Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #1

Verona Rear Ground Clearance

I have placed a deposit on a 2021 Verona 38LE. I am very excited about it except when I discovered the generator exhaust that comes out the rear is only 12" off the ground. In fact, it appears to hang below the trailer hitch. I am purchasing it 1,800 miles away so I have not been able to see it in person but am very familiar with the Verona having seen them at many RV shows. Everything about the coach fits my needs except for the ground clearance at the rear tail. Our plans are to take the coach throughout Colorado and primarily boondock on BLM type roads. I am very concerned about bottoming out in the rear. In fact, I'm concerned with breaking off the exhaust pipe just pulling out of my driveway.

In a call to Renegade and my dealer, both are very nice and accommodating, they agreed to see about rerouting the exhaust potentially out the side or raise the exhaust up in the rear and mount a rear skid plate across the back. The salesperson also suggested that he would talk to his shop about optionally installing an air switch to increase air bags in the back for when additional ground clearance is temporarily needed.

I would appreciate any feedback you may have concerning these options or any other suggestions for improving the ground clearance. Thank you in advance for your guidance.
rhealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #2

I have a 36VSB that like your coach the gen set exhausts our the rear. I have never dragged the pipe but my overhang is shorter than the 38’. The pipe is all so higher than the hitch. Not sure what I can say, I am sure the pipe can easily be sent out the side
ragoodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:03 AM   #3

I also have 36VSB with rear gen set exhaust. Never dragged it.

Attached in the photo you can see the automotive style adjustable muffler clamp that is adjustable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 4.56.26 AM.png
Views:	75
Size:	897.3 KB
ID:	291194  
SSTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #4

Thank you for the photo. Yours looks nice and tight against the frame. I've attached two photos from that the salesman sent me. One you can see the exhaust drops below the trailer hitch and the other shows it approximately 12" off the ground. The LE38 is 16" longer in the rear overhang than the 36'. When I decided on the 38', I convinced myself that 16" additional length in the rear did not matter but I may have been wrong. After thinking more about it, I'm not excited about having the exhaust come out the side rather than the rear. Thanks again for the feedback.

Name:	Ground Clearance 1 Foot.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	492.7 KB
ID:	291214 Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground Clearance.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	584.4 KB
ID:	291215
Old 06-29-2020, 02:36 AM   #5

rhealy, I do see an slight issue in the last photo, look at the angle of the exhaust pipe in the side view, it angle downward from the genset. Can you try loosening the rearmost clamp and try bending the exhaust up? I think this may gain you some additional clearance. I forgot the the LE is longer tail swing than the 36VSB.

Also, side exhaust to the drivers side is an option.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:00 AM   #6

Rhealy: I think you may be over thinking the tail pipe issue. There are plenty of options to get that pipe up where you might want it. These options would cost you nothing and would take little time. The bracket on the end can be cut and raised up or you can push the pipe up on the gen set stub pipe. To not purchase the coach of your dreams would be short sighted IMHO. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #7

Looks fine...run it, or adjust as ragoodspeed mentioned.
I’d be more concerned about getting a dropped hitch and correcting the terrible angle that ball s/u causes. : )
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #8

Agree 100%, that double ball must go!!!!
Old 07-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #9

Proud Renegade Verona Owner

A big thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments on the ground clearance issue. I am happy to report that I am now a proud Verona 38 LE owner.

I have to share that my experience at TransWest in Frederick was great. Very nice folks. Grant Russell really took care of me. In addition, Tim O'Connell from Renegade reached out as well and made me feel very comfortable. The exhaust was raised tight to the bumper, a switch to temporarily air up the rear bags for an additional 3" of height was installed and skid plates are being installed next week.

When I took delivery, there was not one item that needed attention. In addition, after a 4 day trip there was still nothing that needed attention. Based on what I've read in many owner forums, that type of experience is almost unheard of. Renegade really is a step above. What a great start to my RV experience.

I look forward to being able to contribute to this group in the future. Thanks again for all the advice over the last year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11N200132-001-20200612074349.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	292674  
Old 07-11-2020, 04:53 AM   #10

rhealy, Congratulation on your new addition to your family, beautiful rig.

Can you provide additional info if you can on the:
1- switch to temporarily air up the rear bags for an additional 3" of height.
2- photos of skid plates are being installed next week.

On my 36VSB, I towed my 24' ATC trailer last week and I actually dragged the 2" ball on the ground while in town. I'm contemplating on "cutting off" the ball and just leave the 2 5/16.

Thank you and enjoy.

Ray
Old 07-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhealy View Post
A big thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments on the ground clearance issue. I am happy to report that I am now a proud Verona 38 LE owner.

I have to share that my experience at TransWest in Frederick was great. Very nice folks. Grant Russell really took care of me. In addition, Tim O'Connell from Renegade reached out as well and made me feel very comfortable. The exhaust was raised tight to the bumper, a switch to temporarily air up the rear bags for an additional 3" of height was installed and skid plates are being installed next week.

When I took delivery, there was not one item that needed attention. In addition, after a 4 day trip there was still nothing that needed attention. Based on what I've read in many owner forums, that type of experience is almost unheard of. Renegade really is a step above. What a great start to my RV experience.

I look forward to being able to contribute to this group in the future. Thanks again for all the advice over the last year.

Congrats on the new rig. You have great taste as we have the same paint scheme on our 40’ LTS.
Renegade RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTuner View Post
rhealy, Congratulation on your new addition to your family, beautiful rig.

Can you provide additional info if you can on the:
1- switch to temporarily air up the rear bags for an additional 3" of height.
2- photos of skid plates are being installed next week.

On my 36VSB, I towed my 24' ATC trailer last week and I actually dragged the 2" ball on the ground while in town. I'm contemplating on "cutting off" the ball and just leave the 2 5/16.

Thank you and enjoy.

Ray
Thank you. The inflation to the rear air bags was accomplished by installing a new switch on the dash along with some solenoid valves at the bags. It's a momentary switch that airs up the bags an additional 3-4". Once the switch is released, the coach returns to normal ride height.

The skid plates are not due in until the end of next week. Once I get back out to Denver, I will be happy to post the photos. Sounds like I need to get rid of the stacked ball assembly as my tail is 16" longer than your 36. Take care.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhealy View Post
Thank you. The inflation to the rear air bags was accomplished by installing a new switch on the dash along with some solenoid valves at the bags. It's a momentary switch that airs up the bags an additional 3-4". Once the switch is released, the coach returns to normal ride height.

The skid plates are not due in until the end of next week. Once I get back out to Denver, I will be happy to post the photos. Sounds like I need to get rid of the stacked ball assembly as my tail is 16" longer than your 36. Take care.
Is the temporary rear height adjustment accomplished with a kit that can be purchased or was it a custom installation ? I'm pretty sure that I will need something like this...

BTW, congrats on the new rig !
Thanks
Old 10-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #14

Congrats great looking paint job & coach Enjoy!

Plenty of rear clearance on the Verona's the gen tail pipe looks low but the hitch is the lowest point. I like leaving the hitch on the coach so it protects the underside in the event of a drag.

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote