Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Waiting to hear how the charging stations in Florida fared with storm surge and other flooding.
And in California where they can't keep the electrical grid up with the usage they have now.

Pitiful!
boogiejack75 is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2022, 05:55 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpulpit View Post
What a waste of our tax dollars
I'll agree, our tax dollars for rebates / credits on anything electric, cars or solar panels it's not the governments place to push a agenda but it is being spent here in the USA and not somewhere over sea. Still getting ----
Old 10-06-2022, 06:09 PM   #73
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe I care View Post
... it's not the governments place to push a agenda...
Wait, what?

Is it just this agenda or all agendas?
tcg is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 06:14 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
A step forward, ... If the answer is the government, will they be able to track you.
Not as easily as your Credit Card company or Tesla will.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
This!

Molten Salt Thorium Reactors

Technology has be around since the 1950s. The Oak Ridge National Laboratory operated one for roughly 4 years in the 1960s.

97% efficient leaving only 3% nuclear waste, that cannot be weaponized.

China and India are already moving in this direction. When it comes to energy, they’ll be kicking our butts in a few years while we bicker over matters of stunning insignificance like preferred pronouns!
I have been involved with providing energy that provides freedom to travel and live comfortable for 50 years. My mother's house had a coal furnace because rich people built it. It has been converted to oil because it was cleaner. When I left for the navy, heating oil was 15 cents. Ten years later when I got out of the navy, it was $1.15. A natural gas furnace was installed.

I was talking to sailing friend who is building a new house. Apparently, heating with natural gas is not acceptable anymore.

Here is what I know, providing the energy you need is not an engineering problem. Predicting how much you need and what will be acceptable is.

It is true the MSR have been around since the 50s. Both MSR and light water reactors were considered for navy reactors. LWR for the navy and commercial reactors are what we are using today including China and India.

How do I know. My last job was a at a 1600 MWe LWR in China.

One modern nuke will provide electricity for a million BEV. If it happens it will be in France or South Korea. Not the US!

We have coal, lots of it. We have oil, lots of it.

When we run out, long after we are dust, how we do it? High temperature gas cooled reactors will produce hydrogen for refineries to make synthetic diesel.

Storing electricity in batteries is a terrible idea. Find me another planet to mine minerals and a few space ships, and we can talk about building nukes for large scale BEV production.

The US has locations already approved to double nuclear production. So what are we doing? Renewable energy manufactured with slave labor coal in China

The good news is that there are lots of good solution when our grandchildren need them.
Old 10-06-2022, 06:37 PM   #76

That is after all, what it is all about. Big Brother. They also don't say how many chargers will be at the stations. Do you honestly believe for a minute that there will be enough chargers if at some point, the government mandates ev's? Dream on!
rjoney55 is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 06:50 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
I have doubts and see LONG lines....

Distance misjudgement:

Lighting towing:

JellyBean is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
This has been coming for awhile. Final approval to fund EV charging stations every 50 miles along highways happened yesterday.

https://news.yahoo.com/states-final-...130035102.html
Even when done, it will take over a week to travel coast to coast! Bring something to read!
mogul264 is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #79
tcg

The government wants to use EVs to track us?

Because they need to know where I'm going?

They already know that.

You all own smartphones right? You know the government already knows what you had for dinner, right?

Sheesh, if your against progress just say so without the added big brother nonsense.
tcg is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 06:59 PM   #80
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogul264 View Post
Even when done, it will take over a week to travel coast to coast! Bring something to read!
The current record is 40 hours and change with 2 hours 26 minutes of charging.

That's not even close to a week and will improve as the network grows.
tcg is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 07:21 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
The current record is 40 hours and change with 2 hours 26 minutes of charging.

That's not even close to a week and will improve as the network grows.
That and battery technology will improve in 10-15 years too. Teslas first car was a small 2 seater in 2012 or 2013, look where they are now ten years later.

Just like cell phone technology. Batteries barely lasted 30 minutes, and there was no texting or photo capabilities. Then came the smart phone. Something similar will happen with EV tech. There will be a breakthrough in battery or charging technology or both.
Old 10-06-2022, 07:47 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
A generator runs fuel pumps just fine. Most truck stops around here have natural gas powered ones. Nice thing about liquid fuel is you can fuel in pouring rain or standing in a foot of water. I’d be shocked to see some plugging in at a car charger in the same conditions.
That’s why almost all the gas stations were closed in the affected areas in FL as far away as Orlando. Pretty funny watching Tesla drivers driving to all the gas stations with no gas making videos. The reality of the issue is far different than the misinformation being spread. I was hit directly by Irma with 152 mph winds and I can assure you neither electric or gas vehicles had any access to fuel for 10 days.

https://youtu.be/w5T3CNakIs4
Cherokee180C is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 07:53 PM   #83

Quote:
Are you really that misinformed? 1100 mile Tesla Model Y journey in only 1 hour more than a gas vehicle. That is current fact. Cybertruck will be even less of a difference with 500+ mile range. Lastly they already have EV’s traveling 600+ miles per charge.

https://one.ai/range
Cherokee180C is offline   Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 07:59 PM   #84

Quote:
Why?
radar is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
charging