Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Renegade Motorhome Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
From Runways To Roadways

Freightliner Owners Club
When everything goes wrong on your trip.

Me and My wife just went though our toughest test with our RV yet. A nice simple local 1 hour and 15 trip n Ohio turned into a 4.5 hour nightmare. We started our trip very late. We did not leave till around 630pm. Our setup was the RV and a CanAm Spider RT (3 wheeler) sitting on a Stinger trailer. We started out our trip unevenfully with the Spider and stinger trailer in tow. All was going well, the trailer towed perfectly, all was well when we saw a road closure sign in 6 miles and we needed to turn in 6.3 miles. Thinking we would see a detour sign at the end of 6 miles, but we did not. The road just ended. We where stuck, unable to turn around because the country road and our large size and trailer. So we did the only thing that I thought might work. Taking the Spyder off the trailer and then take the Stinger trailer off the back of the camper. (See photos). It was very close with only one foot of room to work with to turn around. This whole operation took us about 45 minutes to unhook and reattach the trailer and spider and to turn the Valencia 180 degrees around. Now it was getting towards sunset and we had to find a way around this road closure with the GPS trying to u-turn us back to the same road closer. The roads where very narrow with me taking up both lanes to stay on the road. As we where driving one of that back country roads my Wife yelled “low power line and we end up hitting a power line just brushing the camper as far as we could tell. As we navigate around the narrow roads we were confronted with which direction we should go with. The GPS would tell us one way and our phones would tell us another. Sometimes in life you are confronted with decisions. Should you go left or right and you think to yourself is this the right decision. In our case we went right when we should have gone left. Because of our poor decision we where faced with our next obstacle a 12 foot clearance bridge. (our rig is 12’6”) Now we where faced with another predicament. We could not continue forward because we would hit the bridge. There was no really good place to turn around. Just before the low bridge we saw a little farmers gravel area close to the road. By this time it was nearly dark. I was able to back down a small hill with the trailer with my wife’s help and get the rig turned around. By now it was dark and we got to the campground around 11:30pm. Navigating the campground is another story for another day. Now keep in mind I just finished a 3,000 trip with no issues. So lesson learned don’t take the shortest distance, stay with a interstate or a major State road. Don’t leave after 3. Do not travel at night with your giant rig on back roads unless your familiar with the road. Have a real paper map with you. What have your experience been like have you had close calls on not being able to turn around. What did you do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9286BC5A-4C69-4E01-B8E8-6B4100F4E45B.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	445.1 KB
ID:	366843   Click image for larger version

Name:	168E95A6-6771-4523-B20D-00009CF04FAA.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	446.6 KB
ID:	366844  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4ECDBFE9-92C2-4E5B-B2CC-61A0098FB11E.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	366845   Click image for larger version

Name:	8D488E7E-C1DC-412F-9D6C-8DDC51C67F8C.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	502.8 KB
ID:	366846  

rolick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2022, 06:50 PM   #2

Yep....that's where a Paper Map and preplanning comes in handy
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Yep....that's where a Paper Map and preplanning comes in handy
not very many of us would realistically pre plan and paper map a 1hour trip.for many of us that's the next town down the road.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #4

Just keep telling yourself - some of our most memorable trips are the ones where things went this badly. I bet you weren't bored during those four hours!

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:57 PM   #5
From Runways To Roadways

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Just keep telling yourself - some of our most memorable trips are the ones where things went this badly. I bet you weren't bored during those four hours!
Lol bored, not a chance. My wife lost 10 years off her life. She really said we shouldn’t have gotten this monstrosity and gotten a class B. I said poo poo to that. She is a better to today though.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:20 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just curious, did you consider walking (riding your Spider) the .3 miles past the sign to see if you could make the turn? If so, you could have moved the sign and driven past.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:48 PM   #7
From Runways To Roadways

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
Just curious, did you consider walking (riding your Spider) the .3 miles past the sign to see if you could make the turn? If so, you could have moved the sign and driven past.
We did there was a fence and construction equipment in the way along with a large ditch dug into the road.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:13 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
David,
Hope your weekend is going better than how it started.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:34 AM   #9

Curious to know if you were using the Waze app or some other GPS option. How did the semi manage to get turned around?
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifoot View Post
not very many of us would realistically pre plan and paper map a 1hour trip.for many of us that's the next town down the road.
Nope, if I am headed into uncharted territory, for even a short trip, I look at the trip on RV Trip Wizard, sometimes check the paper map and crank up the Garmin RV GPS.

Driving a large vehicle is not the same as your typical auto. Better to be safe than sorry. But if you are adventurous, put on your blinders, crank it up and hope for the best.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:28 AM   #11
From Runways To Roadways

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Nope, if I am headed into uncharted territory, for even a short trip, I look at the trip on RV Trip Wizard, sometimes check the paper map and crank up the Garmin RV GPS.

Driving a large vehicle is not the same as your typical auto. Better to be safe than sorry. But if you are adventurous, put on your blinders, crank it up and hope for the best.

Ken
We where using a Garmin 890 RV with Garmin Drive for real world traffic and road closures. We also had Apple Maps going to. I don’t think this road closure was reported. We did get a warning from the Garmin when we got on the road with the 12’ overpass. The Garmin became useless because it kept trying to reroute us back to the same road closer. Where we went wrong is using Apple Maps at that point because it was the one the gave us directions to the 12’ overpass. The semi backed up about two miles to a cross road. Not a option for me as backing up that distance with a very short trailer is very difficult with the Valencia.
Old 05-31-2022, 04:07 AM   #12

Lessons learned duly noted. Beautiful rig...there are many good trips ahead for you.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:17 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Won't second guess you. We've found ourselves in some spots that weren't ideal due to construction or accidents or just being unfamiliar with the area. I like to look at Google or Apple maps overhead views, both satellite and traffic for every leg of every trip. I look at routes, alternates, and for each stop, entrances and exits. Even then, there is still the occasional surprise. Enjoy the adventure.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
No truer words were spoken! When we look back at our 5 decades of camping, those "Oh Shoot" moments always come back to mind! As long as you are safe and sound is all that matters.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote