Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycamper View Post
Straw man arguments can be fun, agreed. Given that this is an RV forum, let’s focus on road transportation, rather than remote power needs and aviation. And forget “renewable” too. I work in the nuclear power industry.

So back to my point, there are viable alternatives to petroleum-derived gasoline and diesel. We should save hydrocarbons for their many other uses.
Not sure that 'viable alternative' is there based on current technology, eventually yes, but the danger is moving away from proven sources of energy into less dependable alternatives that destabilizes world economies, decreases food production resulting in starvation and creates social unrest that tears at the very fabric of society.

What is happening overseas is a prime example of moving too fast and not letting the current technological level dictate the implementation of alternative streams of energy that have been beta tested and proven reliable. Fossil fuels are nothing but the evidence that nature is the ultimate source of storing renewable energy in a cost effective manner that has a very favorable impact on the survival of all humanity in converting CO2 into O2 and storing energy from sunlight in a manner that lasts for eons of time. Man has a lot to learn and we are not there yet to move away from fossil fuels except in small incremental steps, but that will not stop us because we have always thought we had all of the answers.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 03:02 PM   #16

Let me know when we have so much excess nuclear generated electricity that we can afford to waste it on automotive transportation. Then we can talk about EVs.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:33 PM   #17

So your the guy that let's the Genie out of the bottle but will never put it back in.
I'm talking about warming the environment with your broken atoms. Yeah, the ones you can't transform back. At least with chemical energy the carbon atom is recycled, recombined to do the magic over and over again.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:24 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
I read a lot about the coming EV revolution in transportation, including motor homes (almost all class b). What is seldom mentioned is production dates and cost. The successful electric cars are premium priced and very heavy. Not sure there’s to many buyers out there for a $250,000(?)+ van camper. From the linked article:

“Not surprisingly, potential shoppers for this kind of vehicle have high expectations—ones that might not be entirely in alignment with today’s battery and charging technology, at the desired price point. “

I think the EV motor home will be parked next to my flying car
(also coming in 2 years).
Old 05-17-2022, 03:23 AM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tesla just started taking deposits for it's semi truck. They run $150,000 for the one that has a range of 300 miles, and one that costs $180,000 and has a range of 500 miles. Tesla says the four motors turning the two back axles can get a fully loaded, 80,000-pound Semi and trailer to 60 miles per hour in under 20 seconds, and be able to get that maxed-out truck up a 5% grade at 60 miles per hour.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Tesla just started taking deposits for it's semi truck. They run $150,000 for the one that has a range of 300 miles, and one that costs $180,000 and has a range of 500 miles. Tesla says the four motors turning the two back axles can get a fully loaded, 80,000-pound Semi and trailer to 60 miles per hour in under 20 seconds, and be able to get that maxed-out truck up a 5% grade at 60 miles per hour.
Where and for how long does it recharge? Time is money to a truck owner.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Where and for how long does it recharge? Time is money to a truck owner.
Based on the threads relating to charging EVs at campgrounds it will about as simple as plugging it in to a USB charging port. I mean the trucking company likely already has a coffee maker, so upgrading to charging stations for these semis will be easy and cost free.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #22

Companies like Tesla are certainly making fantastic improvements in technology and hopefully providing opportunities for a viable addition to energy alternatives. As stated, the real challenge will be the down time needed to recharge and the availability of charging stations, something that can be addressed given sufficient time and resources. But, based on the warnings from several states that they expect rolling power outages due to high demand this summer, I hope they address the supply of electricity before they role out another major consumer of a very limited supply.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Certainly not!!! This thread alone depends on fossil fuel in every aspect imaginable. So does your health and well-being! Petroleum is the feedstock for too many things to ever cover them all here.
And most all would be off-topic here on iRV2.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:18 PM   #24

More of the same old Luddite postings of the same old "it'll never work, man wasn't meant to fly" arguments.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:26 PM   #25

Fully electric RV's are coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
More of the same old Luddite postings of the same old "it'll never work, man wasn't meant to fly" arguments.

When cell phones were new, I worked selling and installing them in vehicles. I heard the same thing then. “It’s an unsustainable fad” “useless toy” even my realtor neighbor said “that’s what I have an answering machine for”

Let them be. It’s simpler that way.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #26

I'm still waiting for my Mr. Fusion and Hoverboard...both should have been available in 2015. Then I could have a fusion powered motorhome that hovers.

hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 04:40 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This has been discussed many times on IRV2.

Much of the negatives points are basically FUD, at least in my opinion.

Are electric EV in general really ready for the big time, not quite yet. We do need some significant increases in energy density of the battery packs. But progress is being made steadily. There are many high end research labs across the globe and way too much money to be made for the team that gets the big break through for it not to be accomplished.

Most new technology is meet with those who say it's only a fad, it will pass, No way it can work, etc. If you look at the transition from horse and buggy to early automobiles in say 1920 there was not any real infrastructure to support this new auto things. There were very few roads suitable for cars to even travel on, very limited /fuel production, service stations, etc. For sure there were many doubters back then.

Look at most any modern electronics we all enjoy today, our computers, cell phone smart coffee makers, etc, etc. There were plenty of people saying no way in various ways. The iPad is one of best examples of how a new product was kick around even by the technology industry. A solution looking for a problem was a common comment.

EVs are already a major factor in many areas of the world and working just fine. Just try taking one away from EV owners. Do we have hurdles to get over, indeed. We got the moon and back within ten years when no one knew even how to do it EVs are not that big of a step forward.

I would expect early all electric RVs to be in the Class B and C niche. Electric semis will likely first be used for the end mile delivery needs. Think daily short hauls where the truck returns to its depot every night. It has plenty of time to recharge in the off hours. As battery density improves they will likely move slowly in to longer haul trucks.

Many people like to cite issues with present day lithium batteries. OK, there are some issues. But there is no reason to believe that the big game changer will even use current lithium battery technology. That's what all those research labs are working on. If you can not prove something can not be done, then the assumption should be that it can be done. How about aircraft or space travel?

It's sort of like a horse race, why can't the horse with the longest odds win?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:13 PM   #28

Hyping unproven technology while disparaging existing technology on which the masses depend is a form of FUD, in my opinion.

Tags
electric, rvs