Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2022, 02:25 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post

Don't forget Texas, whose power grid fails regularly in the Sumer and winter...

It's the fault of all those lectric cars plugged in!

Lol
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2022, 03:08 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
It's the fault of all those lectric cars plugged in!

Lol
Don’t forget all the hair dryers for those big hair Texas women……
Old 10-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #129

CA transmission GRID is overtasked ....has been since the 1980's when the Utility Companies made the decision to change the 'line overload relay settings' higher to handle the higher loads.
Then again in the late 1990's they increased the settings again>

WHY did they raise the settings on line protection.........cause they could not build new transmission lines throughout the state
Some limited new transmission lines were built but large scale upgrades were not done due to NIMBY

Then in early 2000's they SOLD their power plants to outside entities.
Wasn't too many years later some new power plants were fast tracked due to need for increased generation
Once the New entities had made pockets full of money...after repayment of monies that they paid for the power plants...they shut them down because they were costly to maintain due to age/technology and they were having to abide by new regulations/oversight that had been abandoned when 'deregulation' occurred.

CA still has transmission/grid issues ........NIMBY
But with Interties with MX, AZ, UT, MT, OR, BC energy flows until??????

TX has transmission/generation issues because the state of TX chose to be Independent Electric System and not have interties with others

Just opinion from an old power plant operator
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 03:14 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
EVs have voltage and ground sensing at the charge plug. They obviously won't work if the car is submerged, but then, neither will a gas or diesel work well if the filler neck is submerged eh?

So many naysayers here, it's kind of discouraging. It'll be interesting to see what these folks are posting when they're surrounded by EVs and even bigger EVs like HD trucks and such.

I imagine folks heard this all 125 years ago when they were replacing the horse and buggy with EVs, and then later replacing the EVs with gas or diesel engines.
Agreed! A lot of folks don't seem to have much confidence in infrastructure innovation. Sure, there are obstacles to be overcome in the build-out of charging stations, in next gen batteries, upgraded and expanded power grids and the like, but nothing that we won't solve. We have to start somewhere, and infrastructure improvements are rarely if ever made in advance of need. Solar and storage will be key.

EV owners must also pay their share to maintain our roads and bridges, the way that buyers of gas/diesel pay state and federal taxes. This part needs to be worked out. (Just wait to hear the comments about "yet another tax", but all users of public roads should contribute to their maintenance.

We don't yet own an EV (no need for a new vehicle at the moment,) but the day will come.
Finally_Able is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 03:24 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Like this place?

It's kind of an ironic metaphor, though -- flooding is caused by more severe storms, which are increasingly caused by human-induced climate change. (And science doesn't care whether we agree on this issue.)

EVs are the inevitable answer.
Finally_Able is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 03:31 PM   #132

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally_Able View Post
Agreed! A lot of folks don't seem to have much confidence in infrastructure innovation. Sure, there are obstacles to be overcome in the build-out of charging stations, in next gen batteries, upgraded and expanded power grids and the like, but nothing that we won't solve. We have to start somewhere, and infrastructure improvements are rarely if ever made in advance of need. Solar and storage will be key.

EV owners must also pay their share to maintain our roads and bridges, the way that buyers of gas/diesel pay state and federal taxes. This part needs to be worked out. (Just wait to hear the comments about "yet another tax", but all users of public roads should contribute to their maintenance.

We don't yet own an EV (no need for a new vehicle at the moment,) but the day will come.

Our state already has a road tax for EVs. We have two systems, a prepaid plan at a set rate based on an average number of miles (10,500, I think) or you can pay based on how many miles you actually drive each year.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
Yes. You are exaggerating to make EVs look better than they are. First of all, you cannot use free or stolen electricity in your calculations because that would amount to a subsidy. Other subsidies would include road tax and charger installation costs that are funded by ratepayers or directly by government grants.

I have seen charge stations selling electricity at $0.59 per KWH. Why not use that and forget about the "free" campground electricity?

What is the electricity consumption of a Tesla towing a 14k lb trailer? I would like to see a test report on that. If it's anything like the F-150 lightning you will not even be able to go 100 miles.

I wouldn't recommend towing a 14k lb RV on the highway with a truck as small as a Cybertruck. It would be too unstable. Figure on 7k lbs. as a typical tow. I towed a 7k lb travel trailer with a 3 liter diesel and averaged 16.5 MPG. Also my last diesel fill-up was $4.39 per gallon, less $0.65 road tax which you are either paying with your registration fee or getting it subsidized. Cost of fuel only = $3.74. Total cost for a 360 mile trip: $3.74 x 360/16.5= $81.60, not $270 as you posted.
Maybe you should read again because you obviously missed the boat. I even posted the calculation. I used 8.5 cents for off peak electricity which is my exact rate. That would be the same rate for a campground would pay in MD for off oeak. I didnt use any “free” electricity. In fact with a level 2 charger my rate is actually $0.04 cents.

I find it fairly humorous that you are challenging the savings of electric transport vs Diesel a day after Tesla just announced the 12/1 delivery date for the Pepsico semi trucks which are designed to hail 20 tons, not the 7 ton rating of the cybertruck. The savings is estimated to be almost $200,000 vs their diesel equivalent. I guess all these companies accountants are wrong as well. Obviously with your weight comment you know nothing about electric vehicles as they weigh much more than their gas equivalents and that weight is almost all at the bottom significantly shifting the CG lower increasing stability.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/tes...si-51665130423
Cherokee180C is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 05:00 PM   #134

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
No one is forcing anything down anyone's throat. You can buy whatever fuel source you prefer. When/if that really changes, it''ll be no different than when they outlawed leaded gas.

No, we are still waiting on delivery of our Bolt EUV. That would actually be my GFs car, not mine. My Suburban makes a grand total of 600-1000km yearly just to keep it functional. My Sierra is my tow pig, and 75-80% of its use is hauling the RV and/or materials or a work trailer. Why?

Who said an EV is zero emissions? It is true that the VEHICLE is zero emissions, as it has no tailpipe and doesn't spew out any gases or liquids. Remote emissions from any type of power plant, even coal powered, are better than what any ICE vehicle can output. An EV emits nothing in traffic, idling, driving.

Infrastructure is so weak in the USA, it needs a revamp anyway. It'll have to happen no matter what. As it stands today, power generation in the southeast USA will need to be reconfigured. If there's money to be made, and there will be, someone will step in and fix that. If a small (population-wise) country like Canada can produce clean energy over such a wide and sparsely populated area, surely the good ole USA can do the same?

Actually the current govt. Along with some states are forcing this electric car issue down the throats with state and federal tax dollars, mandates for emissions , etc. Electric is fine for some but do not mandate this
Schask is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #135

More support for the fact that my numbers were very close in magnitude to the reality of Electric truck costs vs. Diesel. These numbers were done $2.50 / gallon. There are valid arguments against electric trucks right now. Range, and time to charge vs. fill up, but with the speed of battery technology improvement both will be gone within a few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FCC4068-DF49-45A7-B150-2CC9A65D82FE.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	378171  
Old 10-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post

Don't forget Texas, whose power grid fails regularly in the Sumer and winter...
This was one of our hottest summers and we had zero problems.
Nice try.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:25 PM   #137

Quote:
It's kind of an ironic metaphor, though -- flooding is caused by more severe storms, which are increasingly caused by human-induced climate change.
Total bull crap.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:29 PM   #138

Quote:

It is also ironic that the naysayers are choosing electric car submerged in water fire stories to try to discredit the technology when Elon just announce this week that the Cybertruck is actually waterproof enough to serve as a boat in limited performance scenarios. Yes, literally cross a 50’deep channel.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/13...ybertruck-boat
Old 10-07-2022, 09:06 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
This was one of our hottest summers and we had zero problems.
Nice try.
You are correct. There is confusion between warnings to prepare people for a problem and actually problems.

The US has a very reliable grid. It takes a series of improbable and unrelated events to cause problems like in Texas last winter and in Califonia in 2000/2001.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:44 PM   #140

Interesting that a 50 Mile interval is in the works. If you look at some god forsaken state like South Dakota you'll notice that the towns are already spaced at about that interval. Wonder why? It's because the Steam Locomotive only held enough water (energy) to cover that distance...Curious...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foresaken.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	378193  

Tags
charging