Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #1

Converter issues

I have a 2001 Winnebago p-32. The issue seems to be the converter. Works fine when plugged in to shore-power, but after it's unplugged I have no power at all. The batteries (two 6 volt deep cell) are all charged up to 13 volts, they seem to be fine. Are all converters the same? Is it just a matter of it fitting in the box, and the correct volt, and the fan is in a place where it cools (is it better to get one that is rated above the amperage)?
RLFunston is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #2

No Power....do you mean no DC Power or No AC Power??

What Model is your converter (AC Main Panel Label)?
Converters are in compartment below ​AC/DC Section (can also be stand alone units behind the AC/DC Panel)

Upgrading to higher converter AMP rating usually involves upgrading the wire size to battery also

Converter only works when connected to AC Power
AC IN...converter produces DC Out
Supplies the DC System and Maintains battery voltage

NO AC Power...Battery supplies the DC System
*Blown battery in-line fuse (on POS) cable would not allow Converter to charge.maintain battery
*Blown Reverse Polarity Fuses (On converter/DC Fuse Panel) would not allow converter to supply DC System OR charge.maintain battery

Disconnect battery POS Cable at DC Fuse Panel
Verify AC to converter...check converter DC Output
*S/B 13.2VDC Minimum
If not...converter is bad
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:01 PM   #3

converter issues

I seem to have posted this in the wrong forum.

The trouble is on the DC side when I plug in I have AC power, everything works good when I unplug from "shore power" that's when the trouble starts. I have no DC power at all. And the batteries are charged. I didn't state this before but there is no manufacture label stated, either it has worn off with age or there never was one to start.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:04 PM   #4

If your 12 volt things work with shore power connected, and not work with it unplugged, then your converter is working as it should.

It takes 120 volt shore power and converts it to 12 volt battery type power.

Whats happening is the battery power is not getting to the 12 volt stuff, so look for a fuse , circuit breaker or switch between the battery and the fuse box for a problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:07 PM   #5

Converter issues

What is the POS?
Old 10-18-2021, 09:12 PM   #6

Do you have the battery select switch by the door on after you unplug from shore power ? And do you here a clunk with you switch the coach batteries on..? Your converter is wired to make dc when plugged into shore.. but you have to turn coach batteries on manually after you unplug.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you.. most of us.. leave coach batteries on while plugged into shore because that converter will only charge batteries that way.. but sometimes people turn coach batteries off then plug into shore.. but if you don't turn switch back on.. on my model.. the batteries will not charge up..
Old 10-18-2021, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLFunston View Post
What is the POS?
POS.....positive battery cable
Old 10-19-2021, 07:27 PM   #8

Red face Converter

Color me embarrassed and after I spent a couple days working on this. Checked all the fuses and figured it was the converter and after taking it out and cleaning it, who would of ever thought it would be that stupid switch, I always forget about it............. damn

Thanks guys!
Old 10-19-2021, 07:30 PM   #9

Love those 'easy' fixes..........and they are FREE

Thanks for the update and 'resolution'....LOL
Old 11-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #10

where is the inverter on a 32 ft 93 allegro bay with pusher i hear a buzz when shore power is plugged in but the batteries are dead. not sure why
tullyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #11

Not sure

Not sure about that one.

Tags
converter