Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2022, 04:12 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Probably no different than any of the gas pumps at your local filling stations. Do THEY work underwater? Do they even work without electricity?

Sometimes I can't believe the comments here. It's like if some are stuck in the stone age.
You can take a container and go get fuel. People can bring it to you. You can share it. Can’t do that with electricity.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2022, 04:15 PM   #58

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRNewsom View Post
You can take a container and go get fuel. People can bring it to you. You can share it. Can’t do that with electricity.

Batteries.

Also, some of the new EVs have ports that other EVs can use to charge.

Also generators.

Also extension cords...
Old 10-06-2022, 04:19 PM   #59

Thor Owners Club
Texas I-10 is 877.5 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
This has been coming for awhile. Final approval to fund EV charging stations every 50 miles along highways happened yesterday.

https://news.yahoo.com/states-final-...130035102.html
Since Texas I-10 alone is 877.5 miles and 1 EV per 50 miles = 18
I-45 Between Galveston and Dallas = 285 miles /50= 6
I-20 = 636 miles/50 = 13
I-35 = you get the point.
If your state only needs 2 charging stations- OK.
But Texas is another story and so are other states. We cant even run our air conditioners full time when the temps are high! No chance in getting "all those EVs" charged up at the same time as our AC units.
And when do you think those $$$$ will get to the states and then the contractors.....HMMM.
Old 10-06-2022, 04:24 PM   #60

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
Quote:
I don't see what your problem is. You don't like EVs, fine, don't buy one. You don't want anything to do with EVs, then, visit another forum, Why aggravate yourself with technology? Heck, maybe go out and find a hand cranked model T or something since you seem to admire them.

No one is forcing anything on anyone.
Actually - everyone IS being forced into EVs - and that is my main issue with this. Between CA and the Feds they are MANDATING that sales of ICE vehicles be phased out starting as soon as 2026. While I really have nothing against EVs I do object to the government creating expensive laws & mandates (under the guise of "saving the planet") which have so far only created severe inflation and pain for many consumers.

People have no problem adopting new technologies when they become available - IF they offer obvious benefits. EVs may offer some benefits to some - but they do not to many. If and when EVs become less costly, faster charging, get better range and are actually create less pollution to run then many will migrate to buying them. But as many now recognize - the electrical grid is not at all ready to support this much greater demand, and the costs are higher than most can afford. So why is this being jammed down our throats by the government? If EVs present benefits to consumers then they will be adopted - but at the present level of technology and support - they do not - plain & simple.

The government should stay our of it - let the free market decide.
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #61

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
Wonder if they factored in the size requirements for EV RVs and trucks to charge, as one of the current issues is that very few charging stations can accommodate anything except cars. Read an article recently about a couple using an EV PU to tow a house trailer part way cross country. One of their big problems was fitting into charging stations as their much greater length forced them to take up multiple charging lanes, or even stick out into the roadway - blocking traffic. They ended up annoying many other EV owners wanting to recharge. So to build these properly will require a lot of extra land and pavement. But every 50 miles? Really?
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 05:01 PM   #62

What a sad pathetic joke, until alternative energy is actually real and available to replace current existing energy, and nuclear based energy, the little bit of solar and wind and geothermal production is not adequate.
Here the United States has 530 years of known oil reserves to drill (and maybe even double of that) and we’re begging Venezuela and the oil cartels for more oil, what a joke! For those who want to dispose of the toxic batteries from electric vehicles you better come up with a solution soon. For those who like clean drinking water, electricity and the convenience of reliable heating sources, we better start drilling in America’
Doc Burry is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 05:11 PM   #63

Highway EV charging network coming soon

The government did not legislate the construction of gas stations, and certainly not offering any help to the industries which run on diesel.
This is as logical as most current guvmint programs, plans, and scams.
Let's ALL be like Southern Kalifornia...
azlandman is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #64

Quote:
I don't see what your problem is. You don't like EVs, fine, don't buy one. You don't wan t anything to do with EVs, then, visit another forum, Why aggravate yourself with technology? Heck, maybe go out and find a hand cranked model T or something since you seem to admire them.

No one is forcing anything on anyone.
Well, now that is not really true. Not if you live in CA or one of the other states that are banning sales of most ICE vehicals after 2035. So, while they aren't forcing it on anyone today, the writing is on the wall. They may not be forcing me to buy a product directly, but banning the alternative products is effectively the same thing.

One other thing I'd like to point out is that the administration's grand plan only applies to the interstate highways..and I go a lot of places that aren't on interstates.
Don't get me wrong. I want EV'S TO succeed. Now that I'm retired, I may even buy one myself to serve as my around town, errand runner and grocery getter. I don't see myself pulling my 7600 # loaded travel trailer at any time when I'm still young enough to be doing that. No male in my family has ever lived past 70 and though I'm hoping to beat the odds, the family history says I'll be dead by 2031. So I guess you could say it's true that it's unlikely that I will be forced to go electric.
DRAGN83 is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #65

EV Chargers

I have no doubt that networks of chargers will be built. After all, there wasn't a gas station on every corner in 1900. What I'm waiting for is an EV car that could be flat towed! That would be a great addition to the garage.
Old 10-06-2022, 05:38 PM   #66
tcg

Quote:
Sure you can.

Maybe I should start designing a portable charging station that can be carried with a road service truck that runs on a generator.

Necessity mother invention.

Or, I'm sure it's already designed. A lot of comments are assuming things haven't been considered but my guess is...

Sure they have.
tcg is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd love to have an inexpensive EV grocery-getter. Problem is, even the cheapest one available now costs more than a new ICE Kia or Chevy.
By the time they actually get around to building the infrastructure for EV trucks and RV's I'll probably be drooling in my wheelchair out in the hallway. Hell, we can't even repair our highways, bridges and build high speed rail today because this country can't get it's "you know what" together. We are WAY behind other countries and I can't see us ever catching up, let alone developing something new.
We are suffering from national gridlock.
baraff is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 06:24 PM   #68

Sad that this amazing tech that our country has a huge lead on is political.

I keep hearing the Big Oil lie about being forced. It is very political to say that. This is a Big Oil talking point people repeat with out thought. Big Oil is trying to pull the same chain on the neck in the same way politicians used to get people not to use face masks during Covid. The states banning ICE cars are around 15 yrs away. This is only new cars so one can still buy a used car, go to another state to buy one, or just order one from another state like I had to with my Tesla here in TX. Texas still has a law that does not allow us to buy a Tesla. We have to use a loop hole to own a Tesla. Crazy that we can make them but can't buy them here in TX. Also, only Tesla buyers are not eligible to get a state tax credit. This is cronyism by corrupt politicians.
SawdustRadio is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 06:31 PM   #69

Portable charging already being done

Quote:

The Ford Lighting can already do this. It has a few 110/240 VAC plugs. I believe the 240 VAC is 30 Amp. Owners already using Lightning as huge generators. Last I read, one can power an average home for 3 days.
SawdustRadio is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 06:32 PM   #70

Finding places to put those chargers could prove to be a challenge in many western states where signs touting next services 78 or more miles are not uncommon. We’re waiting and hoping to see better distances before even looking.
Sharon455 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
charging