Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2022, 10:02 AM   #1

EV truck real world test fail...

Not sure about the validity but did find this interesting. EV Truck failed big time. Not a hater either, I am rooting for EV's...

https://www.westernjournal.com/journalists-tow-camper-behind-electric-truck-end-stunning-failure-make-85-miles/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2022, 10:04 AM   #2

This has already been posted numerous times.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #3

The F-150 is not meant to be a long-distance RV tow vehicle. It is meant to be used around town with only occasional towing. I think that pretty much goes for any type of battery powered vehicle. Because of limited range we won't be seeing widespread use for towing trailers or powering motor homes.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:11 AM   #4

Towing is a large EV problem. I'm not sure how any manufacturer is going to overcome the range loss associated with it.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:20 AM   #5

Old news. Everyone points to niche use cases and then proclaims the sky is falling.

In my last week of driving I saw lots of F150 and similarly sized other brands, probably a majority of the personal vehicles. Of the non-commercial users almost all were occupied by only the driver and was towing nothing. Nothing. Probably more than 80% of private pickup truck driving involves no towing, little hauling, and mostly 1 person.

That is who the EV versions of these trucks are aimed at. Not folks pulling a big 5th wheel or even a travel trailer. Maybe a utility trailer to move stuff from the Big Box Store to the house a couple times a year. Maybe.

Not every owner of a pickup truck uses it the way we RVers do. Most do not, and our idea of what is suitable is vastly over-spec'd for daily driver use.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:29 AM   #6

If they want to make an EV tow vehicle out of a truck, give it a payload of about 2k, close the bed in and put as much battery in it as possible. Trying to a do-everything EV truck will be too difficult.
Old 05-25-2023, 12:16 PM   #7

We are experienced EV RV haulers. I wouldn’t recommend any of the current 1/2 tons to folks with larger profile trailers. They are fine for hauling to the local lake or whatever but A cross country trip would be a hassle unless you are touring.

Smaller profile lighter trailer are fine though and many folks with lightnings and Rivians are achieving reasonable results towing 18 to 20 footers like escapes or casitas or tear drops. We tow a tear drop. Good fit for us.

I think the next generation of electric half tons will see significant improvements in towing range. But larger heavier trailers will stay in the realm of gas or diesel trucks for a few more years.

All jmho.
Old 07-27-2023, 08:10 PM   #8

I’ve posted here about the Silverado EV which should do just fine @450mi, worst case and including the 20%-80% charging range you’ll should get just under 200mi which is all you need for one charging stop/day (6ish hour driving day)

Since that is the new high bar we can expect the RAM to push that to 500mi - they’ve said as much, not that they can do it now but they’re so behind they have to, and new chemistries might be available. The next Lightning will have to achieve those kinds of numbers too.

Anyhow 400-450 is minimum IMO, 500mi is more than enough so basically we’re just there now with long distance towing, for most people. What’s surprising to me is how fast we got there, EV trucks have only been out for a year or two already.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:31 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingDan View Post
I’ve posted here about the Silverado EV which should do just fine @450mi, worst case and including the 20%-80% charging range you’ll should get just under 200mi which is all you need for one charging stop/day (6ish hour driving day)

Since that is the new high bar we can expect the RAM to push that to 500mi - they’ve said as much, not that they can do it now but they’re so behind they have to, and new chemistries might be available. The next Lightning will have to achieve those kinds of numbers too.

Anyhow 400-450 is minimum IMO, 500mi is more than enough so basically we’re just there now with long distance towing, for most people. What’s surprising to me is how fast we got there, EV trucks have only been out for a year or two already.
Thanks Dan - agree with all of this, the chemistry is only getting better, prices continue to fall, efficiency continues to rise. All in real time.

The other point I think is really important for people to remember is the use case: today's first generation of EV trucks already work fine for people who tow small, lightweight trailers short-medium distances OR who aren't in a rush to drive cross-country in three days. For most of us, who do a weekend at a campground 100-200 miles away then turn around and tow home, we're already there (as Radar has indicated again and again with his awesome photos of Rivians and F-150's at campgrounds in BC!).

The next generation of EV trucks will take care of the somewhat larger towable RVs with greater range, faster charging and less range loss from towing.
Old 07-28-2023, 08:35 AM   #10

There are always two sides to any story. A friend is a Rivian employee and with his wife successfully towed one of their Mustangs cross country. They did have to stop frequently due to driving at "brisk" speeds. Search Facebook for their description.

QUOTE=Homeby5;6239360]Not sure about the validity but did find this interesting. EV Truck failed big time. Not a hater either, I am rooting for EV's...

https://www.westernjournal.com/journ...make-85-miles/[/QUOTE]
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
Old 07-28-2023, 08:29 PM   #11

Rivian is not a great TV, it overheats and has a too small battery. It is meant as an adventure vehicle, but you certainly can do lighter duty towing just fine. The Lightning doesn’t suffer from any thermal issues but it also has a limited battery.

Quote:
The next generation of EV trucks will take care of the somewhat larger towable RVs with greater range, faster charging and less range loss from towing.
Yeah agree, the Silverado and probably RAM (eventually) fall into that category, don’t know about the Cybertruck (suspect this too will be an adventure vehicle). And Lightning II surely. Main thing - as always - is aero. Until 600 mi batteries lead foots will want to keep it at 60. Aero of the Silverado is best in class too (.33 I think) for long distance towing which makes the 450 possible. 212 kWh appears to be the max for full sized trucks with present chemistry.

Charging is there with the 800V 350 kW charge speeds, most people are fine to take a sub one hour lunch break for that one charge per day.

Quote:
Not sure about the validity but did find this interesting. EV Truck failed big time. Not a hater either
And yeah, that TFL video … look those guys towed a monster trailer in mountains at 70 mph in a Lightning IIRC. Thats a test designed to fail. I like those guys honestly but they shoot from the hip.
Old 07-28-2023, 08:44 PM   #12

I’ve posted this analysis before of why 450 mile high aero is enough for real world towing
  • Given 20%-80% desired charging range that’s 90m-360m, or 270 miles net
  • With a 30% range loss from towing that’s 189 miles range, or 3 hours of driving @60mph
  • With an average driving day of under 6 hours, that‘s one charging stop for lunch
  • This is probably minimum, with a bit of care the numbers can be improved (e.g. charge to 90%, hypermile a bit, etc)

Expect 50% range loss worst case and 30% average, ICE or EV its the same. Biggest determinant is aero and speed, so keeping it under 60 is good.

Plus GM recommends low trailer gain to let trailer weight to help regen, and save the brakes.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:17 AM   #13

Tesla Cybertruck Tows a Tesla Model Y, Doesn't Go Very Far - autoevolution

Some may have buyers remorse
Old 01-18-2024, 08:34 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread closed due to not meeting RV only guidelines.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f298/imp...ng-635409.html
Closed Thread

Tags
test