Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2023, 10:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
$44,000 financed on 60 months is about $850 a month on normal APRs.

$66,000 financed on 60 months for a Tesla would be about $1,300 a month.

Given most families are dealing with increased food costs, higher electricity bills and housing costs out of sight, a two car family will have difficulties affording two new automobiles of any kind.
If this forum is any indication (and it likely isn't), there seem to be plenty of folks lining up to pay that much or far more on an American PU as a TV.

But yes, if you aren't looking to tow or can't afford an RV, the sensible thing to do is to live within your means. No one is owed a shiny new car.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2023, 01:20 PM   #30

This is easy...

My 1972 VW Westy w/2056cc T-4 engine. I get 21mpg (US) on the highway and 16 around town.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972VWbus View Post
This is easy...

My 1972 VW Westy w/2056cc T-4 engine. I get 21mpg (US) on the highway and 16 around town.
I was thinking from the RV point of view it would be the '74 IH TravelAll. Great family station and great TV.

Once stuffed 16 people in it. The ship was at the weapon station which often at remote locations because bad things have happened. I had to go back to base to get one of my sailors out of jail so my wife came and got me.

A sailor asked for a lift and we had plenty room. Then we had plenty of sailors and no more room. The Reese hitch was dragging.
Old 01-20-2023, 09:30 AM   #32

My 2010 Nissan Leaf was the best car I ever owned. I will never buy another gas/diesel vehicle again after leasing that for 3 years. And now with the huge ranges standard and how cheap they have gotten, not to mention, some can already power your house during a black out, and the rest will be able to do that in the very near future only a small percentage of drivers need an ICE car. Now if we could only get one that tows 4 wheels down, I would buy it tomorrow. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:21 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Wall Street is not impressed with the price cuts and Tesla stock dropped another 4%.

Perhaps Musk should stick with driving Twitter into the ground, he'd lose less.

That said, the Tesla cars are fun to drive; the automation stuff I'm less enthused with. My daily driver does about 16,000 miles a year at 28 mpg. I'm not expecting the price of energy, alone, to make the case for switching from dino juice any time soon, but I've already decided that my next daily use car will be electric. I might keep the dino burner for long hauls. Horses for courses, after all!
TSLA is up almost $50. In the last 2 weeks, you had a buying opportunity but failed to recognize it!
Old 02-01-2023, 02:25 PM   #34

The best car made is just a matter of opinion! But I will never own a EV ! That’s for the next generation as far as I’m concerned! I liked the 55 chevy and own 17 of them !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:31 PM   #35

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrycoachrv View Post
tsla is up almost $50. In the last 2 weeks, you had a buying opportunity but failed to recognize it!
tsla chart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30BFF658-1DF8-47FA-BA3F-8EACAB492392.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	385550  
Old 02-01-2023, 02:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryCoachRV View Post
TSLA is up almost $50. In the last 2 weeks, you had a buying opportunity but failed to recognize it!
And if you owned it past March 28, 2022 you missed a selling opportunity. If you continued to hold past that date until today you have recovered to the point you are only down around 50%. It is really easy to be an investment guru when offering nothing but hindsight.
Bigceasar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:46 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fully paid for. Room for the whole family.
22MPG and APPRECIATING about 20% per year.

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	230.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	385553  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:53 PM   #38

The competition is starting to react. VW is reviewing pricing and the ID4 price is being lowered in some markets. Ford dropped their Mustang pricing but is holding on the Lightning for now. GM is standing firm on their pricing but they don’t really build that many anyway so not much of an impact.

The real competition is all Asian and at least some of them are dropping prices already. BYD and Xpeng for sure and polestar apparently next week. Hyundai hasn’t announced yet.

Tesla model Y is the number one selling vehicle in Europe now. And I think the model 3 is number 3.

Interesting times.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 02:54 PM   #39

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceasar View Post
And if you owned it past March 28, 2022 you missed a selling opportunity. If you continued to hold past that date until today you have recovered to the point you are only down around 50%. It is really easy to be an investment guru when offering nothing but hindsight.
I am not an investment guru but when it got below 120. I made my move, I did the same when Texas Instruments got below $15. A few years ago. You can call me a bottom feeder but it has worked for me. If you were in TSLA for the long haul this is just a blip on the chart. TSLA is dominant in the EV business so you can still buy now and hold for a few years and make a good return. Most stock prices do not go up in a straight line without some hiccups in price on their way to new highs.
CntryCoachRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:28 PM   #40

Just read an article in C&D that insurance rates are high and if a Tesla is in even a small wreck, they will most likely total the car. High rate of Tesla's on the salvage market.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:54 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Just read an article in C&D that insurance rates are high and if a Tesla is in even a small wreck, they will most likely total the car. High rate of Tesla's on the salvage market.
It probably varies by region. Ours is a little more than the grand Cherokee but really not that bad.

I think the under 25 drivers get hit hard though. Ugh.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 03:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
The best car made is just a matter of opinion! But I will never own a EV ! That’s for the next generation as far as I’m concerned! I liked the 55 chevy and own 17 of them !

It sounds as if your a purist, so I’m guessing you won’t be converting one to an EV?
Seriously, any pics of one of your ‘55 Chevys would be appreciated. [emoji3]
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote