side note, the solar option is a good add, but IMO sadly too little... it really needs higher gauge wiring and plans for upwards of 1200 to 1800 watts of solar. Panels are getting so cheap and there is room for nearly 2000 watts of solar power gen from the roof... but as wired from factory no easy way to wire that down to the inverter compartment (and the venting / heat issues remain).
rheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #12

Thank you for your detailed post; I really appreciate it, especially your experiences regarding driving performance.

Since my previous post on the battery issues I have come to appreciate the additional benefits of lithium batteries which you illustrated so nicely. Speed of charging is an underrated benefit IMO, since who wants to run their generator for hours and hours per day.

Regarding solar, I would offer that if you up the overall panel system voltage to 36V (panels in series and parallel) and use an MPPT controller you can get away with much smaller (read: stock) wiring. Now if you were running 2kw of solar that probably won't work but for a modest 300-500w system it'd be OK. I have 300w of solar on my travel trailer and that is more than enough to sustain batteries for days of boondocking with no generator at all. We use the TV, electric griddle, microwave, computers, etc. But we don't have a residential fridge. Anyway it depends on your power usage and goals with the solar system...e.g., reduce vs eliminate generator use.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #13

Glad it helps.... expanding on driving, I really like the compromise of the S2RV chassis ride over the heavier/harder M2 chassis from which it's derived and the less capable suspensions of the F450 style suspension. We've driven a range of them and really felt, and our experience is bearing out, the S2RV is a great midpoint for under 10k towing needs.
Our first love was the Veronna but after spending time going careful over both I am very glad I got the Valencia and S2RV chassis. The Verona is amazing too... just a bit more than we need and the softer, yet still firm, ride of the S2 is my sweet spot.

Granted if you need/want to tow 10k+ the M2, or greater, and the bigger engine options, are highly desirable... but for a 35-37' coach towing a toad the S2RV and Cummins / Allison combo in the Valencia is excellent balance (we tow a Cherokee Trailhawk and can't tell its even there... literally).

Note, good point on voltage for solar. Indeed higher volatage directly lowers amperage demands (good ol Oms Law). The offset though is you need then to run panels in series boosting voltage which I'm watching where we stay and as often as not some part of the roof is shaded... with a series run string of solar ANY shading kills the output of the string... so parallel is much better for shading situations. The other options, I'm thinking about, is panel level microinverters, converting to 120 at the panel... but that then is an issue converting back to 12/24/36v for the storage. Always compromises -) Where I'm at I'm thnking just keeping at panel level volatages, in parallel, running heav(ier) gauge wiring somewhere down into the coach. Given the issue with poor ventalation (actually no ventallation) in the inverter box I'm seriously thinking of moving the batteries, charger(s), inverter to perhaps the rear closet where I can then vent the heat outside easier and keep the batteries above freezing year-round effortlessly.

As a suggestion for manufacturers, moving to lithium is inevitable and highly desirable, but needs some redesigning for how it's been done. With the much greater power comes much greater ventalation/cooling needs as well as some better planning for cabeling needs between subystems. Sadly doing it retro is more challenging...
rheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #14

rheil,
Thanks for that excellent review of the Valencia and the relatively new S2RV chassis. I also appreciated all your comments on energy requirements. Taking the time to write up your actual experience is very helpful to would be buyers like myself. I believe I actually did a walk through of your unit back in May at IWS while doing my research. Lucky you! It looked to be one fine rig. Once renegade starts shipping the 35MB to dealers it will be interesting to see if the loss of the rear wardrobe, a 6" narrower bed, and slightly smaller kitchen counter with no pull out pantry is worth the shorter overall length.