Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2022, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
A generator runs fuel pumps just fine. Most truck stops around here have natural gas powered ones. Nice thing about liquid fuel is you can fuel in pouring rain or standing in a foot of water. I’d be shocked to see some plugging in at a car charger in the same conditions.
Like this place?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #16

My wife sure likes her EV (Audi E-Tron). Charges in the garage at home, so no standing in the wind and rain to pump gas. It takes $0.043 per mile for electricity instead of $0.21 cents per mile for gasoline that her previous smaller SUV needed. It is also faster, quieter, and smoother than her previous vehicle.

Long trips are easy with her E-Tron. Using Level 3 chargers her recent trip from Boise to Butte MT took about an hour longer than it takes in my sedan, so yes it takes longer but not dramatically longer.

There is a reason why the supercars are all going electric- they are simply much faster.

If I was not towing I’d look hard at an electric pickup. Unfortunately it seems the electrics all have short beds, though, and that is a deal-breaker for me.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:38 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
[QUOTE=Old-Biscuit;
I have only 1 issue with EVs
That is the misconceived concept they are ZERO emissions and we/planet will be all the better because of EVs

Actually 2 issues........Generating capabilities to provide electricity for EVs and Infrastructure required[/QUOTE]

Shhhhh! The politicians don't want the public to know about those things.

BTW, how is Alaska going to put a charging station every 50 miles? Or is it just on major routes?
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply
Old 09-29-2022, 02:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
2011 GMC Sierra 3500HD gas 6.0 dually
1994 K1500 Suburban shop mule and plow truck

No EVs in portfolio

EVs will come about as there are forced down the publics throat.

I have only 1 issue with EVs
That is the misconceived concept they are ZERO emissions and we/planet will be all the better because of EVs

Actually 2 issues........Generating capabilities to provide electricity for EVs and Infrastructure required
No one is forcing anything down anyone's throat. You can buy whatever fuel source you prefer. When/if that really changes, it''ll be no different than when they outlawed leaded gas.

No, we are still waiting on delivery of our Bolt EUV. That would actually be my GFs car, not mine. My Suburban makes a grand total of 600-1000km yearly just to keep it functional. My Sierra is my tow pig, and 75-80% of its use is hauling the RV and/or materials or a work trailer. Why?

Who said an EV is zero emissions? It is true that the VEHICLE is zero emissions, as it has no tailpipe and doesn't spew out any gases or liquids. Remote emissions from any type of power plant, even coal powered, are better than what any ICE vehicle can output. An EV emits nothing in traffic, idling, driving.

Infrastructure is so weak in the USA, it needs a revamp anyway. It'll have to happen no matter what. As it stands today, power generation in the southeast USA will need to be reconfigured. If there's money to be made, and there will be, someone will step in and fix that. If a small (population-wise) country like Canada can produce clean energy over such a wide and sparsely populated area, surely the good ole USA can do the same?
kdauto is offline   Reply
Old 09-29-2022, 02:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Like this place?

And? I wouldn't be afraid to plug in there, it's really no different than plugging in when standing in the rain or wet snow. It sure is a piss poor design for lot drainage, unless that was after a catastrophic event. That image circulates as a really poor argument all the time.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
Shhhhh! The politicians don't want the public to know about those things.

BTW, how is Alaska going to put a charging station every 50 miles? Or is it just on major routes?
Why have one every 50 miles? Most of the new EVs are aiming for 400km of range minimum. A charger every 100 miles (160km) is plenty. AFAIK I read that they actually are going to start installing along the Alaskan highway. They have done so far North in Canada already from what I've read.

Most charging is done at home. I wish I could fuel my truck at home while I'm sleeping or doing something else.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
My wife sure likes her EV (Audi E-Tron). Charges in the garage at home, so no standing in the wind and rain to pump gas. It takes $0.043 per mile for electricity instead of $0.21 cents per mile for gasoline that her previous smaller SUV needed. It is also faster, quieter, and smoother than her previous vehicle.

Long trips are easy with her E-Tron. Using Level 3 chargers her recent trip from Boise to Butte MT took about an hour longer than it takes in my sedan, so yes it takes longer but not dramatically longer.

There is a reason why the supercars are all going electric- they are simply much faster.

If I was not towing I’d look hard at an electric pickup. Unfortunately it seems the electrics all have short beds, though, and that is a deal-breaker for me.
Formula 1 is way out in front on this issue. They're of course still running ice's but they're augmented by electrical power and those ev's will flat scat. I think for urban driving the ev's are absolutely the way forward, not sure if we're quite there on long range travel, however, but we'll get there.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply
Old 09-29-2022, 02:36 PM   #22

The CEO.of Exxon in a congressional hearing on the issue said they have scientific evidence an angel in heaven loses her wings everytime someone buys an ev and they know for certain the eyes of kittens are harvested to manufacture ev batteries.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:38 PM   #23

In the Shawshank redemption Brooks said “when I was a young man I saw an automobile once, now they are everywhere “ that took 50 years to go from horses to cars everywhere. Moving to a cleaner future with Evs and renewable power is a good idea, and we should move that direction, but it will take time, and unless there is some amazing breakthroughs in technology , an internal combustion engine and natural gas power will still be the right tool for the job, for some applications. Slow and steady is always the better approach to ram it through no matter the cost or consequences. Wishing something real doesn’t make it real.
2002 Country Coach Affinity 42' #6063 CAT C12 505hp & Matching Featherlite Trailer or 2009 Lexus GX Toad
MarylandRich is offline   Reply
Old 09-29-2022, 02:52 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That's great. If ev's are to fully take off we need a good network.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply
Old 09-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #25

The CEO.of Exxon in a congressional hearing on the issue said they have scientific evidence an angel in heaven loses her wings everytime someone buys an ev and they know for certain the eyes of kittens are harvested to manufacture ev batteries.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
Hi, I'm from the goverment and I'm here to help you. I would say this sentence would apply here.
I can already see big problems with this, power grid is overloaded and the first place they shut down is the EV chargers.

The infrustructure is not in place for this!
C Beedle is offline   Reply
Old 09-29-2022, 03:49 PM   #27

We need to think about the loss of freedom that will come from everyone being forced onto a government controlled electric grid.
move on is offline   Reply
Old 09-29-2022, 03:54 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I kind of hate to jump in on this thread but nobody said I was smart. Take this as an engineering problem. Assume that everybody has agreed to switch all their vehicles to 100% EV. Now today drive down any interstate , street or road and count how many vehicles are fueling or waiting to fuel. That is your baseline electricity need that has to be supported by some sort of infrastructure. Just pick a number of say 150 vehicles fueling per mile (I don’t know that that is realistic but we'll use it any way).
So the demand for energy is at least 50KW up to 375KW PER CHARE STATION. And this is on top of all existing demand for energy (less what it takes to run the fuel pumps now).
Where is the supply for all that added demand when a handful of hot summer days causes brownouts and panic in California right now? Don’t get me wrong, there are solutions but I haven’t heard anybody lay anything concrete out.
It is a huge mistake to ramp up demand by fiat before the supply issues are solved (by the way, I believe that the current inflation numbers are being driven by a political decision to curtail fossil fuel production but before there is any viable substitute.
Drive up the cost of energy artificially and every single product and service is negatively impacted world-wide. This is not a demand-side recession caused by post-Covid consumer spending. it is a deliberate supply-side cut in order to force a global contraction of economic activity.
It’s always “that's somebody else’s problem. They'll figure something out.” What if the solution turns out to be small nuclear power plants across the entire length and breadth of the country? Everybody in the Green Party going to agree to that?
So that’s what I think but that doesn't make me right.
Archer2 is online now   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
charging