Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2022, 01:16 PM   #1

E-Trucks, not ready for prime time towing?

While only a single example, it is revealing.

https://www.motorious.com/articles/f...g-towing-test/

The days of tooling down the road in a EV Rv is a ways away.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #2

I don't think EV towing will ever be successful unless the trailer is very light and low and streamlined or the trailer itself has big propulsion batteries and motors to assist.

It isn't hard to understand why. Most TVs get about half of their highway mpgs when towing a decent size trailer, ie the energy required is double. But also, EV batteries when worked hard don't have as much Ah capacity as when not towing. That may be why the computer overestimated the available EV towing distance.

So, between using twice as much energy and having less real battery capacity you will generally get less than half of the miles before charging in an EV vehicle as while not towing.

BTW I don't expect a battery powered propulsion system on a trailer to be on the market any time soon, if ever.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:21 PM   #3

At 1/3 the range when towing, this truck will never make it for RV use. It's really being marketed for small contractors and for daily drivers. I have my doubts as to how many people will pay the premium for a BEV. Even with government subsidies its going to cost a lot.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:45 PM   #4

I have always held that before I owned an electric powered car, it would have to be capable of driving nonstop for at least 300 miles between charges and fully recharge in less than 15 minutes. The same goes for an electric RV or vehicle used for towing a trailer. I don't see that coming in the near future.

Move on makes a good point though... If all you're going to do is city driving or commuting to a local jobsite, an electric vehicle may not be that bad. Plug it in every evening when you get home and it's always ready to go again in the morning.
1JetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:57 PM   #5

The video is from TFL Truck. It was posted in another thread but I'm to lazy to find it. TFL Truck has their own Youtube website.

Tags
tow, towing