Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadBounder View Post
This is going to fun and funny to watch. We are so far away from being able to make this viable it's pitiful. California just went through a period and told people NOT to charge their EV's because the power grid could not handle it and it did cause blackouts.

So by all means, put the little charging stations all over and see what happens, MELTDOWN.
Enjoyment of pain aside, California also asked residents to raise ac temperatures and not water their lawns too, didn't they?

EVs are the cause of blackouts? THE cause? Really?

Bring back the whale oil and horse drawn carriage!
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2022, 09:48 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
You have to admit the irony in complaining about the dangers of a lithium battery fire while riding around on a 30 gallon molotov cocktail.
Remember the Pinto? How about that lady in California last month that crashed her Mercedes into 3 or 4 other cars and caught fire.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
You are grossly exaggerating the cost of diesel towing. A diesel can tow 360 miles for under $100. I assume you are also exaggerating the cost per KWH of charging the Cybertruck. The diesel will do the trip for less.
Here are my figures since you want to challenge them.

$5 gas
7 miles per gallon towing 14K lbs = $0.71 / mile

Electricity = $0.085 / KWh off peak at my house (exact rate)
Tesla super charger = $0.42 / KWhr which is the highest rate in most states with the exception of CA. that is the exact rate as well
First charge overnight at campground is basically free, but I used the $0.085 number
Second charge is at the $0.42 / kWh

Math = 150 kWh x $0.085 + 150 kWh x 0.42/ KWhr = $75.75

Electric = $0.21/ mile
Diesel = 360/7= 51.4 gallons x 5 = $257.14 / 360 = $0.71 / mile.

If you want me to run at 9 miles / gallon electric is still twice as cheap using that 360 mile per day travel strategy. Also you still didn’t acknowledge that will in the area you will pay basically $0 for the week or so to drive around and see everything.

Also at $5/gallon diesel which was my original statement. Please tell me what Diesel truck can pull a 14K RV and get 18 miles / gallon. I am all ears.

So again you might want to ask for the data before accusing of cooking the numbers.
Cherokee180C is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
We can't forget we are transitioning in fuels. There's going to be imbalances for various reasons

On the matter of utilities not being to keep up capacities required for EV charging, it's complicated right? I mean even the great energy state of Texas can't keep the power on.

And I wonder what the net capacity difference really is. What I mean by that is with EV the fossil fuel supply chain for gas requires alot of electrical capacity. Sure, EVs need electric capacity to charge - but is overall electric capacity really increased with EV?
Overall electricity demand will rise, but why do you think all the utilities are giving massive incentives for EV charging home infrastructure as they know they are going to make a killing on the increased usage long term. I didn’t even really state my utility numbers correctly in my other calculations as the people in this forum would have never believed. I used $0.085 off peak charging costs in all my calculations, but the reality is BGE in MD offers $0.04/ kWhr for off peak as a special rate for EV charging at night with a level 2 charger installation. That is literally $148 / year to charge a Model Y that drives 10K per year. Now run the calculations I originally posted. Electrical costs vary wildly by where you live. Period.
Cherokee180C is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 10:35 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180C View Post
Here are my figures since you want to challenge them.

$5 gas
7 miles per gallon towing 14K lbs = $0.71 / mile

Electricity = $0.085 / KWh off peak at my house (exact rate)
Tesla super charger = $0.42 / KWhr which is the highest rate in most states with the exception of CA. that is the exact rate as well
First charge overnight at campground is basically free, but I used the $0.085 number
Second charge is at the $0.42 / kWh

Math = 150 kWh x $0.085 + 150 kWh x 0.42/ KWhr = $75.75

Electric = $0.21/ mile
Diesel = 360/7= 51.4 gallons x 5 = $257.14 / 360 = $0.71 / mile.

If you want me to run at 9 miles / gallon electric is still twice as cheap using that 360 mile per day travel strategy. Also you still didn’t acknowledge that will in the area you will pay basically $0 for the week or so to drive around and see everything.

Also at $5/gallon diesel which was my original statement. Please tell me what Diesel truck can pull a 14K RV and get 18 miles / gallon. I am all ears.

So again you might want to ask for the data before accusing of cooking the numbers.
Yes. You are exaggerating to make EVs look better than they are. First of all, you cannot use free or stolen electricity in your calculations because that would amount to a subsidy. Other subsidies would include road tax and charger installation costs that are funded by ratepayers or directly by government grants.

I have seen charge stations selling electricity at $0.59 per KWH. Why not use that and forget about the "free" campground electricity?

What is the electricity consumption of a Tesla towing a 14k lb trailer? I would like to see a test report on that. If it's anything like the F-150 lightning you will not even be able to go 100 miles.

I wouldn't recommend towing a 14k lb RV on the highway with a truck as small as a Cybertruck. It would be too unstable. Figure on 7k lbs. as a typical tow. I towed a 7k lb travel trailer with a 3 liter diesel and averaged 16.5 MPG. Also my last diesel fill-up was $4.39 per gallon, less $0.65 road tax which you are either paying with your registration fee or getting it subsidized. Cost of fuel only = $3.74. Total cost for a 360 mile trip: $3.74 x 360/16.5= $81.60, not $270 as you posted.
move on is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #118

Florida Fire Chief reporting on NewsMax about no safe place to store flooded EVs that they know will explode and catch fire eventually. Fire-fighting resources are being wasted on these difficult to extinguish fires.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Florida Fire Chief reporting on NewsMax about no safe place to store flooded EVs that they know will explode and catch fire eventually. Fire-fighting resources are being wasted on these difficult to extinguish fires.
So put the EV’s in the big empty field and let the firefighters practice putting them out. Perfect training.

What about the flooded cars? They are puking oil and gas out of them being under 3-4 feet of water. And the water sanitation plants are overflowing dumping raw sewage into the rivers and into the gulf. Saw a satellite picture of the brown water flowing into the gulf.

It’s a mess there.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:55 AM   #120

Has California ever had its grid go down like Texas did? Grid failure is way worse than controlled black outs. I have read that Texas is the king of wind energy. I have also read that California is the only state that doesn’t charge an oil extraction tax. Nothing is black and white.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:03 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post
So put the EV’s in the big empty field and let the firefighters practice putting them out. Perfect training.

What about the flooded cars? They are puking oil and gas out of them being under 3-4 feet of water. And the water sanitation plants are overflowing dumping raw sewage into the rivers and into the gulf. Saw a satellite picture of the brown water flowing into the gulf.

It’s a mess there.
The Chief said they can't congregate the flooded EVs like they do normal vehicles during the cleanup. For very obvious reasons. And while they do need to be removed from garages and adjacent infrastructure who wants to be near something that may blow up at any moment.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:05 AM   #122

Quote:
Lol, what about all the floating leaking gas and diesel vehicles in the water? Don't these pose serious environmental threats and special handling once recovered.

Gas and diesel flooded wrecks in the water are by far the most numerous cases. Over focusing on a few Evs which are in the extreme minority is silliness
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 11:17 AM   #123
tcg

Quote:
The Chief said they can't congregate the flooded EVs like they do normal vehicles during the cleanup. For very obvious reasons. And while they do need to be removed from garages and adjacent infrastructure who wants to be near something that may blow up at any moment.
So how many have blown up? So far there is only one story of that one Tesla. Is it a possibility? Sure, but so far there is not mass EV explosions. Do they even explode or just catch fire because the video of the Tesla in Florida was not an explosion it was a smokey fire.

But even if there were a few, this is extraordinary circumstances caused by a catastrophic weather event.

Do we stop all progress because of what if situations? Driving around vehicles filled with an explosive liquid has not been a problem for a hundred years. Imagine if there was internet forums in the early 1900s, would there have naysayers trying to prevent automobiles from developing because of the very real danger of explosion? What if they would have won?

What happened to the can do attitude of the past?
tcg is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Batteries.

Also, some of the new EVs have ports that other EVs can use to charge.

Also generators.

Also extension cords...

Generators powered by gasoline or diesel. Or propane that is also a fossil fuel? Is that what the extension cords are plugged into?

Haven’t seen an BEV with removable and exchangeable battery packs. One bev charging another bev? Haven’t seen anyone doing that, but two vehicles sitting along a road for quite a while seems like an unsafe condition.

Heading back north on Saturday. Will leave in the afternoon and drive the first 400 miles. The final 580 miles will be on Sunday. Home before dark. Call me when a comparable bev MH can do that. That call will probably be coming in on an iPhone 468.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:07 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdibbxsh View Post
LOL, except California who doesn't even have enough electricity to handle homes and businesses.

Don't forget Texas, whose power grid fails regularly in the Sumer and winter...
Jaxon is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 01:18 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post

Do we stop all progress because of what if situations? Driving around vehicles filled with an explosive liquid has not been a problem for a hundred years. Imagine if there was internet forums in the early 1900s, would there have naysayers trying to prevent automobiles from developing because of the very real danger of explosion? What if they would have won?
The first airplanes weren’t exactly safe either. They fell out of the sky regularly. Can’t have that, killing people and all. They didn’t fly very far either, what good is that? Look at them now. Better designs, better engines, etc etc.

Give the EV’s a hundred years of development and see how they are. We won’t see it, but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen.

Tags
charging