Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 08:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Ran across this article about Next Energy ONE's battery that nearly doubled the range of a Tesla to 792 miles.

I'm hoping that in 2-3-4 years we will see a 500 mile range Class A /C motorhome.

We want our 2006 Flair to last about that long, then switch to an EV.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...r-next-energy/
Definitely interesting. Thanks for posting. Would love to see how they did it. Power density has about quadrupled in the last 11 years as far as battery size in EV’s go. This indicates there is still room for improvement.

I would be curious in two things.

1. Is heat mitigation as good as the original Tesla 425 mile pack.

2. Were they able to maintain compatibility with the Supercharger network.

I am looking forward to learning more about the new 4650 batteries From Tesla that will be used in the Cybertruck and Tesla Semi. Should be an incremental next step.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 08:47 AM   #16

No mention of original cost, life expentancy, or replacement cost. Or who is bankrolling the research.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
No mention of original cost, life expentancy, or replacement cost. Or who is bankrolling the research.
Yah I saw that. I would think it’s more of a test case etc. The practicality of a 700 mile range is questionable for most people’s needs. But I’m sure there is a niche market where larger budgets are common. Also would be handy for towing.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:07 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
For all you Debbie Downers:

1. An EV powered MH is not for everyone.

2. Electric motors convert over 85 percent of electrical energy into mechanical energy, compared to less than 40 percent for a ICE.

3. I am speculating:
A. Most/Many RVer's do not drive 500 miles a day.
B. Charging will usually be accomplished while on shore power in a campground.

4. At least where I live, solar farms are springing up everywhere.

https://www.seia.org/solar-industry-research-data
Old 01-17-2022, 11:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
For all you Debbie Downers:

1. An EV powered MH is not for everyone.

2. Electric motors convert over 85 percent of electrical energy into mechanical energy, compared to less than 40 percent for a ICE.

3. I am speculating:
A. Most/Many RVer's do not drive 500 miles a day.
B. Charging will usually be accomplished while on shore power in a campground.

4. At least where I live, solar farms are springing up everywhere.

https://www.seia.org/solar-industry-research-data
The generation, transmission, storage and conversion of electrical energy has a very long way to go before it ever equals ICE power.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:34 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Some of you are falling behind. Technology is moving fast and the technology is here now to build an EV powered MH. We are just waiting for it to happen.

The 2022 f150 extended range Lightning is rated at 563hp/765tq and a 300 mile range.

Compare that to the 350hp/468tq the 7.3 puts out.

The RV market will explode once EV powered MHs start hitting the road. Even a plug-in hybrid would be a vast improvement over what we have now.

As the price at the pump climbs, we get closer to an EV powered RV.

I invested in gas, oil, solar, Thor, Winnebago, Camping World and Rev last year and will continue to add this year.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
The generation, transmission, storage and conversion of electrical energy has a very long way to go before it ever equals ICE power.
I bet you were a fan of Betamax and HD DVD as well. Technology isn't static. Saying electrical infrastructure has a long way to go means nothing without addressing how quickly the technology is advancing. Inexpensive wind and solar are already taking over the power generation market. PJM is seeking a moratorium on new renewable grid connections because it can't handle the volume. Cheaper storage options are being developed and scaling up. The transmission system still needs to be addressed, but cheaper storage will help with that by storing energy until there is adequate transmission capability. The federal gov't is pumping 5B into expanding EV charging networks and the states won't pass on that money. The next five years are going to see a huge expansion of EVs in mobility applications.

The thing no one is talking about that we should be discussing is what is going to happen to the mechanics and other ICE industry participants, such as dealerships, parts suppliers, and their employees. EVs are far less complex and take less labor and fewer parts to assemble. That's a huge loss of employment for a substantial pool of workers. Dealerships generate a substantial revenue from after sale maintenance. My EV doesn't have any recommended maintenance, apart from inspection, until 150K. When you see an elected official talking about this, instead of putting their head in the sand and trying to forestall the electric transition, that's the person you should listen more closely to because they're being honest about the impact this transition will have.
Jghall00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jghall00 View Post
I bet you were a fan of Betamax and HD DVD as well. Technology isn't static. Saying electrical infrastructure has a long way to go means nothing without addressing how quickly the technology is advancing. Inexpensive wind and solar are already taking over the power generation market. PJM is seeking a moratorium on new renewable grid connections because it can't handle the volume. Cheaper storage options are being developed and scaling up. The transmission system still needs to be addressed, but cheaper storage will help with that by storing energy until there is adequate transmission capability. The federal gov't is pumping 5B into expanding EV charging networks and the states won't pass on that money. The next five years are going to see a huge expansion of EVs in mobility applications.

The thing no one is talking about that we should be discussing is what is going to happen to the mechanics and other ICE industry participants, such as dealerships, parts suppliers, and their employees. EVs are far less complex and take less labor and fewer parts to assemble. That's a huge loss of employment for a substantial pool of workers. Dealerships generate a substantial revenue from after sale maintenance. My EV doesn't have any recommended maintenance, apart from inspection, until 150K. When you see an elected official talking about this, instead of putting their head in the sand and trying to forestall the electric transition, that's the person you should listen more closely to because they're being honest about the impact this transition will have.
Given the market exploitations and off-shore dealings of the current crop of politicians, your last line is a joke of the week winner, for sure. Have a nice day.
Old 02-15-2022, 06:35 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Like the title of the thread states....we are getting closer.
I'm 66 and am confident I will drive an all electric class A at some point.

We all should be happy the grid is getting cleaner and the advances in Battery/solar tech continue.

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/re...lectricity.php
Old 02-15-2022, 01:33 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
EV's are progressing at an amazing rate.

The misinformation being stated in opposition is very telling. Almost like some people feel the need to be defensive about their ICE.

We have had an electric car for 4 years. It is charged almost exclusively by our home solar panels. All electricity in BC is hydro electric. No fossil fuels are involved at all. We also have a surplus that is exported to the US.

And now, there are directly solar powered vehicles entering the market.

Considering the huge area on the roof of an RV, solar generation of enough electricity should be easily achieved soon.

Currently, recharging a Tesla in BC is a no waiting in line situation. And it takes me 20 minutes for a full charge from a Superstation. I realize an RV would take longer. Probably 40 - 60.

I'm interested to see how quickly EV RV's become mainstream.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin44 View Post
Currently, recharging a Tesla in BC is a no waiting in line situation. And it takes me 20 minutes for a full charge from a Superstation.
I was under the impression that a 20 minute charge at a superstation only charged an EV to about 70% and a charge to 100% required an overnight charge. That is what I read about 6 months ago. Is that incorrect?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 04:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I was under the impression that a 20 minute charge at a superstation only charged an EV to about 70% and a charge to 100% required an overnight charge. That is what I read about 6 months ago. Is that incorrect?
That’s incorrect...mostly. We don’t usually spend 20 minutes at a supercharger but if we did I would say your 70 percent number may be sort of right. It’s hard to say because we have never charged from zero. We tend to drive on the top 2/3 of the battery so we are never at zero when we start charging. I think the lowest we have ever pulled into a V3 supercharger was 18 percent. We were there for about 15 minutes and hit the road at around 80 percent so I would think your 20 minute number is mostly correct in that situation. We are usually only at a supercharger for the time it takes to pee and refill the coffee cups etc so can’t say I have ever waited to full.

The overnight to a 100 percent thing is if you are charging on an L2 charge station line at home or a hotel. On a V3 supercharger I don’t care what you arrive with you’ll be done in under an hour. That last 5 percent goes pretty slow though, that’s why nobody does it...except if you are having lunch...then you sort of count on it so you don’t get charged idle fees. .

All numbers given are from personal experience with our EV model. Different EV’s have different charge times.

Cheers.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I would say your 70 percent number may be sort of right.
If that is the case, then what we really have is something like 70% of the stated range for a full battery (because no one runs until it is completely empty) and then 70% of 70% for a "refill". So if a battery gives you 400 mile range what you can realistically use is 70% of that, or 280 miles before you stop for more power, and then 70% of the 70% refill, or about 200 miles.

I guess that is not too bad for a car, but I assume an RV will require a lot longer for a 70% charge.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
If that is the case, then what we really have is something like 70% of the stated range for a full battery (because no one runs until it is completely empty) and then 70% of 70% for a "refill". So if a battery gives you 400 mile range what you can realistically use is 70% of that, or 280 miles before you stop for more power, and then 70% of the 70% refill, or about 200 miles.

I guess that is not too bad for a car, but I assume an RV will require a lot longer for a 70% charge.
Hmmm. I’m not sure I would agree with that. It’s hard to nail down because it’s not linear. I’ll see if I can give an example of a long travel day that may better explain it. And remember this is just how we travel so not necessarily applicable to everyone.

Every morning we start out at 100 percent wether it’s from home or the hotel charge station. Lots of coffee with breakfast and guaranteed we are stopping within 2 to 3 hours. Let’s say we are at 50 percent when we pull in to pee and refill the coffee. (We always charge when stopped). Ten or 12 minutes later on the road and probably around 80 percent ish. Good for 3 hours before lunch. At lunch maybe down around 30 percent ish. 20 minutes (or less) for all the bio needs and back on the road and probably back around 85 percent. And so on and so on. We are never waiting for a battery to charge. It’s just part of the daily stops.

Now it gets different if using non tesla public chargers as many are slower, it takes time to use the app to pay, some are broken, whole different experience. With a Tesla just plug in and walk away with your coffee cup. The payment is all automatic as the car communicates with the charger and bills your credit card.

We sometimes pick slower non tesla public chargers for a sit down lunch because there is no chance of hitting 100 percent and getting idle charges. Especially the 50 kw units although apparently they are starting to be phased out. Still lots in BC though.

Not sure that helped. Like I say, everbody travels different. My bladder is not the same as thirty years ago so younger folks might not like my schedule. .

Cheers. Safe travels.

On edit. Just reading my post. I think I suck at explaining this. If it’s not clear let me know and I’ll try a different approach. Like I said. It’s not linear. Charging below 50 percent is super fast. Then a little slower to 80 and so on and so on.