Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2022, 06:22 AM   #99

Exploding electric vehicles

The EVs caught in Ian in FL are now having their batteries explode from getting wet and corroding. Doesn't sound very environmentally friendly when you consider that these actually run on coal and natural gas, the fossil fuel just gets burned on the back end instead of the front end. Not to mention the consumption of fossil fuels required to mine and produce battery materials. And the fact that all the plastic in them is made from....oil, a fossil fuel.

Firefighters report that the vehicles burn for days. Water doesn't put out lithium fires.
medarwin is offline   Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2022, 06:37 AM   #100

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
This has been coming for awhile. Final approval to fund EV charging stations every 50 miles along highways happened yesterday.

https://news.yahoo.com/states-final-...130035102.html

OH thank God!! Finally…..can’t wait to drive by in my 2010 F-150 gas 4WD truck and see my fellow Minnesotans outside to charge there over priced vehicles when its -30 and the wind is 30 mph. With the heater going full blast how many hours will it take???? Now thats funny.
Schask is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 06:40 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180C View Post
The Cybertruck with 500+ miles of EPA range, only needs 180 miles of towing range from 10% to 80% of the battery capacity. Then you can travel 360 miles / day for approximately $90 with only one charging stop for just over 30 minutes. That is 1/3 the cost of a diesel rig @$5/gallon. Perfect national park rig. Also don’t forget that travel while at a destination will be 100% free. And before everyone else starts complaining about the camp ground energy usage, most campgrounds already charge more for 50 amp circuits and no one charges Class A motor homes more for use of their third A/C unit. Extended stays already have meter usage charges, which would then also apply.
You are grossly exaggerating the cost of diesel towing. A diesel can tow 360 miles for under $100. I assume you are also exaggerating the cost per KWH of charging the Cybertruck. The diesel will do the trip for less.
move on is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 07:28 AM   #102

LOL, except California who doesn't even have enough electricity to handle homes and businesses. We retired and were able to flee. CA has been tearing down power generation facilities for years and now it's paying the price.

BTW, as of 2023, you will not be able to buy ANY RV there with a generator, motor homes included.

So glad we're gone.
rdibbxsh is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 07:34 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee180C View Post
Agreed, but you never recognized that the long distance charging infrastructure is only for 5% of the total usage of EV’s, therefore, most of your arguments about the grid not being able to handle it are pure junk. Also Solar and Wind have excess capacity during the day, which also negates the grid can’t handle it misinformation being spread.
As I said, this thread is about long distance and/or others that will be charging during the day. It has nothing to do with charging at home. All the nonsense about home charging is just trolling this thread and isn't applicable.

I can only speak about the Midwest but I can tell you that we have a serious power capacity issue here. Wind is almost worthless and solar is not enough to make up for all the generation plants they are closing. Our utility is VERY worried about simply trying to keep up with existing loads. They will NOT be able to add anything additional for EV charging.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:51 AM   #104
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by medarwin View Post
The EVs caught in Ian in FL are now having their batteries explode from getting wet and corroding. Doesn't sound very environmentally friendly when you consider that these actually run on coal and natural gas, the fossil fuel just gets burned on the back end instead of the front end. Not to mention the consumption of fossil fuels required to mine and produce battery materials. And the fact that all the plastic in them is made from....oil, a fossil fuel.

Firefighters report that the vehicles burn for days. Water doesn't put out lithium fires.
Might want to check the source of that information. It's coming from one story about one Tesla and the warning is coming from the CFO and State Fire Marshall of Florida. One guy is the Fire Marshal and CFO and they're not in favor of EVs.

As far as water putting out lithium battery fires you might want to to a quick search. Water can extinguish a battery fire but it does take significantly more water. Also, EVs are significantly less like to catch fire than traditional vehicles.

Why is so hard for people to verify this information?
tcg is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 08:10 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Might want to check the source of that information. It's coming from one story about one Tesla and the warning is coming from the CFO and State Fire Marshall of Florida. One guy is the Fire Marshal and CFO and they're not in favor of EVs.

As far as water putting out lithium battery fires you might want to to a quick search. Water can extinguish a battery fire but it does take significantly more water. Also, EVs are significantly less like to catch fire than traditional vehicles.

It isn't. And I did.

https://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/999

And there IS the possibility that the State Fire Marshall has a good reason not to like cars that catch on fire and cannot effectively be put out with current firefighting technology and equipment. Most cops are against criminals having lethal weapons. I suppose they're biased as well?
medarwin is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
EVs have voltage and ground sensing at the charge plug. They obviously won't work if the car is submerged, but then, neither will a gas or diesel work well if the filler neck is submerged eh?

So many naysayers here, it's kind of discouraging. It'll be interesting to see what these folks are posting when they're surrounded by EVs and even bigger EVs like HD trucks and such.

I imagine folks heard this all 125 years ago when they were replacing the horse and buggy with EVs, and then later replacing the EVs with gas or diesel engines.
EV may be a city slash heavy suburb answer but it doesn't help those on the outside. Need to put more money into different technology. Saying naysayers isn't helpful when most realize that we can't support EV technology without leaps and bounds in the innovation process. Throwing billions of taxpayer dollars at 3% of the vehicles on the road is wasteful spending...at least until it is ready.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post

You have to admit the irony in complaining about the dangers of a lithium battery fire while riding around on a 30 gallon molotov cocktail.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 08:35 AM   #108
tcg

Quote:
It isn't. And I did.

https://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/999

And there IS the possibility that the State Fire Marshall has a good reason not to like cars that catch on fire and cannot effectively be put out with current firefighting technology and equipment. Most cops are against criminals having lethal weapons. I suppose they're biased as well?

The Tesla in the only story about EV fires after the hurricane was indeed put out by water. And the only source for that single story was a tweet.

Tesla, Nissan, and Volkswagen all recommend water to put out battery fires. It does take large amounts of water but water is the recommended method.
tcg is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 08:43 AM   #109
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
You have to admit the irony in complaining about the dangers of a lithium battery fire while riding around on a 30 gallon molotov cocktail.
Especially since an EVs are far less likely to be involved in a fire.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/study-e...est-car-fires/

Hybrid cars had the most fires but gasoline compared to EV there really is a clear winner.

Gasoline-powered cars, about 1,530. Electric vehicles (EVs) saw just 25 fires per 100,000 sold.

That's of cars sold of each type so it is a fair comparison. .03% to 1.5%.
tcg is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 08:47 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-racer View Post
As I said, this thread is about long distance and/or others that will be charging during the day. It has nothing to do with charging at home. All the nonsense about home charging is just trolling this thread and isn't applicable.

I can only speak about the Midwest but I can tell you that we have a serious power capacity issue here. Wind is almost worthless and solar is not enough to make up for all the generation plants they are closing. Our utility is VERY worried about simply trying to keep up with existing loads. They will NOT be able to add anything additional for EV charging.
We can't forget we are transitioning in fuels. There's going to be imbalances for various reasons

On the matter of utilities not being to keep up capacities required for EV charging, it's complicated right? I mean even the great energy state of Texas can't keep the power on.

And I wonder what the net capacity difference really is. What I mean by that is with EV the fossil fuel supply chain for gas requires alot of electrical capacity. Sure, EVs need electric capacity to charge - but is overall electric capacity really increased with EV?
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #111

This is going to fun and funny to watch. We are so far away from being able to make this viable it's pitiful. California just went through a period and told people NOT to charge their EV's because the power grid could not handle it and it did cause blackouts.

So by all means, put the little charging stations all over and see what happens, MELTDOWN.
VentanaOdyssey is offline   Reply
Old 10-07-2022, 09:26 AM   #112

Quote:

It is nice when you only report half the story. The same gas cars are spewing oil and gasoline into the environment. Even in the dirtiest energy state in the nation EV’s are 25% cleaner overall than gas cars which is also fact. For most they are many time cleaner. As far as fires go, Tesla’s have 10 times less fires than gas cars and all the data is there to prove, so basing any long term decisions on aftermath of a catastrophe because the corrosion fires are more dramatic does not make any common sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBA7EFAC-15FD-4186-A7B1-DD9FB9BD64C8.png
Views:	18
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	378141  
Cherokee180C is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
charging