Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2021, 08:33 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not ready for an electric vehicle and especially a first generation. Maybe in 5 or more years.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandoo62 View Post
the transfer switch is so you can use the truck as your stand-by generator if you lose power.from what i read on the ford site it can power up to 30kw per day for 3 days.
Nice. Beats my little champion 3.4 kw propane generator. .
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I am not ready for an electric vehicle and especially a first generation. Maybe in 5 or more years.

Ken
Heh heh. Yep. There are lots of early adapters out there, including us. . We bought our first EV 6 years ago. . Nothing wrong with the watch and learn approach. .
Old 12-27-2021, 10:26 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
You will never find one in my Garage, I do not want any part of one.
Ditto!!!
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:26 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Anyone see the guy that took his 2013 Tesla out to the desert and blow it up with dynamite? The new battery pack it needed was well over $20k.
Seems like a rather poor return on investment.
Think I'll keep my ICEs around just a bit longer.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Anyone see the guy that took his 2013 Tesla out to the desert and blow it up with dynamite? The new battery pack it needed was well over $20k.
Seems like a rather poor return on investment.
Think I'll keep my ICEs around just a bit longer.
Made for an interesting story. But apparently there was a little more to it. From what I gather , the car originally came with a 60 KWh battery. A few years later he had a third party put a 90 kWh battery into it which subsequently suffered a cell failure. Tesla didn’t want to touch it (understandably) so his choice was to buy a new battery or have the the old one rebuilt by a third party (typically about 4000 euros) . He chose neither. He sold the battery and the motors and then got paid by a youtuber to blow it up. Rumour has it he has bought another Tesla.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:16 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Made for an interesting story. But apparently there was a little more to it. From what I gather , the car originally came with a 60 KWh battery. A few years later he had a third party put a 90 kWh battery into it which subsequently suffered a cell failure. Tesla didn’t want to touch it (understandably) so his choice was to buy a new battery or have the the old one rebuilt by a third party (typically about 4000 euros) . He chose neither. He sold the battery and the motors and then got paid by a youtuber to blow it up. Rumour has it he has bought another Tesla.
Thanks for those important details, our local ABC news station neglected to tell "the rest of the story".
Under reported news is fake news IMHO, and for that I apologize posting what I saw this am....
Still think I'll hold off on purchasing an EV truck for now.
We do use our 48v utv cart all over the neighborhood though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	352366  
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #22

We are on the list, but not likely to get to order until 2023. Even if we get a Lightning we will keep our 2013 F150 V8 to pull our camper, use the Lightning as our daily driver. Towing a camper with the Lightning will likely limit its range to under 150 miles.
RetroCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroCamper1 View Post
We are on the list, but not likely to get to order until 2023. Even if we get a Lightning we will keep our 2013 F150 V8 to pull our camper, use the Lightning as our daily driver. Towing a camper with the Lightning will likely limit its range to under 150 miles.
We are really interested in the Ford lightning but not presently on the list. We are on the Cybertruck list “just in case”. We don’t really want a truck at this time but we’ll see in 3 or 4 years when our reservation number comes up. Meantime we intend to pull our little teardrop trailer with a model Y which is supposed to arrive in March time frame now. (Keeps changing). Until then we’ll keep driving our model 3, but with the snow and cold we have had over the last week we are looking forward to the little bit of extra clearance the model Y has over the 3. Minus 26 this morning. Brrrr.

Tags
light