Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2022, 01:29 PM   #1

Verona CB power supply? Does anyone know?

Ooops! Accidently posted this to the wrong thread the first time.

Of all things, installing a CB into a 2021 Verona should not be that difficult, right? I have read many threads about antenna issues, but in my case that is not the problem. I had a local CB shop tune the CB and all was working great. In my effort to locate a couple of rattles in the front cap, I removed the CB and the two plastic compartments (one on driver side and one on passenger side).
Good news I found and fixed the rattle. Bad news is when I reinstalled the CB, I no longer have power to the unit. I checked inline fuse and even hooked CB directly to 12-volt battery and the unit works fine.

The original power cord installed by Renegade/ Freightliner is dead as a hammer. I have since used a test light to check every fuse I can find under the hood as well as in the house. Have not found a single fuse blown.

I tried to trace the wires back to the source, but first attempts to do so have not been successful. Second step is to call Renegade Monday for guidance. In the meantime, does anyone know where those wires tie to a fuse source????

If all else fails, I guess I can run new wires, but would rather avoid that.

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
Wayne

2021 Verona VRB
trailerbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2023, 03:24 PM   #2

Wayne
How did you get the power to work? I have two plugs but both are dead.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:50 PM   #3
YC1

Find a good ground for your test light. Not the one that is grounding the CB.

Then test the power lead. IF it lights up brightly you have lost your ground for the radio.

It it does not light up. I would still use an ohmeter to test the ground lead because a bad ground would indicate the power cable is broken at the same place. That is, both the power and ground are "open".

It may take two people and some tugging to chase the wire. You could use a fox and hound to chase the wire.

Is the CB controlled by the ignition switch?

I just had a porch light that had a bad power source that ran through a relay. Not only was the porch light bulb bad, the relay was bad too. For some reason this is not out of the ordinary. I have found more than one problem contributing to issues hundreds of times. Maybe thousands.

If you cannot find a good ground for your test light or meter, grab an extension cord and plug it into an outlet. Then use the ground hole for your meter. The round one of course, not either of the slits. Ouch.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewskiRanch View Post
Wayne
How did you get the power to work? I have two plugs, but both are dead.
On my unit I finally found the problem. I threw away my test light and pulled every fuse in the box on drivers' side under the hood. Finally found the blown fuse and replaced it. All good since then. I think I made a note of which fuse it was but will have to go back and check my logbook tomorrow.

Good luck,
Wayne
2021 Verona VRB
trailerbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:31 PM   #5

Ok got power. I was thinking it was the black and brown wires with the plug on the ends, wrong! The power is the two yellow wires in the gray plastic wrap, one is ground and one is power. Power is on all the time. Not sure what the black and brown wires are for, but there is 4 sets of them, speakers?
Old 01-13-2023, 07:18 AM   #6
YC1

Check for voltage on those wires of course. Some meters have enough power to "pop" the speakers, that is make a small safe noise without damage, when you put it in the low range ohmmeter position.

A 1.5 volt battery can do the same trick.

Or just measure the OHMS of the wires after checking for voltage. You might see 4-16 ohms across a speaker.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power