Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

Verona vrs Classic vrs $$$

Hi all, I almost hi-jacked someone else's thread instead of a new one just because the topic is -well .
New to this forum but not born yesterday either. My back ground is a mixed bag of full timing twice before the age of 50 due to being lucky with some business. Back in business again owning a couple but also working on some exit strategies at the same time. Wife and I sold a second home to start RV'ing again so we could spend more time seeing things as we travel instead of flying over them to our destination (I'm a pilot). Fast forward to today. I just put a deposit on a Verona. It took me months to make this decision and I am curious what people will say about it. I didn't ask opinions ahead of time because the internet had all the answers right and wrong and I figured I needed to do my homework and make the best decision for me personally (and wife of course).
Here we go; my original goal was a classic with a DD13. But I couldn't get over the fact I still have to remain connected to work for a while and its not a Bonanza that you can travel 1200 miles in for a weekend get away. So I decided a used Verona was the right direction. Used because its not a house where you can/will make money- darn near the opposite as in its not worth what you paid for it 1 day after you paid for it . As I crunched the power to weight ratio numbers and started shopping I determined that a 34 or 36' Verona was pretty comparable to a 40-42' classic with a dd13. Not apples to apples so don't flame me , but close and in the right situation the same. So I said lets look for a 36' with the 1150ft.tq. Good luck finding one these days much less anywhere near home. Ya we could fly out and look, its not that easy and its not cheap to fly and kick tires, done that a few times with other purchases and its just not realistic. So I go to dealers and get my feel for the coach but not ready to buy new. In an effort to shorten this long post
let me say I ended up ordering a 2021 Verona 36'. There is probably a classic in my future. For now I wanted a lot of the features of the 2021 and I negotiated a price that was about where the 2020 was at and it will not depreciate as fast with the newer chassis features. We put a deposit on the exact one we wanted equipped with exactly what we wanted today. We plan to flat tow a 1/2 ton pickup, trailer a jeep renegade and motorcycles, or run coach only and boon dock as much as possible. The 36 lets us get any place we want to go and living in Colorado there is a lifetime of adventure within a couple hour circle.
Did I make the right choice ? Say what you think because only I can have the right answer to my own question: I did !
This is a great forum with a lot of great people and info, I used it a lot for research before getting here today- thank you !
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2020, 08:50 PM   #2

I have no comment on whether you made the right choice or not. We ended up buying new despite planning on used. Still don't know if it was the right decision.

I'm glad to see others who consider power to weight ratios. I think sometimes people get hung up on the horsepower or torque numbers and not think about how some of those bigger rigs really need that extra power. I mean the Valencia that we bought has one of the lowest torque/weight ratios in the Super C segment. It's still better than most class A's, but it was definitely a concern I had prior to buying. (Since putting on 2500 miles just within Colorado I believe that the power is sufficient.) Anyway my point is it's good to go in with accurate information and comparisons.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2019 vsb and tow a ram2500. So far we are happy with our purchase. We left a 43 ft Winnebago and when we have more than three travelers ,we miss the half bath and that’s it no problems so far that stopped us from driving home( none are trouble free)
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:25 PM   #4

Classic or Verona

My situation is nearly identical to xcflyn. Started out looking only at Veronas. went to the dealer in Chandler AZ, my wife got a wif of being able to fully customize a Classic and the search was on. Had planned on ordering a 37 ft Classic in early fall. Found it hard to swallow the nearly $400k including the sales tax, unless I could find a suitable used rig. Good luck right? Well, this week, I put down a deposit on a 2014 Classic for about $150,000 less a new one. Its a 45 ft monster, with the X15 Cummins. I plan to escape the AZ Valley heat by cruising the Rocky Mts, towing a Jeep Wrangler. Figure I can enjoy the extra room and power while my kids are still at home. Then if we determine its too big, we can always down size and order than new rig. Resale values usually hold up. I pick it up this Saturday.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #5

we probably looked at the same one(s) in Chandler. I negotiated on one but we were still a little apart then after doing the power to weight calculations I found I was better off with a smaller coach and L9 than a 45' with a DD13. The room of a 45 was really appealing and the over all creature comforts are fantastic, even when driving the beast. Once I get my business dealings in line I know I will be ordering a 38' classic special build to what we want. I am jealous when I read your post and think how sweet it would be to have a 45' and I hope it suits you so well you never want to sell it. Be nice to never worry about resale value
I think all the Renegades are top of the line and I look at it like anything, make it fit your budget first, and wish list second. The tax thing is a sour subject on all these $200K+ coaches. One thing I did find was insurance on a new Verona was about 1/3 what it was on the big classic, between that and taxes I saved some money.
Love to see a pic of your when you get it. Maybe see ya around Colorado one of these days soon.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote