Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Verona LE entry door

Thank goodness I had mistakenly left my driver's door unlocked, or this would be worse of a story than it already is....

Walked out the door and down the steps and closed the door behind me, as I've done so many times and thought nothing of it. Let me add that, since we've been here in the resort in Fort Myers, I've not locked the coach door once.

Came back to the coach a little while later and grabbed the door handle and when I pulled it, nothing happened. Didn't feel like anything was "catching" behind the handle at all. After recovering from that instant "sinking" feeling, I went around and first tried the passenger door and then the driver's door. To my excited surprise, the driver's door was in fact unlocked. Whew!!!

The problem seems to be that I can only get to one of the screws that look like they hold the "guts" of the handle on from the inside.

Wish me luck!!

Has anyone else had this issue? What was your remedy?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 06:58 AM   #2

I have a key zip tied in a hidden area underneath.
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #3

Shortly after getting the Verona the keypad quit. Just used the key for about 10 months when the lock totally locked up. It wouldn’t move at all. Luckily it was open. Had to replace the lock (Dexter Door]. The keypad for the new one has not worked since day one. Not sure how you could remove the lockset when the door is closed.....good luck.
You need to remove 6 screws to remove the lockset. 2 of the screws are on the edge of the door and only accessable when the door is open.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

I found a spot to attach a MasterLock lockbox that is easily accessible and concealed. I keep a full set of keys in it. It has been very useful on multiple occasions. https://www.masterlock.com/personal-use/product/5400D
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Having or not having the key is not the issue... The door handles simply flap back and forth, as if there's nothing connected to them. Seems to me that the clip or whatever attaches the mechanism to the actual handle has come loose. In the daylight, I am able to see that it looks like the interior lock comes apart with two screws, but since I have a call into the local mobile tech and it's really not an emergency, I'll let them mess with it.

I do think that I'll now zip tie an M2 chassis door key somewhere outside, just in case both doors are locked and this happens again.

Interesting aside.... Scott Graham is a well known mobile tech in the Fort Myers area. He was a long time service tech and then service manager at North Trail who decided to go out on his own several years ago. Several people in the park here have used him and speak highly of him.
Several months ago I was out in the park at a neighbors when he pulled up and to my amazement, he recognized me as a former Newmar owner and North Trail customer.... Too funny.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjam View Post
You need to remove 6 screws to remove the lockset. 2 of the screws are on the edge of the door and only accessable when the door is open.
Finally decided to remove the three screws on the inside of the door and remove the handle and take a look. It was easy to see the issue, as a "piece" of the handle set was laying loose in the bottom and there were two "rough" or distressed pieces of metal where it came loose.
Didn't dare operate the mechanism and open the door, as I didn't have a plan on what to do if the door doesn't close back
I did ride over to North Trail and after talking to the parts guys and then the service techs, I agreed that it'd be better to let them deal with it under warranty.
They'll call Woody at Renegade and get the new handle set here in town and I'll take the coach over on the 15th and let them do the repair....

The other factor in agreeing to let them do the work is that I still need to have them address the CareLess awning.....

I'm stuck I'm Fort Myers to begin with, as I'm overseeing the remodel on our RV lot in Cypress Woods, so I'll be here anyway.

Stay tuned.....
Old 05-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Too funny.... My Dad would be proud..... read along with me.

As I am still in Florida, on Monday I had called over to North Trail and made an appointment for the 15th to have the awning and the broken entry door lock looked at. When I made the appointment, I had taken pictures of the inside of lock assembly where one could easily see the broken piece(s) and I provided them by email to the service writer.

So, after dealing with climbing in and out of the front passenger door to gain entry every time I want in or out of the coach, I decided to call North Trail and make certain they had contacted Woody and had a lock/handle set on the way.
This would allow them to fix the issue in one day and prevent me from having to stay in a hotel overnight.
Can't say that I am surprised, but good ole Woody balked on approving to send a handle/lock set, even with the pictures, until a tech looked at the door in person.

Fast forward to today...... As I had already taken the INSIDE piece off in order to reveal the part numbers on both the inside and outside pieces, I googled Trimark and after finding their website, I gave them a call.
I spoke with a VERY NICE AND HELPFUL lady who cross referenced what I gave her and she was able to tell me that the outside piece now has a STEEL plunger, where mine had apparently broken off....
Not caring about dealing with Woody or North Trail and only wanting to get my door fixed SOONER than LATER, I ordered the parts and they'll be here in three to four days.
I'll make an attempt to get Renegade/ North Trail to reimburse me for at least part of my purchase, but as long as Renegade fixes that dang Care "less" awning one more time, I'll move on....
Old 05-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #8

could you post the pic of the plunger part ?

I'm thinking if I take mine apart from the inside I can see if my plunger is steel or ????

I don't wanna have my door stop working if I can help it

Thanks
Bruce
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybubba View Post
could you post the pic of the plunger part ?

I'm thinking if I take mine apart from the inside I can see if my plunger is steel or ????

I don't wanna have my door stop working if I can help it

Thanks
Bruce
I think the lockset on the LE is different from the straight Verona. When mine locked up totally I took it apart. There are warnings on every screw that removing a screw will void the warranty. I think yours is past the one year warrany though.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjam View Post
I think the lockset on the LE is different from the straight Verona. When mine locked up totally I took it apart. There are warnings on every screw that removing a screw will void the warranty. I think yours is past the one year warrany though.
It is indeed out of warranty now by a couple of months.

Thanks for the info, I always try to have the front door keys on me but I will have to make double sure now.
DW loves the keyless and I always worry if I don't have real keys in my pocket.
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #11

Yes....I carry keys too, but like I said, the keypad on mine doesnít work.

Tags
door, entry door