RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8
Verona Rear Ground Clearance

I have placed a deposit on a 2021 Verona 38LE. I am very excited about it except when I discovered the generator exhaust that comes out the rear is only 12" off the ground. In fact, it appears to hang below the trailer hitch. I am purchasing it 1,800 miles away so I have not been able to see it in person but am very familiar with the Verona having seen them at many RV shows. Everything about the coach fits my needs except for the ground clearance at the rear tail. Our plans are to take the coach throughout Colorado and primarily boondock on BLM type roads. I am very concerned about bottoming out in the rear. In fact, I'm concerned with breaking off the exhaust pipe just pulling out of my driveway.

In a call to Renegade and my dealer, both are very nice and accommodating, they agreed to see about rerouting the exhaust potentially out the side or raise the exhaust up in the rear and mount a rear skid plate across the back. The salesperson also suggested that he would talk to his shop about optionally installing an air switch to increase air bags in the back for when additional ground clearance is temporarily needed.

I would appreciate any feedback you may have concerning these options or any other suggestions for improving the ground clearance. Thank you in advance for your guidance.
rhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 318
I have a 36VSB that like your coach the gen set exhausts our the rear. I have never dragged the pipe but my overhang is shorter than the 38. The pipe is all so higher than the hitch. Not sure what I can say, I am sure the pipe can easily be sent out the side
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 153
I also have 36VSB with rear gen set exhaust. Never dragged it.

Attached in the photo you can see the automotive style adjustable muffler clamp that is adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 4.56.26 AM.png
Views:	28
Size:	897.3 KB
ID:	291194  
__________________
Ray and Angie
Northern Virginia
2019 Verona 36VSB
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8
Thank you for the photo. Yours looks nice and tight against the frame. I've attached two photos from that the salesman sent me. One you can see the exhaust drops below the trailer hitch and the other shows it approximately 12" off the ground. The LE38 is 16" longer in the rear overhang than the 36'. When I decided on the 38', I convinced myself that 16" additional length in the rear did not matter but I may have been wrong. After thinking more about it, I'm not excited about having the exhaust come out the side rather than the rear. Thanks again for the feedback.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground Clearance 1 Foot.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	492.7 KB
ID:	291214 Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground Clearance.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	584.4 KB
ID:	291215
rhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 153
rhealy, I do see an slight issue in the last photo, look at the angle of the exhaust pipe in the side view, it angle downward from the genset. Can you try loosening the rearmost clamp and try bending the exhaust up? I think this may gain you some additional clearance. I forgot the the LE is longer tail swing than the 36VSB.

Also, side exhaust to the drivers side is an option.
__________________
Ray and Angie
Northern Virginia
2019 Verona 36VSB
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:00 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 318
Rhealy: I think you may be over thinking the tail pipe issue. There are plenty of options to get that pipe up where you might want it. These options would cost you nothing and would take little time. The bracket on the end can be cut and raised up or you can push the pipe up on the gen set stub pipe. To not purchase the coach of your dreams would be short sighted IMHO. Good luck!
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
Member
 
RaceRenegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pa
Posts: 36
Looks fine...run it, or adjust as ragoodspeed mentioned.
I’d be more concerned about getting a dropped hitch and correcting the terrible angle that ball s/u causes. : )
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 318
Agree 100%, that double ball must go!!!!
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8
Proud Renegade Verona Owner

A big thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments on the ground clearance issue. I am happy to report that I am now a proud Verona 38 LE owner.

I have to share that my experience at TransWest in Frederick was great. Very nice folks. Grant Russell really took care of me. In addition, Tim O'Connell from Renegade reached out as well and made me feel very comfortable. The exhaust was raised tight to the bumper, a switch to temporarily air up the rear bags for an additional 3" of height was installed and skid plates are being installed next week.

When I took delivery, there was not one item that needed attention. In addition, after a 4 day trip there was still nothing that needed attention. Based on what I've read in many owner forums, that type of experience is almost unheard of. Renegade really is a step above. What a great start to my RV experience.

I look forward to being able to contribute to this group in the future. Thanks again for all the advice over the last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11N200132-001-20200612074349.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	292674  
rhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:53 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 153
rhealy, Congratulation on your new addition to your family, beautiful rig.

Can you provide additional info if you can on the:
1- switch to temporarily air up the rear bags for an additional 3" of height.
2- photos of skid plates are being installed next week.

On my 36VSB, I towed my 24' ATC trailer last week and I actually dragged the 2" ball on the ground while in town. I'm contemplating on "cutting off" the ball and just leave the 2 5/16.

Thank you and enjoy.

Ray
__________________
Ray and Angie
Northern Virginia
2019 Verona 36VSB
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Renegade RV's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Carmel, IN
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhealy View Post
A big thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments on the ground clearance issue. I am happy to report that I am now a proud Verona 38 LE owner.

I have to share that my experience at TransWest in Frederick was great. Very nice folks. Grant Russell really took care of me. In addition, Tim O'Connell from Renegade reached out as well and made me feel very comfortable. The exhaust was raised tight to the bumper, a switch to temporarily air up the rear bags for an additional 3" of height was installed and skid plates are being installed next week.

When I took delivery, there was not one item that needed attention. In addition, after a 4 day trip there was still nothing that needed attention. Based on what I've read in many owner forums, that type of experience is almost unheard of. Renegade really is a step above. What a great start to my RV experience.

I look forward to being able to contribute to this group in the future. Thanks again for all the advice over the last year.

Congrats on the new rig. You have great taste as we have the same paint scheme on our 40 LTS.
__________________
Dave, Helene & Wrangler our chocolate lab
2018 Renegade Verona LE 40 LTS
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Edition
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:12 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTuner View Post
rhealy, Congratulation on your new addition to your family, beautiful rig.

Can you provide additional info if you can on the:
1- switch to temporarily air up the rear bags for an additional 3" of height.
2- photos of skid plates are being installed next week.

On my 36VSB, I towed my 24' ATC trailer last week and I actually dragged the 2" ball on the ground while in town. I'm contemplating on "cutting off" the ball and just leave the 2 5/16.

Thank you and enjoy.

Ray
Thank you. The inflation to the rear air bags was accomplished by installing a new switch on the dash along with some solenoid valves at the bags. It's a momentary switch that airs up the bags an additional 3-4". Once the switch is released, the coach returns to normal ride height.

The skid plates are not due in until the end of next week. Once I get back out to Denver, I will be happy to post the photos. Sounds like I need to get rid of the stacked ball assembly as my tail is 16" longer than your 36. Take care.
rhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
RickLV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhealy View Post
Thank you. The inflation to the rear air bags was accomplished by installing a new switch on the dash along with some solenoid valves at the bags. It's a momentary switch that airs up the bags an additional 3-4". Once the switch is released, the coach returns to normal ride height.

The skid plates are not due in until the end of next week. Once I get back out to Denver, I will be happy to post the photos. Sounds like I need to get rid of the stacked ball assembly as my tail is 16" longer than your 36. Take care.
Is the temporary rear height adjustment accomplished with a kit that can be purchased or was it a custom installation ? I'm pretty sure that I will need something like this...

BTW, congrats on the new rig !
Thanks
__________________
Rick & Amy
2020 Renegade Verona 36 VSB
RickLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:21 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Idleup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 825
Congrats great looking paint job & coach Enjoy!

Plenty of rear clearance on the Verona's the gen tail pipe looks low but the hitch is the lowest point. I like leaving the hitch on the coach so it protects the underside in the event of a drag.

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renegade Verona vs Verona LE CorvetteGuy Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum 20 07-29-2019 11:33 AM
Verona Super C :: 2019 Renegade Verona LE chipf2 iRV2 Owners Registry 1 07-26-2019 06:36 AM
Renegade Verona :: 2020 Renegade Verona 40VBH jalewis iRV2 Owners Registry 1 06-25-2019 12:24 PM
Ground clearance with jacks up down to the ground Rvlegaleagle Class C Motorhome Discussions 8 09-01-2016 07:54 AM
Air helper springs to increase rear ground clearance? stownsen914 Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 09-06-2015 09:55 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.