Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Electric RVs and EV Charging
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #1

Interesting pics of a Tesla mega charger test site.

Not sure where this belongs as it is kind of a heavy truck thing but possibly a glimpse into the future of heavy haul RVing be it truck or motorhome. Anyway, I thought these pics and the article were interesting. Enjoy.

https://electrek.co/2021/10/12/tesla...lectric-truck/

radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #2

"With great power comes great charging possibilities." - Me
Old 10-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #3

I think Tesla is in trouble with its electric semi. If you look at the numbers an electric semi gobbles much more energy than a diesel. That may be OK if you have lots of free electric energy available to waste, but they want to sell these in California where they're talking about brownouts.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
I think Tesla is in trouble with its electric semi. If you look at the numbers an electric semi gobbles much more energy than a diesel. That may be OK if you have lots of free electric energy available to waste, but they want to sell these in California where they're talking about brownouts.
That kind of figurin is beyond my pay grade. But itís interesting to see that Tesla is got things on the go for the semi program. Itís been a long time coming. Still think it would make a cool super C Motorhome. Who knows.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Don't worry. I have it on good authority, Tesla will be building a free fitness centers at every truck charging station. It will contain a series of large hamster wheels the truck drivers can run in while they wait. Each wheel will power a generator so drivers can convert calories to watts. Near that will be a Tesla cafe for recharging the drivers lost calories. They got it covered.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Don't worry. I have it on good authority, Tesla will be building a free fitness centers at every truck charging station. It will contain a series of large hamster wheels the truck drivers can run in while they wait. Each wheel will power a generator so drivers can convert calories to watts. Near that will be a Tesla cafe for recharging the drivers lost calories. They got it covered.
Lol. . I love it. From what I have seen of truckers a few of them could stand a little time on a treadmill.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
That kind of figurin is beyond my pay grade. But itís interesting to see that Tesla is got things on the go for the semi program. Itís been a long time coming. Still think it would make a cool super C Motorhome. Who knows.
I think the semi program was put on hold pending the startup of their battery Gigafactory. I'm not sure on the Gigafatory's status, but the first batteries will probably go to the Cybertruck and other waiting vehicles.

Tesla will have to deliver a certain number of semis because they already took in many millions from investors, but I just can't see the semi program gaining any long run traction.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
I think the semi program was put on hold pending the startup of their battery Gigafactory. I'm not sure on the Gigafatory's status, but the first batteries will probably go to the Cybertruck and other waiting vehicles.

Tesla will have to deliver a certain number of semis because they already took in many millions from investors, but I just can't see the semi program gaining any long run traction.
Yah hard to say and the bean counting is beyond my skill set. I see some good R & D coming out of it though. I have an engineer friend who is fairly up on this kind of thing and he sees a market for electric type semi trucks in the short and medium haul market. Like depot to depot type operations. I’m not sure what that means in terms of distance. What’s considered medium haul. 300 kilometres? 500? I would imagine short haul means something like port to warehouse. Really no idea.

Tags
charger, test