Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2022, 11:08 AM   #1

Ford Escape Hybrid plug in Toad?

Researching purchase of hybrid toads. Seems Ford will allow flat towing the new 2022 Ford Escape Hybrid (plug in). Anyone done this? Yes it has a CVT transmission, but has something called a " Neutral Tow Mode". Attached pics of towing guide comments. Appreciate any comments. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220910_120520_Adobe%20Acrobat.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	376017Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220910_120609_Adobe%20Acrobat.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	376018
bsprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I hope it can be- I was planning on the plug-in version for my next toad. I just assume it has a similar transmission as the CVT in the C-Max.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #3

We have a 2022 with plugin. We did 9500 miles this summer. No issues with the escape.

I also tapped into 14kw battery thru the 12 volt system to charge RV house batteries when boondocking. Not for the faint of heart.

As a life rule I to just share my experiences and not my opinions. Any specific questions?
Old 09-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #4

Seems reasonable, not because a journalist said so but I see you included the factory recs there and that's what it appears to say. Just make sure you check the manual upon buying but I think for Ford you can trust in advance it will be what it is supposed to be. I'm still skeptical of the long term life of a modern CVT but I do own one myself and no issues.
SnowG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tskadberg View Post
We have a 2022 with plugin. We did 9500 miles this summer. No issues with the escape.

I also tapped into 14kw battery thru the 12 volt system to charge RV house batteries when boondocking. Not for the faint of heart.

As a life rule I to just share my experiences and not my opinions. Any specific questions?
Any problems with tow brackets? I'm currently using a Blue Ox tow bar. I understand one is made for the hybrid but not the plug in version .
bsprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:12 AM   #6

I have a Roadmaster baseplate. Installed myself was a two man 8 hour day. The fit was fine. No way to check the bolts after 3000 miles per roadmaster. Torqued to specs and poured loctite on them. I did have one end of the baseplate come loose after 3500 miles but I blame myself. Has now gone another 6000 miles with no issue. I plan to open it up soon to inspect bolts.

I use the Brake Buddy Stealth. I like that I can control settings on the road from the rv. The unit in the rv will tell me if the toad battery dies. I did have the toad battery die due to the rv charge line going out. Drove 15 miles with no harm. I did upgrade to the bigger AGM battery on the toad. Happy with that choice.

Id use all the same parts if i did it again.

The flat 7 pin plug for the brake system needs to be kept very clean. I had that connection get unreliable due to dirt. They sent me new parts no charge. No issues since.

I considered the surge brake system but there is no easy way to bring the cable through the firewall and a proper angle to the brake peddle.

When setting the car to tow mode there is one last step that could be forgotten and that is to turn the car off. I take a picture of the screen each time and I dont talk to anyone while setting the toad up. I also visually make sure i can see the wheels moving when we start to roll.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:19 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I was also interested in the Escape PHEV as a toad, but took one for a test drive. Its was just too small for us, we currently use a 2018 Ford Edge (for a toad) and recently bought a 2018 PHEV Outlander for our daily use (we only drive a few miles to the local village and back the majority of the time).

Ford seems to be the only one producing Hybrids or PHEV vehicles that can be towed 4 down (at a reasonable price).
The new Jeep Cherokee PHEV (at double+ the price) and Wrangler can also be towed 4 down but have a very limited EV only milage.

I know that someone on the Outlander PHEV group is seriously considering towing 4 down behind his motorhome, but there are unanswered questions regarding regeneration (the Outlander had 5 selectable modes) and a wack more questions. He has already implemented some remote controls from the motorhome so that he can control some functions if he tows.

For me towing the Outlander on a trailer is not an option (don't like the idea of a trailer either) as I'm limited to 5K lbs and the Outlander is already a heavy vehicle near that limit and a trailer would put it over the safe limit.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:42 PM   #8

2022 escape hybrid flat tow

Love our escape but the tiny 12v battery is inadequate for towing since the electric brake system drains the 12v. Solution: (2) install 12v charge line and (2) replace 12v battery with largest AGM possible. Finally got to the point where we don't need to call AAA at destination. BTW, Ford motor Co is not helpful. Neither are most dealers... they are umcomfortable with modifying hybrid...
jpraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:35 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpraats View Post
Love our escape but the tiny 12v battery is inadequate for towing since the electric brake system drains the 12v. Solution: (2) install 12v charge line and (2) replace 12v battery with largest AGM possible. Finally got to the point where we don't need to call AAA at destination. BTW, Ford motor Co is not helpful. Neither are most dealers... they are umcomfortable with modifying hybrid...
Are you saying that the vehicle brakes are draining the battery? Or are you using a system like I am - a Patriot Brake system.

In my case towing a 2018 Ford Edge I have to disconnect the vehicle battery while towing so I use a rechargeable 12v battery booster pack from Harbor Freight that has a 12v socket and put it behind the drivers seat and plug the Patriot system into it. It provides plenty of power for the brake system. I charge it each night and has never run out of juice yet.
It could also be plugged into a 12v outlet and keep your vehicle battery charged.

Chris
Old 10-17-2022, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
We were having problems with the vehicle going into deep sleep mode. We could generally still start the car. Bought a jump start pack. This problem was regardless of whether we were towing. We have a charge line. We asked the Ford dealer about a larger battery and they were of no help. Gots lots of info on a Ford Escape forum. We installed the larger AGM battery and have had no recurrence of the problem or any other problems. Changing the battery was about a 10-15 minute job.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:12 AM   #11

Patriot system pushes on the Escape's brake which in turn uses Escape's battery power thus draining little 12v battery. Just returned from 1800 mile trip to NC and TN, and a 1300 mile, 3 stop trip from ATL to Florida without issues after replacing stock battery with larger AGM plus rvi charge line. The real test of course will be towing into mountainous terrain with more braking required. But, I am optimistic based on latest results.
jpraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:50 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Patriot system pushes on the Escape's brake which in turn uses Escape's battery power thus draining little 12v battery. Just returned from 1800 mile trip to NC and TN, and a 1300 mile, 3 stop trip from ATL to Florida without issues after replacing stock battery with larger AGM plus rvi charge line. The real test of course will be towing into mountainous terrain with more braking required. But, I am optimistic based on latest results.
Yeah, I had that happen on my previous toad, a 2013 Ford Edge where I did not have to disconnect the vehicle battery and the Patriot system would also drain the battery. I carried a small car charger with battery boost and had to use it quite often when I got to the campground.. On my current toad I installed a battery disconnect switch (as required in the owners manual) and with the jump pack everything is OK. Of course I had to add external lights with the vehicle battery disconnected and since most of the back roof is plastic I jury rigged a roof bar to hold the lights.

I've been in talks with my local Ford dealer on a 2023 Escape PHEV, they can take names but their order system is not yet open. I've read that initial production has been delayed by 6 weeks to the middle of December.

I'd like to get a PHEV as I have one now (Outlander -can't be towed) and have gotten used to not having to gas up very often. Ford is still the only option.

Chris
Old 10-18-2022, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:
On our most recent trip we crossed over 8 mountain passes, as well as numerous other areas of mountainous terrain. The RVi system also pushes on the brake. We have the larger AGM battery plus the RVi charge line and had no issues.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
We were having problems with the vehicle going into deep sleep mode. We could generally still start the car. Bought a jump start pack. This problem was regardless of whether we were towing. We have a charge line. We asked the Ford dealer about a larger battery and they were of no help. Gots lots of info on a Ford Escape forum. We installed the larger AGM battery and have had no recurrence of the problem or any other problems. Changing the battery was about a 10-15 minute job.

Same here much better now.

Tags
ford, toad