Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2023, 04:38 PM   #1

Ford and GM both announce they are switching to the Tesla charging plug and standard.

I won’t put any links as there are so many but it will make the marginal charging experience of non teslas better…or at least for ford and GMC.

This coupled with the 420 mile range of the GM 2024 electric half tons and the expected 430 mile range of the generation 2 Ford Lightning along with the 450 mile expected range of the Tesla longer range Cybertruck should make towing viability of small to medium size travel trailers more viable for many in North America.

We have been touring for almost two weeks in BC with our Tesla and little trailer combo. We have seen more EV RV combos in the last two weeks than we did all last camping season. Mostly teslas with trailers but a lot of lightnings with smaller trailers as well. A few Rivians but not many.

Interesting times.

radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2023, 05:32 PM   #2

Get claustrophobic just looking at it. Just kidding!
Old 06-08-2023, 05:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Get claustrophobic just looking at it. Just kidding!
Yah it’s cozy. . We downsized from a 40 foot diesel pusher when we left the snowbird lifestyle. There was an …”adjustment period”…. But we seem to have made it thru it. We have toured all over Canada and extensively in BC with our little combo. Good fit for our us now. .
Old 06-08-2023, 05:46 PM   #4

Standardization of charging was inevitable. Many trade publications have talked about this for a long time.

Plus, if EV's are to progress beyond urban use, more developments need to come so that cross country travelers can pull up to a charging station, just like we pull up to the pumps and charge within a comparable amount of time. I just don't see our "car culture" accepting anything less. And, these chargers need to be in the same locations pumps are now. Not some hotel parking lot in a bad part of town.

And for those of us in the north, cold weather range needs improvement too.
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post
Standardization of charging was inevitable. Many trade publications have talked about this for a long time.

Plus, if EV's are to progress beyond urban use, more developments need to come so that cross country travelers can pull up to a charging station, just like we pull up to the pumps and charge within a comparable amount of time. I just don't see our "car culture" accepting anything less. And, these chargers need to be in the same locations pumps are now. Not some hotel parking lot in a bad part of town.

And for those of us in the north, cold weather range needs improvement too.
Many superchargers are already located at travel centres etc. People seem to be accepting them. The number one selling car in the world is electric (Tesla model Y) unseating the Toyota Corolla as the long time champ.

Many manufacturers are still ramping up production. It will be a decade or so before they are dominant. And of course the infrastructure needs to grow. Right now tesla opens a supercharger somewhere in the world every 12 hours.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:53 PM   #6

Very logical move from both companies, and the death knell for CCS1 in North America. I just hope Nissan ponies up for access to SuperChargers and an adapter becomes available.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Very logical move from both companies, and the death knell for CCS1 in North America. I just hope Nissan ponies up for access to SuperChargers and an adapter becomes available.
It wouldn’t surprise me if they work with tesla to do exactly that. We have both a tesla to Chademo and Tesla to CCS adapters. I’m sure they could do the same thing in reverse.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:51 PM   #8

Betamax versus VHS. Tesla is VHS. I'd not bet against Tesla.

(ETA: You probably need to be old to recognize Betamax.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I won’t put any links as there are so many but it will make the marginal charging experience of non teslas better…or at least for ford and GMC.

This coupled with the 420 mile range of the GM 2024 electric half tons and the expected 430 mile range of the generation 2 Ford Lightning along with the 450 mile expected range of the Tesla longer range Cybertruck should make towing viability of small to medium size travel trailers more viable for many in North America.

We have been touring for almost two weeks in BC with our Tesla and little trailer combo. We have seen more EV RV combos in the last two weeks than we did all last camping season. Mostly teslas with trailers but a lot of lightnings with smaller trailers as well. A few Rivians but not many.

Interesting times.

I've read about this briefly in the past few weeks. Unless I misunderstood, non-Tesla vehicles will be charging at much much lower speeds than any Tesla model can. I kind of remember something like the 50kw range, maybe 60kw.

Obviously a car that is slow to accept a charge, like my girlfriend's new Bolt EUV (YEAh, she FINALLY received it) will not charge any faster at a Tesla or other station than it will at a 55kw or so charger.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I've read about this briefly in the past few weeks. Unless I misunderstood, non-Tesla vehicles will be charging at much much lower speeds than any Tesla model can. I kind of remember something like the 50kw range, maybe 60kw.

Obviously a car that is slow to accept a charge, like my girlfriend's new Bolt EUV (YEAh, she FINALLY received it) will not charge any faster at a Tesla or other station than it will at a 55kw or so charger.
Correct KD. But most new EV’s with the exception of the bolt and standard leaf charge at 100 or greater speeds with some of the main players like Fords Mustang at 150 kw. and the lightning at 200 kw. Some of the cheaper mid 30’s teslas also only charge at 170 kw.

Teslas new V4 superchargers are 350 kw machines and the new Cybertruck will be able to take advantage of that with the 800 volt architecture.

I will be a constantly evolving technology. The tesla semi can charge at 1 megawatt and the Tesla mega chargers that Pepsi Frito lay has at their depots are all 750 KW machines.

Should be an interesting decade.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:05 PM   #11

Hey Radar, hope you aren't holding your breath on getting your Cyber Truck anytime soon.
Motor Trend had a pretty bad news article on it. Lots of problems.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:06 PM   #12

Wow those fast charging setups sure will put a hurting on the grid in the area. Makes the debate about Autoformers in RV parks harming neighbors seem trivial.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Hey Radar, hope you aren't holding your breath on getting your Cyber Truck anytime soon.
Motor Trend had a pretty bad news article on it. Lots of problems.
Yah I hear you. My guess is it’s 3 or 4 years away for us. Meh. Our model Y is doing a good job for us as a tow vehicle . We have been on the road for a close to three weeks or so touring thru BC and the islands. There are some advantages to the smaller battery we have compared to a truck. Pretty quick charging at DC fast chargers and mostly overnight charging at campgrounds. I’m sure infrastructure will be further along by the time we get our truck.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Betamax versus VHS. Tesla is VHS. I'd not bet against Tesla.

(ETA: You probably need to be old to recognize Betamax.)
Might very well be true. Now, when was the last time you saw a VHS tape or player? I think there is an incredibly high probability EVs as built and charged today will be obsolete with the next 10 to 20 years. Just like VHS gave way to a couple of disc players which have now all but disappeared, replaced by streaming and DVRs. The difference is tossing a VHS player in the trash doesn’t hurt like scrapping an obsolete vehicle would.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, ford, switch