Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2022, 11:56 PM   #141

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some people seem to think that the infrastructure, power generation and grid, need to be in place before EVs become common. As I understand when ICE vehicles started to become popular about 100 years ago there was not an oil production system nor customer delivery system already in place. All three developed together to what we have today.

The big difference for introduction of ICE or EVs was/is the sheer number of people and their density patterns. It was far simpler in 1920 to develop an oil field, refining and distribution systems than companies can expand power generation and grid systems. Seems that companies are held back today because of legal risks, returns to investors, etc. Along with nobody wanting any power generation or distribution in their backyard. With or without EVs these issues remain to be solved just to keep pace with our growing population.

IMO- the technology side of EVs can be solved the harder problem is the political and social issues.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2022, 12:56 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawdustRadio View Post
The electric power grid is designed for peak use. Typically 6-9 am and 5-9 pm. Most EVs charge at night when lots of excess electric power is being thrown away. So EVs do not affect the grid much at peak hours. Long term they will even help the grid by selling back stored power during peak times. This tech is called vehicle-to-grid, V2G. Tesla Virtual Power Plant, VPP, started doing something similar this summer with their Powerwalls. My son got $2 per kWh selling back power at peak times. The Ford Lighting can already pump 110/220 VAC and run an average home in the US for 3 days. So no, EVs will not affect the grid as Big Oil has misled many with this fear. My Model 3 adds just $25-$35 per month to my electric bill based on a 50 mile round trip commute 5 days a week plus typical running around town. It actually uses much less power than my 4 ton AC during summer months.
Your "excess power" can NOT come from any solar, at night there ISN'T ANY!. Wind power only happens with WIND. This too, is not constant! You would HAVE to rely upon <GASP!> FOSSIL FUEL GENERATORS! At present, this is about SEVENTY PERCENT of our total power! Solar/wind only produces about 10%, AT OPTIMUM TIMES! The rest? Hydro and nuclear. [moderator edit] SHRIEK about nuclear, so no new ones have been built for DECADES! And hydro? Water storage is down to the MUD in the west! [moderator edit]
mogul264 is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 01:27 AM   #143

I love hotdogs, DW DESPISES them. Every couple of weeks I have hotdogs for supper. DW eats something that she prefers. We don't call each other names or try to convince the other to like what we like. Just sayin.
Bt bruiser is online now   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 01:38 AM   #144

50 years from now there will be no such thing as a battery powered RV. People will look back and laugh at the idea that such a preposterous contraption was ever contemplated. I think its possible there may be hydrogen powered RVs one day but that will depend on the progress of nuclear power, i.e., maybe in 100 years. More likely though there will be no RVs at all by then. People will be sitting in their basements and travelling with their virtual reality headsets.
move on is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 08:17 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Total bull crap.
LOL. You deliberately left out my next sentence:

(And science doesn't care whether we agree on this issue.)

We must agree that climate change is a problem. I'm curious to hear your solutions to it.
Finally_Able is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 08:32 AM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogul264 View Post
Your "excess power" can NOT come from any solar, at night there ISN'T ANY!. Wind power only happens with WIND. This too, is not constant! You would HAVE to rely upon <GASP!> FOSSIL FUEL GENERATORS! At present, this is about SEVENTY PERCENT of our total power! Solar/wind only produces about 10%, AT OPTIMUM TIMES! The rest? Hydro and nuclear. Liberals SHRIEK about nuclear, so no new ones have been built for DECADES! And hydro? Water storage is down to the MUD in the west! Any possibility of all e-vehicles only WON'T happen in Biden's lifetime, probably 50 years or so in the future, IF THEN!
You're forgetting an important component of this transition, but the answer is in your flashlight. *Batteries* will help bridge the gap. There must be many sources of electricity, but to solve the climate problem created by our dependence on fossil fuels, FF must take a much smaller role.

[Moderator Edit]
Finally_Able is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #147

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sports teams win when everyone is playing together with a common goal. They lose when players are doing their own thing.

Same in politics and society in general.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
This has been coming for awhile. Final approval to fund EV charging stations every 50 miles along highways happened yesterday.

https://news.yahoo.com/states-final-...130035102.html
This program will be de-funded after the mid-terms with a new Speaker of the House. And that is a good thing. EV's carbon footprint is just as large at ICE vehicles.
jimheiner is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimheiner View Post
This program will be de-funded after the mid-terms with a new Speaker of the House. And that is a good thing. EV's carbon footprint is just as large at ICE vehicles.
Actually the carbon footprint of a BEV is greater than that of a hybrid or a modern diesel. Once people realize this the subsidies are going to end.
move on is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #150
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
THREAD WARNING

The subject of the thread is EV charging, not politics. Letís get back on topic so that we can keep the thread open.
TonyDi is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 11:20 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally_Able View Post
LOL. You deliberately left out my next sentence:

(And science doesn't care whether we agree on this issue.)

We must agree that climate change is a problem. I'm curious to hear your solutions to it.
You are correct, the climate is changing but then again, the climate has been changing for centuries. A changing climate is nothing new. The only thing that is new is this insane idea we can stop it. Humans and animals have adapted to the changes ever since there was life on earth.

The idea that running around driving little battery powered cars will stop the climate from changing is well delusional. If we want to move to electric fine but stop this panic nonsense and don't force it down the throats of the population. And really understand what you are asking for, does anyone know the environmental impact of making those batteries or solar panels? Look it up and not at CNN or Yahoo and you will be surprised.

Sure, one day we will all be electric heck one day we'll all be atomic, but the electric pipedream is decades away. I wish the current clowns in power would stop making the American people suffer just so they can say they are "saving the planet".
ChadBounder is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 12:32 PM   #152

If EV are the future then can we stop this ?

https://blogs.prio.org/2021/04/cobal...-exploitation/

Hell then there's India and China and look how that's worked out

But there is hope, Cobalt mine in Idaho I believe . EV expensive now just wait

I'll keep my ICE
Old 10-08-2022, 12:43 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe I care View Post
If EV are the future then can we stop this ?

https://blogs.prio.org/2021/04/cobal...-exploitation/

Hell then there's India and China and look how that's worked out

But there is hope, Cobalt mine in Idaho I believe . EV expensive now just wait

I'll keep my ICE
Itís kind of a BS article. It states very early on that electric vehicles canít be built without cobalt. Yet about half of all teslas built use zero cobalt. (LFP batteries etc).

As well all gas vehicles use cobalt because one of the principal uses of cobalt is the refining of gas. Itís an article that was purposely meant to fit someoneís narrative.
radar is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2022, 03:08 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Florida Fire Chief reporting on NewsMax about no safe place to store flooded EVs that they know will explode and catch fire eventually. Fire-fighting resources are being wasted on these difficult to extinguish fires.
LOL... Newsmax is about as reliable as National Enquirer reporting on Elvis and flying saucer sightings...
Jaxon is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
charging