Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #1

Verona LE Fresh Water Sensors

Trying to troubleshoot why the Firefly fresh water tank gauge has stopped working.

I would appreciate it if someone could look at their fresh water tank's sensor wires and tell me the color wires for the top, mid, and bottom.

Mine came with red on top, green in the middle and yellow on bottom. Firefly says they should red on top, yellow in the middle and green on bottom.

Did the switching and display read empty. Put them back and still empty.

I filled the tank and watched the water level go up to next sensor and no changes.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

Got this test from Firefly a few minutes ago.

KIB Harness
  • Each Probe has a specific value. Jumping between ground and any specific probe will render that probe value on the screen.
  • If the Probes are on the tank in the wrong order the Screen will show the highest value that is covered. (e.g. If the probe at the 1/3 level of the tank is the 100% probe the screen will show 100% once the liquid level has reached that first probe.)
Old 04-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #3

This thing has a mind of its own.
  • Fresh water tank is 2/3 full visually and on gauge. Open dump valves for black and gray water and fresh gauge goes to empty?
  • Reboot Firefly via coach 12v switch when gauge shows empty and correct amount appears (2/3) and in a few minutes goes back to empty?
  • Fill tank and watch gauge go up to full and then 12 hours later shows empty with no water use?
Something is screwed up here and I don't think it is a loose wire or an incorrect wire order. Everyone who has answered my first post has same hook up order as I do.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonLC View Post
This thing has a mind of its own.
  • Fresh water tank is 2/3 full visually and on gauge. Open dump valves for black and gray water and fresh gauge goes to empty?
  • Reboot Firefly via coach 12v switch when gauge shows empty and correct amount appears (2/3) and in a few minutes goes back to empty?
  • Fill tank and watch gauge go up to full and then 12 hours later shows empty with no water use?
Something is screwed up here and I don't think it is a loose wire or an incorrect wire order. Everyone who has answered my first post has same hook up order as I do.
Got to be frustrating. Try putting in a call or email to Firefly and see what they advise.
tdeperte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeperte View Post
Got to be frustrating. Try putting in a call or email to Firefly and see what they advise.
Please see post #2. I also sent them a follow up with the the voodoo part about it changing on its own.

Frankly it took a while to get anything out of Firelfy except some fairly invasive wire probing that I won't do. I keep submitting new information so hopefully someone will get a grip on this. Woody is closely monitoring.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #6

Update:
Found out that there is a 4th wire...white...at the very bottom left side of the tank. The ground wire. I have isolated the problem to that probe. Firefly was only concerned that Renegade had mixed up the other three wires and never mentioned a white one. When I was testing the wires I noticed that if I pressed on the white wire the fresh tank level gauge would register the correct amount, 2/3...for a few minutes... then go back to empty. The connection looked good but I replaced the connector with a new one anyway and really tightened the square head screw. It worked for over 24 hours and then the gauge went to empty when I dumped the black and grey tank. I again pressed the probe with my finger and it worked for a few minutes before going to empty. So, I would guess the probe is bad. In regards to the black and grey tanks interacting with the fresh water tank, there is one common circuit...G6...in the Firefly system which I am going to guess is being affected by the bad ground on the white probe. Bad grounds are notorious for causing weird things to happen to other things that share a common connection somewhere in the circuit. I've seen it in several boats and one car where the turn signal stick would activate the windshield wipers
Old 04-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #7

All night after dumping all the gauges read empty.

This morning when my wife was running water the grey tank had enough to read 1/3. When it did the fresh water went from empty to 2/3 which is correct.

They are talking to each other and are not supposed to do that. May have what is called a Ground Loop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firefly.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	244062  
Old 08-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #8

RonLC:

I know this is an old thread, but...

I am relatively new to the forum and came across this post while researching an issue I am having with my recently purchased a 2018 Verona LE 40LRB.

On the first trip the water level sensors worked fine. Prior to the second trip I topped off the fresh water, so it was 100 percent full. I know this because water came out the overflow. Both black and gray tanks were empty.

The issue is after topping off the fresh water it was reading 0. I drove about 3.5 hour to the campground and after being parked for about 1 hour the fresh water read 33, then returned to zero at some point during the day. I checked the levels first thing in the morning and the fresh water read 67%. It never read more than 67%. Since we were only camping for three days I didn't worry about it as I knew water would not be an issue.

I am not really sure if my issues are impacting the black and gray as the trip was short enough neither tank got much use.

I have reached out to the dealer I purchased the coach from and they mentioned the issue might be a diode pack. I have no idea what that is or where it might be. Emails and voicemails to Renegade regarding this issue have gone without response.

In your thread you seemed to have isolated the issue to a faulty ground. I am wondering if you were able to finally fix your issue and if so what was the fix.

I looked at your profile but did not see what coach you have.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:14 PM   #9

Had the same problem with 2/3 full as lot of other people have said.
I got a same stained color heat vent from Renegade.
Cut hole in under front of bed where where drain valve handle is located.
Hold vent in place with 4 magnets.

Now matches and looks good, see exactly how much water I have in tank,
and now I can drain tank easy without raising bed. Works good for me!
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraig View Post
Hold vent in place with 4 magnets.
I did install a door in front of the drain valve to gain easy access to it, but what's this about 4 magnets?
MagnaTudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #11

Same problem from the get go with my tank levels as well - seems as if the sensors and how Firefly interprets the tank levels is broke. All my wiring is correct and tight. Mine works sometime and sometimes don’t, however it seems as if it’s mostly 33% or full regardless of level. Lifting the bed to confirm levels is tough, gonna look into a inspection door as you guys suggested. I don’t like carrying 150 gal of water (1200 pounds) if I’m only going to be using water for one night.

Thanks guys - Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #12

I also put a door in to access the drain valve under the bed. Sure a lot easier to drain and or double check water level without having to lift the bed. I did this about 2 days after I got the coach. Should be standard from Renegade, cost me about $5 dollars total.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 06:11 AM   #13

Roughrider thanks for the tip - has anyone on the forum, Renegade or Firefly figured out the problem with the tanks sensors and Firefly.What's weird is it does work at times. My guess it's a programming error with the canbus so when a certain group of sensors start reporting, or a certain combination at one time and it goes to a default reading. Coming from old school knowing the exact levels is not mandatory but would be real nice to have. Sure would be nice to have a set of shocks on the bed as well!

Regards - Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #14

Hey guys I finally got around to equipping my coach with a "poor mans water gauge". Thanks to some tips on this thread, I cut a small 3" round hole at the foot of the bed as an inspection port to read the water tank levels.

By turning on the floor aisle lights, there is enough spilled light from the three lamps in the water compartment to easily read the levels. I included one shot with just the aisle light on. The three inch hole is not intrusive and plenty big enough to see the entire tank and not visible unless you on your knees at the foot of the bed. I'll get some rubber split trim to finish the hole.The tank is 16" high so I put marks at 4" - 8" and 12" for my 1/4 -1/2 & 3/4 tanks levels.

Another reason I didn't use a door is the 3" hole will now allow interior heat to flow into the compartment to keep the tanks warmer. I don't winterize my coach, I use the Aqua Hot element portion of the heater to keep the coach warm. Since the Aqua Hot rubber hoses go through the void in the floor, their heat also helps keep the sub floor warm since the Pex tubing is there as well.

While there is a Aqua Hot register under the bed, I did not see where it could draw air in for the fans, so the 3" opening will serve another purpose of allowing more air to flow though the heat register.

Here's a few images I shot outside the compartment through the 3" hole with my phone- Thanks Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	w1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	343182   Click image for larger version

Name:	w2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	343183  

Name:	w3.jpg