Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2022, 03:29 AM   #85

[QUOTE=tmandoug1;6290254]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
California seems to be and has always been the 'forward' thinker.... thats why I love living in CA (my winter home). It may eventually be my main home.

Nothing is perfect, it might take more time to go all electric for the 'general' population but we are certainly headed in that direction.

I went totally solar on my home in 2017 and haven't had a utility bill other than the connection fee of $25-$35 a month. It has been working great and saving me $10,000 a year in utility cost.

I've started a new build as I'm wanting to downsize. The new house won't be ready for 2 yrs. as I've just started the planning stage. It will have solar too.

If you don't reach for the stars you will never get there.

Safe travels,

Kind of got your own personal thing going don't you!
Connection fee ? To connect to your solar array ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2022, 05:14 AM   #86

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=tmandoug1;6290254]
Quote:
California seems to be and has always been the 'forward' thinker.... thats why I love living in CA (my winter home). It may eventually be my main home.

Nothing is perfect, it might take more time to go all electric for the 'general' population but we are certainly headed in that direction.

I went totally solar on my home in 2017 and haven't had a utility bill other than the connection fee of $25-$35 a month. It has been working great and saving me $10,000 a year in utility cost.

I've started a new build as I'm wanting to downsize. The new house won't be ready for 2 yrs. as I've just started the planning stage. It will have solar too.

If you don't reach for the stars you will never get there.

Safe travels,

Kind of got your own personal thing going don't you!
Man there is a lot to unfold with this post. But I will focus on your $10,000 a year savings in utility cost. How much do you Californians pay for electricity? Or, is your home an uninsulated mega mansion? In the summer my average utility bill in southeast Texas where we reach over 100F routinely is around $275 to $300. The spring/winter/fall are aound $175 or less. Even if I assume $300 per month, I would come nowhere near $10,000. How in the world are you saving $10,000 per year? Another question, who installed your solar? I've run the numbers for my house. IF I install it myself, I will break even in 8 to 10 years depending on the inverter and panel choices. If a 3rd party company installs it, it is closer to 20 to 22 years depending on the company/equipment choices. If you haven't reach payout yet of your install cost, you are not saving anything yet except CO2 emissions (which is definitely the goal here). But running the numbers, unless your system was free or unless you've reached payout which includes recovering the financing costs or lost opportunity for investment returns of the cash outlay, you're not saving a dime yet. My neighbors across the street just got solar installed. Mostly no utility bill (depends on the month), but they have a loan they pay on every month for the next 20 years. Solar is great if your only goal is to reduce your carbon footprint, but I wish everyone would report the truth about the numbers. And yes, I am including the federal tax credit in the numbers.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:16 AM   #87

Quote:
Your electric bill is $833 a month?

How much is electricity per kwh where you live?
Old 08-28-2022, 06:46 AM   #88

Ok guys.... here's the situation.

My utility bill was averaging around $800-$850 per month depending on how much I use the house. I have an all electric house with heat pumps and natural gas for the two fireplaces and gas for the pool and spa heaters. I have 7,008 sq. ft. with 26 tons of air conditioning using 7 units. Renova Solar put on 63 roof panels.

The way Solar generation system works is that you use your local utilities all the time, the solar generates the electricity sending it back to the grid and I get credit on my monthly bill, hence the connection fee to Edison Electric.

When the solar was installed, I received an immediate 30% tax deduction off of my taxes for tax year 2017. The break-even point is about 7 yrs. This system will add value to my home when it's time to sell.

It's interesting that the solar doesn't generate as much electricity in the heat of the summer in the desert. The temps can range from 108-120. This summer when I was there in July, we did reach 119 one day but was generally in the 110-115 range.

The highest generation happens in April/May and October/November. The inverters on the panels aren't as efficient in the heat but love the cooler weather.

The kWh charges are tiered, tier one is .16465, tier two is .24520, tier three (high use) is .33600.
In July, I used 771 kWh in tier one, 2,314 kWh in tier two and 55 kWh in tier three.

Safe travels,
Mark
Old 08-28-2022, 06:50 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I went totally solar on my home in 2017 and haven't had a utility bill other than the connection fee of $25-$35 a month. It has been working great and saving me $10,000 a year in utility
Safe travels,
Mark[/QUOTE]

Saving $10,000 A YEAR in utility costs! What did your solar cost to have installed? Wondering what the payback would be here. Would your solar be able to charge an ev or two? All the utilities on my 3,200 sq ft house here don’t even reach $3,000 per year (that’s electric for a/c and propane for heat). The furnace runs more than six months each year. The a/c maybe two months total. If that’s just your former electric costs, adding vehicle charging (without solar) will be a significant increase in electric costs for the consumer.
I’d hate to rely on electric if I only had solar, not getting up on a roof to shovel snow off the panels. Lastly, why are you connected to the electric lines? That $1,500 is an entire year of electric power here. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to wrap my head around how buying a bev would save money. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:50 AM   #90

Interesting times ahead as we enter The Modern Grand Solar Minimum of 2020-2053. Within will be Cycle 26, 2031-2042, a period of Maximum Volcanic Eruptions. The Earth's Radiative Balance is sure to be severely negatively upset.

California has done a wonderful job managing water supplies and rail transit.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:11 AM   #91
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Closed

After two reminders, this continued way off topic and has been closed. Time to move on.
Closed Thread

Tags
california, gas, sale