Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2023, 10:33 PM   #1

Best car of the last 70 years, Tesla

https://www.ibtimes.com/tesla-model-...-trend-2805906
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2023, 04:22 AM   #2

https://www.flyingpenguin.com/?p=40123&cpage=1
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 05:42 AM   #3

Be prepared to see more EVs. Tesla just cut prices by 20%.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Average transaction prices, which affect purchasing decisions for many middle class consumers, are already historically high, hitting a new record in November of $48,681, according to Kelley Blue Book. For an EV, that figure was $65,041.

At $4 a gallon for gas and an average mpg of 25, the current break even point is 106,000 miles. At an average of 12,000 miles per year, that’s just shy of 9 years of ownership. Financially, it’s not a wise purchase for the average middle class consumer.

Tesla has dropped prices because of the limits for tax credit based on vehicle cost under the inflation reduction act. Imagine buying a Tesla a year ago and now realizing your used car just dropped further in value because the new ones cost 20% less.

When we have an over supply of cattle or people shift to eating chicken, we have to reduce the price of beef to move it. Tesla is doing the same.
Old 01-13-2023, 07:03 AM   #5

my wife has the 2023 model y, my oldest son has the s plaid and the middle son has the s. the wife is on the list for a cybertruck and is looking at sometime in 2025 probably. i'll stick with my Powerwagon,but holy crap is that model s plaid a freaking beast to drive.0 to 60 in around the 3 second mark.my son drove his s into a small ditch and pushed in the floor pan.it was deemed un driveable and cost $17k to replace the floor and batteries, luckily covered under his ins.
hemifoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:59 AM   #6

The stated competition was a Chevy Bel Aire, a Dodge Caravan, a Prius, and a Citroen. A Ford Pinto could have won against that field.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 10:10 AM   #7

Camry, hands down. Accord a close second. My car has one imperative. Get me from a to b everytime, no exceptions. Toyotas do it best.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My little 2002 Grand Caravan has 245K on the clock, gets 25MPG and hauls all my stuff quite well. Colorado cars don't rust and parked inside each night she still shines up well.
Already priced a new reman 3.3 engine and trans axle @ $4500.00 INSTALLED.

So, I'm covered for the next decade.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 11:17 AM   #9

What a fluff piece. It's also over three years old: "07/10/19 AT 11:38 PM". I wonder what the author thinks these days with Elon losing 200 Billion dollars last year.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
Be prepared to see more EVs. Tesla just cut prices by 20%.
20% off their top end SUV, 6% on the entry level model. Word is Tesla has a lot of unused capacity at their new factories in Austin, TX and Berlin, Germany. I expect Tesla to drop prices even more in the next 6 months.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olyteddy View Post
What a fluff piece. It's also over three years old: "07/10/19 AT 11:38 PM". I wonder what the author thinks these days with Elon losing 200 Billion dollars last year.
Wall Street is not impressed with the price cuts and Tesla stock dropped another 4%.

Perhaps Musk should stick with driving Twitter into the ground, he'd lose less.

That said, the Tesla cars are fun to drive; the automation stuff I'm less enthused with. My daily driver does about 16,000 miles a year at 28 mpg. I'm not expecting the price of energy, alone, to make the case for switching from dino juice any time soon, but I've already decided that my next daily use car will be electric. I might keep the dino burner for long hauls. Horses for courses, after all!
Old 01-14-2023, 09:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceasar View Post
The stated competition was a Chevy Bel Aire, a Dodge Caravan, a Prius, and a Citroen. A Ford Pinto could have won against that field.
The '68 GTO caught my eye but maybe that was because I had a '60 Ford Falcon station wagon.

Only read car magazines in the dentist office. Consumer reports car buying guide was a much more practical for a family/commute car.

Another indicator of reliability was the rural route mail delivery on dirt roads in Appalachia mountains. Subaru!
Old 01-15-2023, 06:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemifoot View Post
my wife has the 2023 model y, my oldest son has the s plaid and the middle son has the s. the wife is on the list for a cybertruck and is looking at sometime in 2025 probably. i'll stick with my Powerwagon,but holy crap is that model s plaid a freaking beast to drive.0 to 60 in around the 3 second mark.my son drove his s into a small ditch and pushed in the floor pan.it was deemed un driveable and cost $17k to replace the floor and batteries, luckily covered under his ins.
I’m in the DFW metro, the difference in Lewis Hamilton in his F1 and me in my 4 cyl. Outback would only be how long it took us getting between traffic lights.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
The '68 GTO caught my eye but maybe that was because I had a '60 Ford Falcon station wagon.

Only read car magazines in the dentist office. Consumer reports car buying guide was a much more practical for a family/commute car.

Another indicator of reliability was the rural route mail delivery on dirt roads in Appalachia mountains. Subaru!
I remember how cool it was when the Citroen suspension would raise the car when it started.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote