Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
Russ what you have shown is that by google you can find a bias source information and not take the the time to understand it.
You state I have referenced biased sources and misunderstand them. I could just as easily say the same about you. Would it be true just because I say so? No. So, should people believe what you wrote about me just because you say so? I think not. You'll need to do better than making vague and unsupported claims if you want to win people over. You'll need to be specific. You'll need to say exactly which sources I referenced you believe are biased, demonstrate how they are biased, which information they present that is incorrect and reference other sources with contradictory information you believe is unbiased and accurate. You will need to show what it is I misunderstand. Short of that I cannot assign much credibility to your claims, nor can anybody else.

Quote:
The power industry pays large amounts of money to the general fund of local, state, and federal goverment for such things as services, generation tax, sales tax, and property tax.

For example, each nuclear power plant pays for the NRC for regulatory services. Congress allocates money to fund the NRC.

The goverment is making a profit.

Not a subsidy.
I am getting older and my memory isn't quite what it used to be so maybe can you refresh it by reminding me where it was that we were speaking about the nuclear industry and how much money it gets from or pays to the government. You see, I don't recall that being discussed. With that in mind I think you can understand why I am puzzled that you even bring this up and why it's topical.

I recall discussing Argosy's assertion that the cost of electricity from wind and solar was only lower than the cost of electricity produced by fossil fuels because of the subsidies paid to the renewables industry, and that I pointed out Argosy's argument was fallacious because it gave no consideration of the vast sums of subsidies paid to fossil fuels industry.

I don't recall expressing an opinion as to whether or not the nuclear industry has been the beneficiary of government subsidies. I'm pretty sure of that because I'm pretty sure I am not of that opinion. Can you show me where I said anything about subsidies paid to the nuclear industry?

You wrote the government makes a profit on fees paid by the nuclear industry. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I have no idea. I'm not entirely clear why you mention it.
2018 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th wheel, 760 watts of rooftop solar, four 6 volt Lifeline AGM batteries, 2800 watt Magnum inverter, 1000 watt Aims inverter, Progressive PMS, Hughes Autoformer; 2017 Ford F350 XLT Supercab diesel dually 4x4
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
This is shaping up to be an interesting debate between worthy proponents. I don’t know either of the main two folks but I will go on the record now as predicting more goalpost moving than when the St. Louis Rams moved back to LA in 2016.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
.....Short of that I cannot assign much credibility to your claims, nor can anybody else.

50 years if serving my country and the public making electricity and protecting the environment. I am trained in science and engineering but will loose a debate every day of the week with a lawyer who is trained to win a debate.

If you would like to discuss the merits of a solar electric MH that would be fine with me.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:19 PM   #18

Ted Talk by an Environmentalist: Why Renewables can't save the planet. We are killing the environment to save the climate.

A great watch.

https://youtu.be/N-yALPEpV4w
RogerThat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #19

I still say this thing isn’t real world useable without a ICE generator of some kind. If you want to travel a lot, add an engine and drivetrain. Oh wait…
RVtravelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat99 View Post
Ted Talk by an Environmentalist: Why Renewables can't save the planet. We are killing the environment to save the climate.

A great watch.

https://youtu.be/N-yALPEpV4w
To sum up the talk, If you want to do the right thing make an effort to learn what the right thing is.

For example, the speaker stated he was opposed to putting spent fuel in the desert. Is leaving it at decommissioned nuclear power the right thing?

I am an expert on the subject. About 1983 when I worked for GE, I attended the Rad Waste Conference in DC. We had a plan. Sites were evaluated. A location where nuclear weapons were tested was chosen. I was one of three overall reviewers of the documentation that went to POTUS for his signature.

The facility was designed with input from the French. The design was submitted to the NRC. During the review, the next POTUS ordered the NRC to stop the review.

I am not concerned because looking at the science nothing really needs to be done.

Using the same science and evaluation methods I think a Solar electric MH will never survive the regulatory process.

For those are concerned about climate change and still want to have an RV here is idea.

This summer I hiked a trail pioneers followed in covered wagons.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #21

Just curious. How do you have a forum join date that shows 1969 ?
RVtravelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:56 PM   #22

Here you go folks. Two minutes of research, no more speculating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95F34F1A-4EDE-4337-A861-57C167B31300.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	347498  
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVtravelz View Post
Just curious. How do you have a forum join date that shows 1969 ?
No idea but I joined in 2018.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #24

I set pencil to paper this morning over a cup of coffee, and jumped to some conclusions from the limited data available from the article. Perhaps more of the data they collected from the infotainment system will be shared with the public at a later date.

While size of the solar arrays were not specified in watts, I used a figure of 20W per square/ft to calculate 1900W while driving and 3760 watts while parked. The claimed range from batteries alone, of 373 miles, equates to 6.2 miles per kWh. This is an impressive number as some of the more efficient EVs get around 4 miles per kWh. Of course we dont know the speed at which the solar camper wa driven, but it was probably driven slower than the average Tesla.

The claimed range on a sunny day, where the panels will restore some charge to the battery, of 454 miles adds 81 miles to the battery only range. At 6.2 miles/kWh, a charge of 13kWh would be required to add the claimed additional range. With 1900 watts on the roof, it would take at least 7 hours of full sun exposure and the full rated output of the panels to produce the necessary anoint of electricity. This also assumes no inefficiencies.

Interestingly, they opted to drive an average of 186 miles between destinations. That approximately half of the claimed range. If they averaged 45mph, a typical day would involve 4 hours of driving. Traveling that distance, at 6.2 miles/kWh, would consume 30kWhs of the batteries capacity. So, they park and deploy the additional panels, which under ideal conditions will recharge the battery at a rate of roughly 3.5kWhs each hour. Theyll need 8.5 hours to fully recharge the battery. That might be possible in Arizona, in July.

This leads to the claim of being able to recharge the battery from the solar panels in 2-3 days, being somewhat questionable. It would require 16-18 hours of full exposure to accomplish that goal. Given the proper conditions, that could happen.

Heres an example of what should be expected. I have 4.5kWs of solar on the house. Recently installed, very efficient, LG panels. The house is located approximately 200 miles south of the 45th parallel and the panels have more than 80% exposure, which exceeds the requirement for incentives. For the month of October, production has averaged 10kWhs per day. In other words, on average, the panels are producing just over 2 hours worth of full production each day.

Apply that scenario to the solar camper, 2 hours of full rated production would give them 7kWhs per day. At that rate, it would take more than 8 days to fully recharge the battery. Keep in mind, if the camper is occupied, some electricity will be consumed each day, so 1-2kWhs of solar energy may not make it to the battery.

Their achievement is admirable. What needs to be kept in perspective, is that the advocates of these solar and electric vehicles tend to provide data points that only exist under ideal conditions.

FWIW: Weve had solar and batteries at the house for 10 years, have owned a Plug-in Hybrid for more that 2 years and plan to put solar on the coach.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
This leads to the claim of being able to recharge the battery from the solar panels in 2-3 days, being somewhat questionable. .......

For the month of October, production has averaged 10kWhs per day. ......

FWIW: Weve had solar and batteries at the house for 10 years, have owned a Plug-in Hybrid for more that 2 years and plan to put solar on the coach.
I assume you live off grid.

Your data indicates a CF = 11%. What is would expect for your latitude.

If you lived on grid that the value of the electricity would be $2.00/day.

The assumption is that solar is a good environmental choice. I have yet to see an LCA that says it is a good choice and I have been looking for 20 years.

I do not expect to see one either. Just like I do not expect to see a commercial fusion.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:18 PM   #26

Quote:
I assume you live off grid.

Your data indicates a CF = 11%. What is would expect for your latitude.

If you lived on grid that the value of the electricity would be $2.00/day.

The assumption is that solar is a good environmental choice. I have yet to see an LCA that says it is a good choice and I have been looking for 20 years.

I do not expect to see one either. Just like I do not expect to see a commercial fusion.
Is it possible to discuss the solar powered RV and its practicalities or lack thereof, and not make the conversation about you, me, the environment or nuclear energy? Maybe?
Old 10-31-2021, 10:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Is it possible to discuss the solar powered RV and its practicalities or lack thereof, and not make the conversation about you, me, the environment or nuclear energy? Maybe?

I am not sure I understand your question. I write about things I am interested in based on my experience.

I found what you wrote interesting and commented.

If there was a tread about stupid thing being done while remodeling a bathroom, I would have contributed.

I recently contributed on two topics. If others had suggested my solution I would not have posted. While the OP discussed with me my option they did not use it. However, another poster asked for a link and thanked me for the idea.

So there is a you and a me and then there are others.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:05 AM   #28

Quote:
Nope, but as many others have found, the ignore list will help.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, power, solar