Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 09:01 PM   #29

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Hyping unproven technology while disparaging existing technology on which the masses depend is a form of FUD, in my opinion.

We are both entitled to our opinions.

We all live with only existing technology. I do not disparage existing technology. But I strongly believe that most everything, technology wise at least, is constantly changing. All one needs to do is look at rate of technological changes in the past ten years vs prior decade periods. The key is how quickly the rate of change is accelerating with each decade. It is this steady technological change I base my opinions that technology problems will be solved. The much larger doubt I have is how fast can our culture change to accept these technological advances.

I'm one of those folks that believe if you envision something and create a series of SMART goals you achieve almost anything. Look at SpaceX for example.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 07:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
We are both entitled to our opinions.

We all live with only existing technology. I do not disparage existing technology. But I strongly believe that most everything, technology wise at least, is constantly changing. All one needs to do is look at rate of technological changes in the past ten years vs prior decade periods. The key is how quickly the rate of change is accelerating with each decade. It is this steady technological change I base my opinions that technology problems will be solved. The much larger doubt I have is how fast can our culture change to accept these technological advances.

I'm one of those folks that believe if you envision something and create a series of SMART goals you achieve almost anything. Look at SpaceX for example.
Space X leaves the Earth on chemically propelled rockets. Much like those of young Dr. Goddard.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Space X leaves the Earth on chemically propelled rockets. Much like those of young Dr. Goddard.

I admit I don’t keep up with such things but I was surprised to learn that rocket technology hasn’t evolved since 1926. Seems odd.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:04 AM   #32

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I think we are drifting off into space here.

My entire reason to use SpaceX as an example is how they develop and operate boosters and spacecraft. Before SpaceX we did not really have any rockets that could be reused, at least as quickly as SpaceX does it. They adopted a development model to build a prototype to test a particular set of changes. As long as they get the data wanted a crash landing was still a success. Their entire rocket and spacecraft program is radically different from what has been used before. Starlink is just another example of the success of their development approach. No one else has been able to provide the kind and quality of service they are doing.

The point is SpaceX had some visions and went about solving one technical issues after another until the achieved what they envisioned. Most what SpaceX does today was unproven technology a few years back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Rockets are fairly simple things. The wheel and rope haven't changed much either, but the technology to produce them and used with them has changed constantly. Rockets aren't the only thing that will get you into space, and like ICEs, will eventually be replaced. You can build yourself a rocket or a wheel or a rope in your backyard, but none of them are going on my rig. I fully expect that my next rig has the potential of being electric though, or rocket powered, one of the two.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #34

It's almost a guaranteed certainty that when the brownouts and rolling blackouts begin this summer the BEVS will suffer. I hope no one dies from the heat because a BEV needed a charge.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #35

It seems foolish to put electric cars on the grid when the grid can't even handle existing loads. It makes much more sense to use ICEVs, especially since they are much more energy efficient than BEVs.

ICEV's are not going away. BEVs will be going away.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:25 AM   #36

Quote:
It's almost a guaranteed certainty that when the brownouts and rolling blackouts begin this summer the BEVS will suffer. I hope no one dies from the heat because a BEV needed a charge.
I don’t know. Most gas vehicles we have had don’t like to be idled for long periods in really hot temps. BEV’s do it with no problem. Personally I would rather sit on a traffic jam in a BEV than any gasser I have had.

Brown outs and rolling blackouts shouldn’t be a problem. Most people charge at night and start every day with a full “tank”. Most gas stations that I have seen don’t work well without power either.

Lots of misinformation out there.

Jmho.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #37

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

If we do have power outages this summer some people may die for a variety of reasons. I suspect if you examine the power consumed by air conditioning greatly exceeds that used by charging EVs. Most of which are charged at night. I doubt that data would show potential power outages will be caused by EV charging.

We could reduce the power grid load by reducing the amount of cooling we use, turn off more lights and turn of our computers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-19-2022, 11:43 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
If we do have power outages this summer some people may die for a variety of reasons. I suspect if you examine the power consumed by air conditioning greatly exceeds that used by charging EVs. Most of which are charged at night. I doubt that data would show potential power outages will be caused by EV charging.

We could reduce the power grid load by reducing the amount of cooling we use, turn off more lights and turn of our computers.
Not WE. Say "I". And convince us you mean it! But I'll not give up my utilitarian electrical needs for your BEV.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #39

California electricity demand peaks around 7:00 PM, Most people come home from work and plug in before that.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
California electricity demand peaks around 7:00 PM, Most people come home from work and plug in before that.
Agreed. When we were working we were usually plugged in by 5:30. But the timer didn’t start the charging process till 1 in the morning. It was typically fine between 2 and 3 o’clock in the morning.

Is we are retired. The car is plugged in most nights. Timers are still set the same.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #41

Once upon a time I would have agreed with a EV/RV future. The tech actually was a perfect fit, extremely high tourqe and very little pollution. Not to mention almost unlimited boondocking..a truly self sustainable commodity. Fascinating.

Watching Tesla design and build the electric semi was very interesting, another natural fit. So much so the trucking industry stood in line just waiting to order fleets of tractors, yet it did not happen.

As frustrating as this may sound it was simply a matter of economics, one tractor uses 3 or more batteries, that meant 3 less autos. Do keep in mind Tesla enjoys a very handsome reward on each and every vehicle it sells, with world wide EV demand exceeding production capacity (battery) the EV semi was put on hold.

This world wide demand has presented many issues for manufacturing, supply,cost and technology. To add to these issues the EU countries now are in a desperate spot for large battery capacity...that will place further demands on battery manufacturing, again straining raw materials and supply.

The industry moved very fast, incredibly fast. It's now time for it to mature and build some foundational guidelines. It will be fascinating to watch, how and where it all ends who knows.

A long time ago I remember quite distinctively my first Razor phone, my thoughts went to startrek. That little communicator that fascinated me as a child..Speaking of children about that time my children insisted they needed cell phones. The oldest was 16, at the that moment I did not get it. No phones for teeny boppers, until I was informed texting was the new form of building bonds with there peers. I just blinked,looked at my wife and said...we have come all this way, I now have a star trek communicator and they want to dumb it down to the telegraph!...Today we have the world wide web, social networking it's almost mind numbing. Speaking for myself where this EV phenomenon ends will be the ongoing adventure.
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #42

Did you know that Tesla has never made money by selling cars? They make their money by selling CAFE credits to makers of ICE cars. When you purchase an ICE vehicle you are paying several thousands of dollars more for it because of the CAFE standards, and that extra money is going to makers of EVs. The CAFE credit system is laced with fraud, starting with the EPA's MPGe rating on the window sticker. If the window sticker says your EV is getting 100 MPGe, what it really means is that, after accounting for the efficiency of the electric grid of only 35%, you are only getting 35 MPG. This makes EVs look better than ICEVs and results in money being taken out of your pocket and handed over to EV makers without you even realizing it.

Tags
electric, rvs